Fantasy has lost it's maturity.

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
TraneDeracs

Fantasy has lost it's maturity.

#1 Post by TraneDeracs » 15 Aug 2008 15:00

Remember everything from Highlander, Willow, the time the Super Star Destroyer collided into the side of the second Death Star due to one suicidal A-Wing pilot?

I miss the gritty realism behind fantasy. It seems to me these days they have become rather whores for the amount of digital effects one can throw onto a green screen over the dark, iconic images we all grew up and loved. Call it the 90's syndrome, however I still find it absurd that everytime a movie comes out people call it "dark", "mature", or adult in some regards when all it does it does is raise the movie rating due to a few scenes here and there.

Seriously, the Dark Knight was good however it IS a PG-13 movie and truly didn't blow my mind in terms of gritty realism I need to satisfy my mind.

Now all we have these days in terms of fantasy are every single children's author who make all these battle scenes, again thinking they are mature, when the underlying elements within the plot are left out dramatically and the only thing that even looked slightly enticing is the movie trailer.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, everything along the lines of a fictional reality has been facing a dim future ever since the Harry Potter series came out. Why the bloody Hell didn't Animorphs get the same treatment? The books were better, they had an actual story, the fight scenes WERE gory, and above all there was depth, struggle, and emotion.

Rant over...

kraemerdrummer

#2 Post by kraemerdrummer » 15 Aug 2008 16:14

Read George R. R. Martin

thats all that need be said.

Willow, ahh there was a movie
Out of the mist it's coming closer now
It never rains -- it pours on me
So let the saints
Set up the courtyard, the unpleasant cage
The obvious point is I'm insane

Hansi Smurf

the Clone Wars

#3 Post by Hansi Smurf » 16 Aug 2008 22:22

I saw an expensive movie today.
It looked nice minus the poor dubbing.

The script did nothing to advance or uplift we Bards, and the people in it were made to look primitive; unable to use Flower Childishness to have any immediate peace.

I'm still willing to be entertained by mere fluff, as well as by my own favored moral didacticism, but the script really seemed laden with the lazy, ancient and obsolete DC Comics policy of writing scripts for an illiterate audience.

And if it was merely meant to be a visually impressive, visual-effects laden, well choreographed battle-extravaganza, for the sheer joy of viewing action-packed visual entertainment? The choreography just wasn't dense or technical enough to sustain visual interest.

Too many facial close-ups and people talking, and no real reason to listen.

The ship exteriors, (just like the excellent-but-hasty spaceship inside Indy4) were far to brief, and the emotional surge of joy upon seeing their beauty was quelched far too soonly by disappointment via hasty cut!

To the Jedi from We FlowerChildren:

We despise all attackers and all defenders equally.
The only good person is already dead.

Skalds

#4 Post by Skalds » 17 Aug 2008 09:10

kraemerdrummer wrote:Willow, ahh there was a movie
"Out of the way, Peck!"
pulvis et umbra sumus

Group Hug Of Death

#5 Post by Group Hug Of Death » 17 Aug 2008 16:01

Fantasy needs more grouphugs!!!

YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP! YIP!
YOU ALL LOST THE GAME

And so did we.

Kankra

Re: Fantasy has lost it's maturity.

#6 Post by Kankra » 03 Apr 2009 13:43

TraneDeracs wrote:Remember everything from Highlander, Willow, the time the Super Star Destroyer collided into the side of the second Death Star due to one suicidal A-Wing pilot?

I miss the gritty realism behind fantasy. It seems to me these days they have become rather whores for the amount of digital effects one can throw onto a green screen over the dark, iconic images we all grew up and loved. Call it the 90's syndrome, however I still find it absurd that everytime a movie comes out people call it "dark", "mature", or adult in some regards when all it does it does is raise the movie rating due to a few scenes here and there.

Seriously, the Dark Knight was good however it IS a PG-13 movie and truly didn't blow my mind in terms of gritty realism I need to satisfy my mind.

Now all we have these days in terms of fantasy are every single children's author who make all these battle scenes, again thinking they are mature, when the underlying elements within the plot are left out dramatically and the only thing that even looked slightly enticing is the movie trailer.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, everything along the lines of a fictional reality has been facing a dim future ever since the Harry Potter series came out. Why the bloody Hell didn't Animorphs get the same treatment? The books were better, they had an actual story, the fight scenes WERE gory, and above all there was depth, struggle, and emotion.

Rant over...
Hm, lately there has been a good trend f.e. on the TV with the excellent (and gritty) series in the USA, particularly Battlestar Galactica, Deadwood, and maybe even the latest Enterprise series. Sure, that's not fantasy, but very similar in concept.

I am not sure Harry Potter has done us any good. George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is like the antithesis to Potter, and maybe the Ice&Fire tv series will help focus more on mature entertainment. Which means: thought-provoking, intelligent entertainment, not gory scenes. However "mature" the ratings are for Fast and the Furious and 300: the content is everything but mature.

At least we've come a long way from the trash superhero comics of the pre 90s. I can't imagine ever going the same way back... (altho some Asian comics are trying hard) ...

Celuden Aerwyn

#7 Post by Celuden Aerwyn » 20 May 2009 08:34

TraneDeracs wrote:Remember everything from Highlander, Willow, the time the Super Star Destroyer collided into the side of the second Death Star due to one suicidal A-Wing pilot?
He wasn't suicidal. His engines were damaged in the battle and he lost control of the ship.

Also, quit being so melodramatic. Just because it doesn't have tons of blood and guts and swearing doesn't mean it's not mature.

Hansi Smurf

The Golden Age of Science Fiction

#8 Post by Hansi Smurf » 13 Nov 2010 19:27

I read quite a lot of science-fiction/fantasy during the first half of 2000-2009. I notice that the old men of yesteryere were in fact, by and large, much more physically pleasurable for to read, than their almost-modern counterparts, the milk-sop left-wing idiots of the nineteen-eighties!

I admit that as a youth, I would have been a left-wing idiot, such as I found at the Library, too, so, no hard feelings, huh?

My own favorite example of the kind of Moral Relationship Values that I would approve of as a Member of Society, would have to be the easy-as-pie relationship written about by Robert A. Heinlein, in his "pretty good" novel, "the Puppet Masters".

Sam and Mary are a flawless couple: with an easy, loyal AND fanatical togetherness, replete with an intuitive sense of Male Dominion, AND, Sincere Female Competance!

Too, the stoning of Heinlein's free-loving super-creature character, Valentine Michael Smith, at the end of his most famous and excellent novel, "Stranger In A Strange Land"; while both sad and terrible, still illustrates to me at least, a firm moral highground, displaying Real Men's Desire for Legitimacy in Child Conception, and, a firm knowledge that all of our gonads have Created Speech Centers, replete with easy to follow pleasure urges! (Horny, engorged gonands whenever a sincere knowledge of firm monogamous attachedness might occur: yeah that's us guvnor!)

Sure I masturbate frequently, and seem to be much more emotionally/physcially pleasured by Communing with large, big-boobed, much-older fat broads: but really - they all must smell bad in real life; AND, I'd bet that they ARE all lazy and ugly to my REAL EYES up close, too! (And more importantly, they all have Husbands that all of the rest of us Men must stand up for! (I've just really gotta stop using fat, old ladies as sex-fantasies! No excuses!))

Post Script:

You? Thinking anyone an earnest and sincere Killer and/or Racist? You must not be able for to recite Our Own Mantra: "The World Was Long Ago Created By A Perfect God!"

Too, if any of you still sincerely believe in the Wickedness of Men? Go to your own Local State Mental Hospital - Immediately!

And finally: if yah think everyone had better be unarmed and defenseless? FUCK OFF!

:mrgreen:

Dragon Guardian

#9 Post by Dragon Guardian » 18 Nov 2010 18:29

check out Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Hansi Smurf

To The Staff & Posters Here!

#10 Post by Hansi Smurf » 19 Nov 2010 00:05

Administrators? Blind Guardian? When somebody aboard Spaceship Earth posts a single sentence - why won't you erase said posting?

Bards? Bardesses? Or as me, and them as-yet unjealous little kids all prefer: Boasts & Scolds? Please refrain from writing "read this book statements", unless you are willing for to provide some kind of Critical Review, Plot-Synopsis - or some other emotion-stirring syntax-device!

The Forum, I believe, deserves for to be a properly composed and heavily edited Work of Art, that any new BLIND GUARDIAN listener could come aboard upon, and then thus become legitimately IQ-enhanced via!

Donovan

#11 Post by Donovan » 27 Nov 2010 17:19

Firefly was excellent. It handled a number of more "mature" themes, and often called into question the morality of its characters. One moment, the star protagonist is doing something for the sake of "good" or whatever, the next he's just making sure everyone survives. There's actual character growth, with failure, redemption, etc. All in the face of the generic outerspace as cowboy themes or something.
Today is only yesterdays tomorrow...

Tomorroworroww