Modern Warfare 2

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Mackasfour

Modern Warfare 2

#1 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Nov 2009 05:43

Do we have any gamers among us? Anyone else getting it?

2 more days till release over here, can't wait :mrgreen:

/discuss
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

West Virginia Mule

Re: Modern Warfare 2

#2 Post by West Virginia Mule » 09 Nov 2009 08:08

I wanted to take my son to the Gamestop midnight launch tomorrow night, but I ended up having to work (night shift). So I'll pick it up Tuesday morning sometime and he can get his mitts on it after school. As for me, yeah, of course I'll be playing it too. Pretending to kill foreigners is always fun. What, you attack the home of Ali Ali Obama? I keel your ass!

Well, anyway. See you in multiplayer for the next two years. Unless the president kills my job. In that case please send food.
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#3 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Nov 2009 11:33

Thinking about going to midnight launch, got 3 hours left to decide... hmmm
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

West Virginia Mule

#4 Post by West Virginia Mule » 09 Nov 2009 12:14

They've got marines coming to the local store here for the midnight launch. I wonder if they're gonna autograph the games. Heh.
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#5 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Nov 2009 12:15

Ha! we'll have a lot of nerds there...

Anyways I don't think I'll bother, I'll just pick it up first thing after school

West Virginia Mule

#6 Post by West Virginia Mule » 09 Nov 2009 12:25

You guys are living a day ahead of us. It's like 5:20AM here. Ten minutes until it's time to go home from work, yay. But you're in the future, the world of tomorrow. Do you have flying cars?
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#7 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Nov 2009 12:27

Not yet, but oh so close

West Virginia Mule

#8 Post by West Virginia Mule » 09 Nov 2009 15:07

In the end, we bought four copies of Call of Duty 4. Two for the Xbox 360 (the first disc cracked) and two for the PC. Why two for the PC? Well, you see, I'd bought a boxed copy and later decided to also buy the Steam version because I like to keep Fat Gabe happy. What? I don't have any psychological problems at all. And no, I don't pirate games and have never pirated even one game in my life. Criminals, one and all.

I am hoping, however, to only buy one copy of Modern Warfare 2, this Xbox 360 version for my son. You see, I have to save my scant money to buy government healthcare or they'll put me in prison. It's the new American way: buy government healthcare or go to jail. It's the only way to save the country from that dreaded freedom thing they've been so hung up on for the last coupla centuries. I hope in the Washington, D.C. parts of Modern Warfare 2 (if that's a playable part of the game) they have the White House rendered, because I'm going to empty every weapon I have into it. In the name of freedom, you understand, defending America from the invaders. Me and Soap and Captain Price. Heh.
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#9 Post by Mackasfour » 10 Nov 2009 07:44

Ha! Talk about irony, didn't pick it up at midnight, said I'd get it this afternoon but I have no way of getting into town :x

I am pissed but still trying to keep a positive spin :P

West Virginia Mule

#10 Post by West Virginia Mule » 10 Nov 2009 16:33

Mackasfour wrote:Talk about irony, didn't pick it up at midnight, said I'd get it this afternoon but I have no way of getting into town
I'm not sure that's really irony, but it's...you know...something.

You could catch a ride in a kangaroo's pouch. Nah, that would be...icky.

Used to be I'd have to drive for hours and hours before I found electricity...err...I mean, a game store. Then they opened a GameStop about ten minutes from my house. Not that I go there much. It smells funny.
I am pissed but still trying to keep a positive spin
The positive spin is that you're still alive. The game will still be there tomorrow. Hell, it might even be there the day after tomorrow.
KILROY WAS HERE

Frozen within

#11 Post by Frozen within » 10 Nov 2009 19:40

There are plans to ban this game in Holland, or so I've just heard on tv. Supposedly this game is so close to the real thing that it just might put bad ideas into the minds of the young and reckless. Yeah, counterstrike looked like bowling and I could have sworn I was fly fishing when I played previous warbased fps games. Couldn't care less if the game got banned though, but a little ironic (and pathetic imo) it would be indeed.
Eat more vegetables !

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Nov 2009 20:11

I read that also. Idiocy, I'd say. I admit to not having played the game yet and thus not knowing what the fuss is all about, but in general I find discussions about banning games quite pointless. The game is rated 18+ so that should be enough. I understand that the scene in question is quite tasteless and gruesome, but the same can be said about thousands of movies available in stores.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

West Virginia Mule

#13 Post by West Virginia Mule » 11 Nov 2009 00:48

When you first load up MW2, before you even get to the splash start screen, you're given the option to skip the "offensive" scene(s) in the campaign part of the game. I think it's about the shooting civilians in an airport part.

And I fully agree with Rohan. If a game is rated M 17+ it should have free reign to have any material that a R-rated movie has. It's not for kids. Having said that, my well-under-17 son is in the living room playing it right now, multiplayer, but I'm going to see what's in the campaign before he does just in case it's something that will warp his mind and send him on a killing spree in school. :lol:

These people. :roll:

Remember, when I was in high school in the 80s, Judas Priest was making people kill themselves. Hah.

No one is ever responsible for their own actions. The devil makes them do it, whether that devil is music, movies, videogames or...you know...anything convenient for an excuse.
KILROY WAS HERE

The Rider Of Rohan

#14 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 11 Nov 2009 08:00

At least you know what your kids are up to behind their console, and I wager you'll talk about the things they see in the digital world, too. That's one of the foundations of good parenting. Unfortunately nowadays a lot of parents tuck their kids away in a room with a computer just to have some piece of mind themselves, completely unaware of what goes on in the kids head. If parents can't tell a MW2 from Little Big Planet, it's no wonder they'll be overreacting when they're suddenly confronted of the airport-scene. But if something goes wrong with those kids later in their lives, I blame bad parenting.. not videogames.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Mackasfour

#15 Post by Mackasfour » 11 Nov 2009 10:38

Yeah, got it... and I can definitely understand the contraversy over the airport stage. Really all it is is walking around an airport gunning down civillians. But at least Infinity Ward put in the skip offensive missions feature.

Anyways, so far it's great. Best game I've ever played :mrgreen:

Lilyael

#16 Post by Lilyael » 11 Nov 2009 12:46

I have fantasies about coming into this office with a fuck-off huge uzi and gunning down the man in the pink tie. And I don't even play video games. Ever.

But I do listen to Ozzy......
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Mackasfour

#17 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Nov 2009 06:10

You need help :mrgreen:

Andreas

#18 Post by Andreas » 12 Nov 2009 11:53

Wow, a FPS. Haven't played one of those in ages. Shoud do it more often. Anyway, as long as it has a god mode cheat, I'm in.

And my guess is that this game can't be played on this computer :(

Mackasfour

#19 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Nov 2009 11:58

You'd be wrong, is what I am playing it on

Andreas

#20 Post by Andreas » 12 Nov 2009 13:14

Not on the computer I'm using right now. Way too low-end. The maximum would be games like The Godfather and Battle for Middle-Earth 1.

Lilyael

#21 Post by Lilyael » 12 Nov 2009 13:20

yeah we also have a shite PC- The Bloke wants to get a new one for, like, £800..... :roll:

Where does he think we're going to get that money from, I wonder ? Bumblefuck's gigantic arse of gold ?? :roll:

Gandalf de Grijze

#22 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Nov 2009 14:08

well.. if you do find a money tree.. send me some of the fruits as well will ya?
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#23 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 12 Nov 2009 19:02

Well, if your pc sucks and you really want to play the game, you could consider buying an Xbox 360. A new one is available for €150, and second hand you can get them for a very low price as well.

(just do what I did last year: I bought a second-hand Xbox with 4 games, a memcard and two controllers for €100; sold all but the Xbox for €90, and thus only paid €10 for the console).
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Cerbere

#24 Post by Cerbere » 13 Nov 2009 01:53

Or buy a ps3, because they are better

Mackasfour

#25 Post by Mackasfour » 13 Nov 2009 07:22

To hell they are. Anyways finished the campaign (took my time) and now it's time to jump into Multiplayer, this is gonna be sweet :mrgreen:

Led Guardian

#26 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Nov 2009 02:21

Cerbere wrote:Or buy a ps3, because they are better
+1 for systems that don't keep breaking
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 14 Nov 2009 03:40

All my mates haven't had a single problem.

Cerbere

#28 Post by Cerbere » 14 Nov 2009 19:48

Well then they're part of the 2/3 of the people with xbox 360s that haven't broke

Lilyael

#29 Post by Lilyael » 14 Nov 2009 22:09

yeah we had to send ours away. It came back with new stuff or something, it's been fine since.

Cerbere

#30 Post by Cerbere » 15 Nov 2009 04:45

Besides MAG isn't coming out for the 360, only the ps3 :P

Mackasfour

#31 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Nov 2009 06:11

What?

Multiplayer is pretty dam sweet, though I am bummed that they took away our Lobby system :cry:

So no-one other then me and WVM got MW2?

Mackasfour

#33 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Nov 2009 06:43

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

Hope it works, it's gonna make MW2 crap without dedicated servers on PC. Infinityward shouldn't screw us PC gamers over :P

power_dysfunction

#34 Post by power_dysfunction » 15 Nov 2009 08:18

That's the main reason we decided to get it on PS3- I have a PC that could handle it without breaking a sweat, and I usually get FPS games for PC because of better graphics and mouse control. The other major reason for getting it on PS3 is local multiplayer.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

Mackasfour

#35 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Nov 2009 08:32

I still would've bought MW2 for PC if it was just for the campaign, but it has made MP crap with no dedicated servers and I hope that IW realises their mistake and gives them back

West Virginia Mule

#36 Post by West Virginia Mule » 28 Dec 2009 11:04

I've put over 100 hours into MW2 multiplayer on the PC. And...and...maybe another 30 hours on MW2 multiuplayer on the Xbox 360. I'm a far better player on the PC because: my old eyes and dead reflexes + better controls (mouse and wasd) + higher resolution (1920x1200) = better player.

I'm not proud of this. When I rank up and unlock new this-n-thats I pretend that I'm actually doing something meaningful with my life. Sometimes it works, but usually not so much.
KILROY WAS HERE

The Rider Of Rohan

#37 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 28 Dec 2009 11:46

A hundred hours is impressive. Did you end up buying a second copy anyways?

I finished the singleplayer campaign last week and shelved my copy after that (I am not into multiplayer). It was a worthwhile experience, especially the first half of the game. I played it on normal difficulty, but found that it was all a lot harder than the previous games. I love the -I-cant-handle-this gameplay the game throws at you: all of a sudden you are being attacked from three sides at once, blindly gunning back at everything that moves, not able to - or interested in - telling the beards from the civs.

I was told from someone who served in Afghanistan that this game is closest to actual warfare he has ever seen, and I can imagine why.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Mackasfour

#38 Post by Mackasfour » 28 Dec 2009 11:51

Level 23 1st Prestige, M4A1 is awesome :D and tac knifing is fun

West Virginia Mule

#39 Post by West Virginia Mule » 28 Dec 2009 23:19

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:A hundred hours is impressive. Did you end up buying a second copy anyways?
Well...got my son the Hardened Xbox 360 version. Realized I'd never get to play it. Heh. So...I bought it on Steam also.

My Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/psychodadpc <--upper right corner has recent games played, with "hours played last two weeks/total hours on record" stats (102.9 hours on MW2 multiplayer right now, sheesh)
I finished the singleplayer campaign last week and shelved my copy after that (I am not into multiplayer). It was a worthwhile experience, especially the first half of the game. I played it on normal difficulty, but found that it was all a lot harder than the previous games. I love the -I-cant-handle-this gameplay the game throws at you: all of a sudden you are being attacked from three sides at once, blindly gunning back at everything that moves, not able to - or interested in - telling the beards from the civs.
The singleplayer game is good, better than MW1 and all previous CoD games because they've fixed the old idiot mechanism where enemies would respawn endlessly until you crossed a magic line that stopped them. I got through on veteran difficulty on both the Xbox and PC versions, but that's because I'm into self-abuse. Heh.
I was told from someone who served in Afghanistan that this game is closest to actual warfare he has ever seen, and I can imagine why.
I've read military dudes saying the AC130 level from MW1 is very realistic.

However...I work twelve hours a day with a 20 year army veteran who spent the last two years of his career in Iraq, and he just looks at me like I'm an idiot (well, that's what most people do anyway, heh) when I ask him if certain aspects of Modern Warfare games are realistic. I guess playing war in a videogame is ultimately about as realistic as playing guitar hero in a videogame.
KILROY WAS HERE

West Virginia Mule

#40 Post by West Virginia Mule » 28 Dec 2009 23:27

:mrgreen:
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#41 Post by Mackasfour » 29 Dec 2009 11:43

Just ahead of me :P

What's your favourite game mode and have you gotten a tac nuke yet? I have gotten 2 though one was a huge fluke :twisted:

Cerbere

#42 Post by Cerbere » 29 Dec 2009 22:46

I just do TDM, and I haven't gotten a tactical nuke yet :(. I usually end up with the most kills in the match I'm playing in but also a lot of deaths, so I don't get very high streaks.

I'm level 20, no prestige (I just got it for christmas). The AA-12 kicks penis. My favorite class is the M4A1 grenadier with the AA-12 as a secondary. I also like the UMP45 with the thumper.

West Virginia Mule

#43 Post by West Virginia Mule » 30 Dec 2009 01:11

Nah, no nukes for me yet. I'm not a good enough run and gunner and I don't find camping a whole match trying for that killstreak to be much fun.

I like sabotage a lot, and good ol' TDM and hardcore TDM. I played tons of HQ and domination in World at War, but haven't done much of them in MW2.

And yeah, I use the M4 a lot. It's got great range for an AR and very little recoil. M4/silencer/slight of hand/stopping power/steady aim is kind of the (obvious) standard for me, but I switch stuff around a lot to get the various challenges. Don't need stopping power when playing HC games, so I usually go with hardline in its place.

It's a little different when I play on the Xbox 360 because the control is more difficult for me with the gamepad and, also, my view distance is reduced due to the lesser resolution (the distance becomes a blur of blobs rather than sharp and clear). I need to use red dot or holographic sight or even ACOG just to see things and be halfway competitive with all the 10 year old console kids. Heh.
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#44 Post by Mackasfour » 30 Dec 2009 06:49

Well my favourite is demolition though I have been playing TDM a fair bit lately.

Yes I agree, M4A1 is awesome, best Assault Rifle followed by the Scar-H. I practically have 2 classes now

Run'N'Gun
M4A1(Iron Sight)
ATH-S(or whatever it is for taking down those pesky harriers)
Sleight of Hand
Stopping Power
Commando(pro for the no damage fall)
Semtex
2 Flashes

Sniper
50cal or Intervention(thermal scope) I like to switch between the 2
Supressed AA-12
Scavenger
Stopping Power
Commando pro (same reason, I jump a lot :P)
Claymore
2 flashes

I like sniping quite a lot, lay down a clay, when someone dies go scavenger a clay and set it down :D . Works a charm. M4A1 is great, got the 2nd tac nuke with it. I don't think I should've prestiged, had fall on the M4A1 and Intervention :mrgreen: But the titles and emblems are awesome :P

You guys tried shielding or tac knifing? now that's fun as :D

Cerbere

#45 Post by Cerbere » 30 Dec 2009 08:37

Yeah I have a riot shield class, I find it's very useful on non hardcore but I always end up dying on hardcore.

I would tell you my classes but I can't remember the perks off the top of my head and I don't feel like starting up my ps3 right now.

West Virginia Mule

#46 Post by West Virginia Mule » 31 Dec 2009 02:57

I had fall cammo on my M4 also before prestige. I've worked my way back up to...uh...blue again this time so far. Those prestige challenges take a while, too. Whoa.

I'm almost done with the Vector challenges on the 360, other than accumulating the 40 FMJ kills. Ugh. I also use th M16 on the 360 for long range maps like Estate and Wasteland. But I've been sticking with the M4A1 on the PC.

I don't snipe very much, although I did do it long enough to get all those Ghillie one-hit-kill challenges.

I'm one of those people that hates on knife sprinters and 1887 akimbo idiots. :p
KILROY WAS HERE

Mackasfour

#47 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Dec 2009 03:21

I hate on models and I don't mind knife sprinters, it's the ones that use the care package glitch that shit me

Mackasfour

#48 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Dec 2009 03:31

With each move IW loses more respect for me. They fuck over the people that gave CoD a name, take away our dedi servers and now they're making us pay for map packs... fucking bullshit

Cerbere

#49 Post by Cerbere » 31 Dec 2009 06:05

Um, what's the care package glitch?

Mackasfour

#50 Post by Mackasfour » 31 Dec 2009 06:22

Get the care package KS, get the smoke nade in your hand and sprint with marathon and lightweight on. So fast

edit: the smoke nade you throw for the Care package heli that is, don't throw it, just run