My NIME (cd) covers

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Nahar

My NIME (cd) covers

#1 Post by Nahar » 23 Jun 2012 23:57

Hi,
I'm studying visual communication, and got an assignment to do a series of CD covers for 3-5 singles. I chose to try and take all of them from Nightfall in Middle-Earth.

This is what I got so far:
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ ... 20Singles/

These are not in the line of the traditional BG covers (and I guess quite a few won't like it even just for that), as I don't have the will, time or ability to make an epic painting for each. I tried to give the feeling of the music rather than show the subject of the lyrics (though two variations have something of that too).

I'd like to see what BG fans would say about it.
Which one works best?
What bothers you?
Anything else?...
Please be honest, but also please accept the materials I'm using and comment accordingly if possible.

Thanks!
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

T3hOverlord

Re: My NIME (cd) covers

#2 Post by T3hOverlord » 24 Jun 2012 03:18

The Curse of Feanor one is really cool

I dont like the Thorn one because I keep seeing the two top brown leaves as a finger and a thumb attempting to pick the green plant

Nahar

#3 Post by Nahar » 24 Jun 2012 07:59

Thanks!

Which Curse of Feanor?..

wade-newb

#4 Post by wade-newb » 24 Jun 2012 11:06

I like the one for Thorn, but those graphics that look like holes in glass? They're kind of cheesy and ruin it a bit. And the symbols on both Curse of Feanor and Time Stands Still are good, but look a bit odd with the tone of the covers overall.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

T3hOverlord

#5 Post by T3hOverlord » 25 Jun 2012 02:02

The Curse of Feanor one with the symbol is really good, but I think it would be better if you could somehow blend the symbol into the backround and darken it a bit

Nahar

#6 Post by Nahar » 27 Jun 2012 22:35

Thanks again for the comments..

I got a review from my teacher today.

Sadly I didn't get to bring it to the level I wanted to get.

The teacher, anyway, appreciated the results (not very different from the first stuff, but without the heraldic Tolkien symbols).
He said something that surprised me a bit and I didn't think about before, though I still believe it's arguable:
Said that the Blind Guardian logo is bad if I want to show (as I do) the deeper aspects of the music.
He said it's very cliche, and that you get a very specific notion of what you're about to hear...
(and it's very hard to compete with it with the rest of the graphics)

I'm wondering about it..
Their name is also, as they themselves have said, kind of silly
So maybe the problem is not just the logo, but the whole name.

This is a silly problem on the one hand - as it's superficial to "judge a book by its cover".
But I still get frustrated many times when people have such solid ideas of BG's music
which is much deeper, as you all know, than it seems...

Think it's something that should change somehow (the logo, or even the name)?

Thoreg

#7 Post by Thoreg » 28 Jun 2012 20:46

Said that the Blind Guardian logo is bad if I want to show (as I do) the deeper aspects of the music.
He said it's very cliche, and that you get a very specific notion of what you're about to hear...
Your teacher is wrong and has no idea about Blind Guardian and metal music (and industry). They have a strong name with a strong logo like balls of steel. Hey they are a band's name and logo, they were meant to stand out and give a specific notion of what you're about to hear. In my opinion both the name and the logo correctly cover all the aspects of the music and the lyrics. Where did you read that the band themselves think it's silly?
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

T3hOverlord

#8 Post by T3hOverlord » 28 Jun 2012 21:33

Yes I agree their logo is "strong like balls of steel" as well as their name, but it does convey a very specific niche, it mainly fits for the earlier recordings. You're teacher, I believe, is right in saying that it does not exactly help in conveying the deeper, more emotional aspects of the bands music. I think we can all agree the name BLIND GUARDIAN is cheesy as hell, as well as a shiny golden logo. I personally think it kicks ass, but to an outsider, it definitely doesn't help.

Thoreg

#9 Post by Thoreg » 28 Jun 2012 23:02

T3hOverlord wrote:Yes I agree their logo is "strong like balls of steel" as well as their name, but it does convey a very specific niche, it mainly fits for the earlier recordings. You're teacher, I believe, is right in saying that it does not exactly help in conveying the deeper, more emotional aspects of the bands music. I think we can all agree the name BLIND GUARDIAN is cheesy as hell, as well as a shiny golden logo. I personally think it kicks ass, but to an outsider, it definitely doesn't help.
I definitely don't agree, I don't think the name is cheesy. If you understand it as "guardian of the blind" it holds a deeper meaning, I interpret it like "protector of the uninformed". Or meaned literally, the blind guardian - the hooded (blind) guy is a great fantasy character, maybe a storyteller or wizard. What more would you like?

The not too harsh but still strong consonants in the name also suggest the fantastic mood of the art they make.
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

Nahar

#10 Post by Nahar » 29 Jun 2012 12:43

hmm..
I also had no complaints before
(except, maybe, for the fact that it was stolen from the Bee Gee's)

And I agree with both of you, in a way..
The name has it's special qualities that relate to the music.
For one thing its meaning is not very clear, which is great in my opinion - cause their lyrics are not clear either.
It has a nice metal-sound to it, but other than the unclear meaning, it might be too much into Metal.

Anyway - for a designer, to make a new album cover attractive to new audience that is not impressed with the Power-Metal aspect of music is really hard work, as the logo is very dominant.

Actually, when looking now on some covers, they somehow try to merge the logo and soften it after NIME.
I think that in And Then There Was Silence the designer did a great job :)

I tried to keep it clean (in my attempts), but that was a mistake, since it only made it more visible, and didn't really take the gothic feel away..

T3hOverlord

#11 Post by T3hOverlord » 30 Jun 2012 01:07

Thoreg wrote:the hooded (blind) guy is a great fantasy character, maybe a storyteller or wizard.

Yeah, most people consider "wizards" to be pretty cheesy

I of course personally think it's kickass, I'm just arguing for the general public