Singing over "Wheel of Time" (orchestral version)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Alpha Penguin

Singing over "Wheel of Time" (orchestral version)

#1 Post by Alpha Penguin » 27 Jun 2012 02:14

Let's hope youtube doesn't take down my vocal cover!!! D:

I'm not a perfect singer but hey, this was a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR9B6kvra8k
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

residentour

Re: Singing over "Wheel of Time" (orchestral version)

#2 Post by residentour » 27 Jun 2012 02:37

Hey John,

I am still waiting for the dry vocal files of Curse of Feanor and Tanelorn Into the Void :D

BTW great singing & scream , oh there is that nice Hat on video :o

Alpha Penguin

#3 Post by Alpha Penguin » 27 Jun 2012 02:48

Bah I know man :(
I forgot about it and then when I remembered I was too scared to bring it up again cos I'd look like a douche, so my apologies man!
I've been learning how to use Logic Pro, so I'm pretty sure I can send them to you soon now. PM me your email!! :)

And thanks, this was my best Hansi impression so I hope I came at least a LITTLE close xD
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Lord_Of_Noldor

#4 Post by Lord_Of_Noldor » 27 Jun 2012 12:13

A few things actually:
1.Did you realise the writing on the paper is backwards?
2.The hat makes you look a bit like Tobias Sammet ;)
3.The way you sing the part "the young man said i will never give up" THAT'S how you should sing, you're voice sounds awesome :)
4.If you have the time to work on your timing with the vocal layers, you can achieve SO much more!!
Last but not least, I definitely like what you've done.
GOOD JOB!!
P.S. does this mean you've be tempted to do more, like nightfall for instance? ;)
The vision fades there is no sanctuary,
What will go up surely comes down!

http://www.facebook.com/gaz.the.jester
http://youtube.com/gazbg123 - too see my blind guardian uploads ;)

Alpha Penguin

#5 Post by Alpha Penguin » 27 Jun 2012 19:06

1. I didn't realize :(
2. Thanks! Haha, I realized that after I bought it xD
3. Yeah, I've been told my gentler mid-range stuff is great..but I LOVE singing high like Hansi!! D: haha
4. This kind of singing is very physically demanding, I didn't have the patience to micro-manage the layers and layers :S
Next time though! :D

Yes, I was thinking of covering Residentour's Nightfall cover :D

Nahar

#6 Post by Nahar » 03 Jul 2012 11:18

I guess this has to do with the fact that I'm not a Power Metal fan, but even though you're not bad, the voice sounds a bit too generic to me.
It didn't bother me so much on the Tommyknockers cover, since you've made something new of it, but here you're just substituting Hansi (and the choir) and in that case it takes it too much into ordinary Power Metal.
I don't know if it's a matter of natural voice, a voice of choice or something else, but I would like to hear such BG covers with new kinds of vocals, taking it into new fields rather than the old (and for me tiresome) Power Metal scene.
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

Alpha Penguin

#7 Post by Alpha Penguin » 09 Jul 2012 07:26

Well if you're not a power metal fan then why are you here on a BLIND GUARDIAN forum?? Lol!
I didn't do this cover for youtube views, nor did I do it to get compliments. The way I sing comes natural to me, I'm not trying to be Timo Kotipelto, Hansi Kursch, Bruce Dickinson, or any other singer for that matter. I don't care what you would like to hear because I'm not doing these covers for anyone but myself, anyone who happens to like 'em is simply a bonus. I expect that not everyone will like the cover, but it surprises me, that someone who doesn't like power metal in the first place is on a Blind Guardian forum haha

Anyways, I hope you enjoy more of my stereotypical, cheesy, boring, done-to-death power metal covers ;-)

bard_92

#8 Post by bard_92 » 09 Jul 2012 18:25

In my opinion BG are probably not the best example for power metal. Their music is way more original and epic, and Hansi's voice is totally different from the other 98% of the power metal vocalists, the music theu made is more complex and so on... Don't get me wrong, I like power metal, but even Marcus said in a interview a long time ago, to CALL their music just metal.

Alpha Penguin

#9 Post by Alpha Penguin » 09 Jul 2012 19:46

I guess I can agree, that's one of the things I love so much about Blind Guardian: the musical journey they've made from 'Battalions of Fear' to 'At the Edge of Time'!

residentour

#10 Post by residentour » 11 Jul 2012 00:11

I call Blind Guardian as Metal 2.0 :D They are always ahead of their time.

Nahar

#11 Post by Nahar » 12 Jul 2012 18:46

I don't like many bands from any genre,
and many of the bands I like don't exactly belong to any genre.
I started listening to Metal through Power Metal. Stratovarius, Blind Guardian and Hammerfall albums were the first Metal I owned.
I wasn't listening to many other bands at the time and I was hoping to find the "best band ever". After some time I realized that that must be the band I will never get tired listening to. I got tired of Stratovarius and Hammerfall while my interest and enjoyment in Blind Guardian only grew. I got to listen to other PM bands and they couldn't catch on, and so I found many other directions (some of which, like 70's prog, thanks to BG's recommendations) and Blind Guardian stayed at the top for me.

I think limits are fine, but trying to fit yourself into a genre, rather than trying to explore Music through it (and possibly out of it) is paralysing and doing things backwards.
For me it's surprising that Blind Guardian fans like standard Power Metal bands...
"As darkness came it brought along silence.
Yet silence also bears madness.
Silence surrounds me - a deathly silence"...

Alpha Penguin

#12 Post by Alpha Penguin » 07 Aug 2012 09:17

-Yes well as I said I don't try fitting myself into any genre or style, the way I sing is simply the way I naturally sing. Hammerfall is fun for two songs and then it's tiresome, Stratovarius is also entertaining but only for slightly longer, but I agree: Blind Guardian is genre-transcending and engrossing. Because Blind Guardian is usually grouped with power metal, I call them the best of power metal. Though to accurately label them would be crazy haha, something like "progressive orchestral power-thrash metal"?
-Fuck limits, limitations result in a stagnation
-The only real "standard" power metal bands I like are...hmmm...Angra, Sabaton, Gamma Ray, Demons & Wizards, Iced Earth, Freedom Call, and Helloween. Music is inherently subjective though, so I say it's completely ignorant and short-sighted to criticize one's tastes in music... If you don't like standard power metal then that's your own problem, no need to come in here and make a big deal out of it. If you don't like my voice that's fine, I don't aim to please everyone, if you don't like power metal that's fine also, you won't be missed.