Blind Guardian's 10th Album, "Beyond the Red Mirror"

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
bard_92

Re: Blind Guardian LP10

#1051 Post by bard_92 » 14 Jan 2015 20:20

Wizard's Crown wrote:Today I ve read two Greek reviews for the album..the first one said that the bards are trying to release a masterpiece but somehow they failed however it is a very good album like the last one..the other review was more strict and gave the album 7/10 saying that it is a bombastic album with not much essence..but what was undeniable in both reviews was the mediocre production..i guess all we can do is to wait and see..

According to what their words "somehow failed" are?
Btw, thanks for the info!

blindgfan

#1052 Post by blindgfan » 14 Jan 2015 20:27

Wizard's Crown wrote:Today I ve read two Greek reviews for the album..the first one said that the bards are trying to release a masterpiece but somehow they failed however it is a very good album like the last one..the other review was more strict and gave the album 7/10 saying that it is a bombastic album with not much essence..but what was undeniable in both reviews was the mediocre production..i guess all we can do is to wait and see..
Is the link available?

Wizard's Crown

#1053 Post by Wizard's Crown » 14 Jan 2015 20:57

http://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details ... M.facebook

http://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/Bli ... rror/5903/

At the end of the second link, the reviewer sums up that even though the band could easily step back and give their audience just "good" albums instead they go into deep waters searching selfishly for a masterpiece. And even though this album is not a masterpiece, it still shows that the band is one of the best giving us an album full of beautiful music. At the drawbacks of the album he states that the album is a very complex and difficult hearing which needs time,also the production cause it sounds a little plastic (his exact words) and that the band struggles to find the perfect balance between the band and the orchestra..

bard_92

#1054 Post by bard_92 » 14 Jan 2015 21:06

Wizard's Crown wrote:http://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details ... M.facebook

http://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/Bli ... rror/5903/

At the end of the second link, the reviewer sums up that even though the band could easily step back and give their audience just "good" albums instead they go into deep waters searching selfishly for a masterpiece. And even though this album is not a masterpiece, it still shows that the band is one of the best giving us an album full of beautiful music. At the drawbacks of the album he states that the album is a very complex and difficult hearing which needs time,also the production cause it sounds a little plastic (his exact words) and that the band struggles to find the perfect balance between the band and the orchestra..

Thanks a lot!!!! I expected this to be the problem, which means that for some people it would really be a masterpiece I hope!!! But thanks! ;)

Wizard's Crown

#1055 Post by Wizard's Crown » 14 Jan 2015 21:13

It doesn't say that it's a failure the opposite I think...I believe that it is going to be a very enjoyable listening like the previous album...We shouldn't lose our hope!! :wink: :D

bard_92

#1056 Post by bard_92 » 14 Jan 2015 21:15

Wizard's Crown wrote:It doesn't say that it's a failure the opposite I think...I believe that it is going to be a very enjoyable listening like the previous album...We shouldn't lose our hope!! :wink: :D
Losing our hopes... What are you talking about, I've never been more exited!!! :mrgreen: :D

Wizard's Crown

#1057 Post by Wizard's Crown » 14 Jan 2015 21:19

bard_92 wrote:
Wizard's Crown wrote:It doesn't say that it's a failure the opposite I think...I believe that it is going to be a very enjoyable listening like the previous album...We shouldn't lose our hope!! :wink: :D
Losing our hopes... What are you talking about, I've never been more exited!!! :mrgreen: :D
That's what I want to hear...you are the enthusiastic one in this forum (Y)!

bard_92

#1058 Post by bard_92 » 14 Jan 2015 21:35

Wizard's Crown wrote:
bard_92 wrote:
That's what I want to hear...you are the enthusiastic one in this forum (Y)!
Don't blame me!!! BG is one of the best things ever happened in my life!!!
I like writing...and they're just my biggest inspiration! When I see Hansi's face, I just get creative :D
I know that there's nothing perfect in this world...just doesn't matter what it is - the production, the humans, our country or what else...but as far as they're the closest thing to perfection in musical wise(for me), I would be enthusiastic!!! :D

Gandalf de Grijze

#1059 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 14 Jan 2015 21:49

Wizard's Crown wrote:At the end of the second link, the reviewer sums up that even though the band could easily step back and give their audience just "good" albums instead they go into deep waters searching selfishly for a masterpiece.
They make it sound like this is a bad thing... I think every artist, in order to keep motivated should always look to achieve a new masterpiece... it isn't selfish, it is what Art is all about!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Gandalf de Grijze

#1060 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 14 Jan 2015 21:52

Wizard's Crown wrote:At the drawbacks of the album he states that the album is a very complex and difficult hearing which needs time,
Also this is, in my humble opinion, a positive thing, and definately not a drawback!
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Wizard's Crown

#1061 Post by Wizard's Crown » 14 Jan 2015 21:58

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
Wizard's Crown wrote:At the drawbacks of the album he states that the album is a very complex and difficult hearing which needs time,
Also this is, in my humble opinion, a positive thing, and definately not a drawback!
He doesn't exactly say that it is a drawback...more of a point of consideration..but I have to say that by complex maybe it means that there are too much elements in one song and I believe that it is a common say that too much isn't always right

Edit: also for your previous comment by this "selfish try" he means that the band trying to give an excellent product they exaggerate things (I remind you the 3 choirs which is probably around 250 people singing)..but those are just my assumptions as I have not heard the album

Traveller in Time

#1062 Post by Traveller in Time » 14 Jan 2015 22:34

sorry to be a bit offtopic, but about this compression thign, there is a really well made homepage about it!

http://www.cnet.com/news/compression-is ... our-music/

I just can repeat myself, maybe BG wants Charlie to make them sound like this more compressed sound, ever thought of that?
Not all of Charlie's productions are compressed, or? I'm far no expert, but i have to say that i prefer the older BG mixes although the new ones have some new "focus points" on other music details. But for example the drums sound in older productions more alive than in the newest.

Do you guys now Rage's LMO latest output. In my opinion its production is really good and it is done by Charlie.
I really would like to know if you think it is as compressed like BGs new outputs?
It makes fun to read in here! 8)
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

Dragonfly

#1063 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 00:52

You know what, I just read that article and I think it's really great and interesting but now I feel like a sad, sad little human-like creature severely disappointed by the quality of music today. It wasn't that much of a surprise, really, but still kinda managed to bring home all those horrors of compression and the fucking loudness war :cry: :( :evil:.
Nobody will ever let you know
When you ask the reasons why,
They just tell you that you're on your own,
Fill your head all full of lies

Rokubota

#1064 Post by Rokubota » 15 Jan 2015 03:45

The first Demons and Wizards record had a good production IMO. A lot of atmosphere and a great guitar sound.

It's kinda sad how BG have their own studio and they still sound like shit. Devin Townsend is a genius or something.

Ryu

#1065 Post by Ryu » 15 Jan 2015 08:41

Rokubota wrote:The first Demons and Wizards record had a good production IMO. A lot of atmosphere and a great guitar sound.

It's kinda sad how BG have their own studio and they still sound like shit. Devin Townsend is a genius or something.
Would you say any of the Memories of a Time To Come re-recordings were decent? I at least think they sound better than Twilight of the Gods turned out.
Defiant of destiny

OmegaSlayer

#1066 Post by OmegaSlayer » 15 Jan 2015 09:34

Back to the production, I want to make my pèosition clear.
Charlie is a good producer but not the best.
The sound BG and Charlie created is not the best for BG.
Sometimes every man in the World needs a new fresh input to look at things with a different persepective and be able to move forward.

Also, wall of sound doesn't mean powerful sound.
In my opinion when you barely can hear the bass guitar and the rhythm guitar is mostly a mess in the background, the sound is not good even if it sounds big.

With this kind of sound Marcus' work is literally butchered to pieces.
He could literally just play open chords and the result would be the same.

To say the last thing...making good music doesn't equate in knowing how to make it sound.
The reworked version of ANATO is imho a turd, BG themselves butchered it removing stuff here and there, raising and lowering volumes of instruments almost pointlessly or just for the sake of it.
Let's not talk about ATTWS new version on the best of which is an abortion.

Again, I love BG, you all love your mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, but you have to be honest when they screw up things.

ErHaO

#1067 Post by ErHaO » 15 Jan 2015 12:58

It seems quite some reviewers make the statement that Grand Parade is one of their best songs ever. Makes me really curious. I do not really listen to reviewers opinions though, unless they really word it well in a way that I can translate it to my personal taste (some like/dislike classic metal more, like/dislike lower tuned guitars, like/dislike prog for example). I love to read the song descriptions, however. Seems like a well balanced album to me, like ATEOT. I am getting the vibes of a ATEOT leaning towards ANATO with a concept and some scifi elements.
OmegaSlayer wrote:Back to the production, I want to make my pèosition clear.
Charlie is a good producer but not the best.
The sound BG and Charlie created is not the best for BG.
Sometimes every man in the World needs a new fresh input to look at things with a different persepective and be able to move forward.

Also, wall of sound doesn't mean powerful sound.
In my opinion when you barely can hear the bass guitar and the rhythm guitar is mostly a mess in the background, the sound is not good even if it sounds big.

With this kind of sound Marcus' work is literally butchered to pieces.
He could literally just play open chords and the result would be the same.

To say the last thing...making good music doesn't equate in knowing how to make it sound.
The reworked version of ANATO is imho a turd, BG themselves butchered it removing stuff here and there, raising and lowering volumes of instruments almost pointlessly or just for the sake of it.
Let's not talk about ATTWS new version on the best of which is an abortion.

Again, I love BG, you all love your mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, but you have to be honest when they screw up things.
I agree with the reworked version of ANATO, it did not exactly remove the problems I had with the original (and I have many) and only stripped away elements which seemed odd at places. As for ATTWS however, I prefer the rerecording at quite some points. The vocals sound more focused, natural and emotional to me and the music just breathes more, ANATO has this overdone plastic choir/orchestra sound with 100 Hansis ready to belt at all times. It is exactly what I would call a wall of sound. Sometimes I feel if it was the other way around a lot of people would call the old one the abortion. There are some points were I still prefer the original though (lalalala and the drums mainly). And I still wish they will add a real orchestral track to the rerecorded version for one of the best things in music ever.

But yeah, I agree BG albums are not the best they could sound often. Some even far from it (ANATO and ATITM). As for your critique on the sound of Marcus in the single. It is imo a bit hyperbole to state you cannot appreciate what he plays anymore here. I agree his sound is less sharp and organic than on the classic records, however. I can hear him a lot better than on ANATO (especially this one) and most of ATITM though. I do expect him to be less present in the orchestral songs (like some reviewers said), but I have to hear for myself if that was the right choice for the pieces.
Rokubota wrote:The first Demons and Wizards record had a good production IMO. A lot of atmosphere and a great guitar sound.

Demons and Wizards sounds better than any album of BG to me.

Light of Eärendil

#1068 Post by Light of Eärendil » 15 Jan 2015 15:18

I don't have anything against A Night At The Opera audio quality, I don't know why many people don't like it... it's the most awesome, melodic, bombastic, massive and epic Blind Guardian album and it's my 2nd favourite only to Nightfall in Middle Earth... I have noticed that the vinyl sounds much better than the CD... you can listen to it in this video I did recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Akbq2sUwac

Dragonfly

#1069 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 17:44

From what I've read so far it seems that 'Miracle Machine' is a fairly dark piano ballad contributing to the dystopian atmosphere of the entire album. Sounds like something akin to the desperate 'The Eldar'. Hopefully Hansi's performance is just as impressive :).

crzgfx

#1070 Post by crzgfx » 15 Jan 2015 19:51

Considering production, there are definitely producers that would fit Blind Guardian better - Seeb of Orden Ogan, for example. They have a very dense and modern sound (the low-end guitars actually sound as heavy as they SHOULD in TWOtG while not stealing away any from the great mids and highs) that is also very detailed. Perfect for modern Power Metal, if you ask me. I wonder why Charlie does not do the best thing for BG, as he managed to do his job perfectly on the Sieges Even albums he produced - and this band, as it is a prog band, relies on complex patterns with every instrument playing a distinct melody line / rhythm.

thanandar

#1071 Post by thanandar » 15 Jan 2015 20:54

I want the next fucking trailer noooooow!!!!!!!

Traveller in Time

#1072 Post by Traveller in Time » 15 Jan 2015 21:32

Dragonfly wrote:You know what, I just read that article and I think it's really great and interesting but now I feel like a sad, sad little human-like creature severely disappointed by the quality of music today. It wasn't that much of a surprise, really, but still kinda managed to bring home all those horrors of compression and the fucking loudness war :cry: :( :evil:.
Yeah i just listened to 'I'm alive'
1995 original release and ATGTSAT Version......
those drums really sounded great in the old mix :shock:

Dragonfly

#1073 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 21:48

Traveller in Time wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:You know what, I just read that article and I think it's really great and interesting but now I feel like a sad, sad little human-like creature severely disappointed by the quality of music today. It wasn't that much of a surprise, really, but still kinda managed to bring home all those horrors of compression and the fucking loudness war :cry: :( :evil:.
Yeah i just listened to 'I'm alive'
1995 original release and ATGTSAT Version......
those drums really sounded great in the old mix :shock:
And what about the remastered version? I might consider that when I get my 'Imaginations' CD.

loren

#1074 Post by loren » 15 Jan 2015 22:04

The remixed/remastered version of IFTOS is actually pretty good. Very brutal and clear. It's the only one I listened to and actually enjoyed (the other ones I listened to - count not the first 2 albums which I didn't bother to check the remastered- were not good. Remastered ANATO was interesting though).

One standout flaw for me, regarding the IFTOS remixed/remastered, is how fake the snare sounds at certain points such as snare rolls (like the ones that we hear on "I'm Alive" a little before the acoustic guitars at the beginning of the track). These rolls have no dynamics and velocity and actually sound like they are not individual hits but 1 or 2 different recorded hits that are looped for this particular pattern. Another flaw would be the slight lack of mids on the mastering.

But those 2 flaws do not undervalue the level of this remastered version, especially not to an intolerable level.
https://www.facebook.com/uncertaingreece
http://www.reverbnation.com/uncertain4
One of my bands. Death/progressive metal from Athens, Greece!

blindgfan

#1075 Post by blindgfan » 15 Jan 2015 22:07

thanandar wrote:I want the next fucking trailer noooooow!!!!!!!
I want some fucking samples on amazon!

Dragonfly

#1076 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 22:11

loren wrote:The remixed/remastered version of IFTOS is actually pretty good. Very brutal and clear. It's the only one I listened to and actually enjoyed (the other ones I listened to - count not the first 2 albums which I didn't bother to check the remastered- were not good. Remastered ANATO was interesting though).

One standout flaw for me, regarding the IFTOS remixed/remastered, is how fake the snare sounds at certain points such as snare rolls (like the ones that we hear on "I'm Alive" a little before the acoustic guitars at the beginning of the track). These rolls have no dynamics and velocity and actually sound like they are not individual hits but 1 or 2 different recorded hits that are looped for this particular pattern. Another flaw would be the slight lack of mids on the mastering.

But those 2 flaws do not undervalue the level of this remastered version, especially not to an intolerable level.
Thanks man! Sounds good :). By the way, I quite like the remastered version of 'Nightfall In Middle-Earth', too (with 'Harvest Of Sorrow' as bonus track).

loren

#1077 Post by loren » 15 Jan 2015 22:13

Dragonfly wrote: And what about the remastered version? I might consider that when I get my 'Imaginations' CD.
The latest remixed/remastered versions that are on ATGTSAT cannot be found and sold separately, at least that's what I know. So you cannot choose to buy only IFTOS.
If you have found a remastered version of IFTOS in a record shop (at your town or online) beware. Big chances are that it is the 2007 remastered cd which had no real differences compared to the original and has nothing to do with ATGTSAT which was released in 2011/2012 (I don't remember exactly).

Dragonfly

#1078 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 22:22

loren wrote:
Dragonfly wrote: And what about the remastered version? I might consider that when I get my 'Imaginations' CD.
The latest remixed/remastered versions that are on ATGTSAT cannot be found and sold separately, at least that's what I know. So you cannot choose to buy only IFTOS.
If you have found a remastered version of IFTOS in a record shop (at your town or online) beware. Big chances are that it is the 2007 remastered cd which had no real differences compared to the original and has nothing to do with ATGTSAT which was released in 2011/2012 (I don't remember exactly).
Wasn't that the 2009 version with bonuses? Is it really that bad?

loren

#1079 Post by loren » 15 Jan 2015 22:59

Dragonfly wrote:
loren wrote:
I now googled it and you're right, there were also some remasters that came out in 2009. I have no clue about them. The 2007 ones I told about, I listened to some of them (songs from albums IFTOS and TFTTW) and found no audible difference compared to the old ones, which, in my opinion, is not bad sounding. I just found the word "remastered", as well as the actual release of those remasters, pointless, as they didn't sound like there was anything changed compared to the originals.
Correction to a fact I wrote beforehand: The ATGTSAT was released in 2013 and not in 2011/2012.

I just wrote "beware", on my previous post, because I dind't want you to confuse the ATGTSAT remasters with the 2007 ones.

Dragonfly

#1080 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 23:03

Thank you! I have the 2009 remaster of 'Nightfall' and I'm quite satisfied with it, you know, it never hurts to have 'Harvest Of Sorrow' at the end of your 'Nightfall' album :wink:.

ErHaO

#1081 Post by ErHaO » 15 Jan 2015 23:06

Dragonfly wrote:
loren wrote:
The 2007 remasters are basically the old mixes with worse mastering (louder) and some bonustracks. It is not terrible, but if you want to go for the seperate release, I'd recommend searching for the original disc on ebay or the likes. It should not be expensive to get a copy, it is just a bit less convenient to get it.

I like the Travellers remix of Imaginations, as it puts emphasis on some other elements of the songs (Andre's lead in the chorus of the title track, for example) and still captures the agressive vibe of the album very well whilst sounding different. But I would not call it better (and it is a bit louder if I recall correctly). The whole box is limited and very expensive though and the record is not released seperately (as of yet). If you consider the box, I would first try to find out if you like it online.

Edit: 2009 remasters? Did not know about those either :P
Last edited by ErHaO on 15 Jan 2015 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

loren

#1082 Post by loren » 15 Jan 2015 23:07

Dragonfly wrote:Thank you! I have the 2009 remaster of 'Nightfall' and I'm quite satisfied with it, you know, it never hurts to have 'Harvest Of Sorrow' at the end of your 'Nightfall' album :wink:.
I hope it's even better than the original NIME (1998) which had some problems on mixing.
The ATGTSAT version of NIME (2013) fixed some of the original's problems, but,overal, I didn't like it.

Dragonfly

#1083 Post by Dragonfly » 15 Jan 2015 23:18

ErHaO, thanks! I don't think I'll buy 'Traveler's Guide To Space And Time' because I like hunting for records separately, and, as you mentioned, it's really pricey (though handy and beautiful judging by what I've seen).
Hmmm, I bought my 2009 remaster in 2012 I think via Amazon. Really nice edition with a bonus track and some liner notes detailing why Hansi still considers 'Nightfall In Moddle-Earth' their best album.

ErHaO

#1084 Post by ErHaO » 16 Jan 2015 09:55

Soooo, new samples/trailer today? C'mon BG, I need it this time :P

Traveller in Time

#1085 Post by Traveller in Time » 16 Jan 2015 10:40

as far as i know are those 2009 remastered ones just a new press of the remasters series (after being out of stock).
As the old mixes aren't produced on CD anymore, you just get the new remastered, or sometimes you are lucky and find some old CDs that is sometimes possible.
I do have only the 2007 remasters series, so i can't say anything if they are different to the 2009, but i hardly doubt it, as i wrote above i think it's just a following production (no changes).

@Dragonfly: i would try to get the old version, or if not possible the remasters, but the IFTOS ATGTSAT Version is in my eyes/ears too smooth and the instruments don't stand out that anymore. Like it is said it's just one pie. I don't want to complain about ATGTSAT, i like even some albums there, but if you ask me IFTOS spirit is killed there (especially the drums).

Btw BOF and FTB i like better as remastered

loren

#1086 Post by loren » 16 Jan 2015 11:38

I was lucky enough to have bought almost all BG records for 6,90 euros! Some years ago we had a chain-record store in my town, that sold a lot of older cd's for 6,90!
What's more, fortunately, I have only the originals! Except maybe for SFB, which has The bard's song-In the Forest and The Hobbit as one track and not 2 separate. But as date of publishing (at the back of the cd-case) it has 1992 so maybe it's a japanese version or something like that.

Andreas

#1087 Post by Andreas » 16 Jan 2015 12:08

Trailer no. 5 is online. That part of an orchestral song just before the end... luvvit.

loren

#1088 Post by loren » 16 Jan 2015 12:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49uw12 ... e=youtu.be

New trailer is up. The Grand Parade part at the end of the video (this time with vocals) sounds very good! I wonder how come the recorded parts we've heard so far, differ so much in comparison with Twilight of the Gods, sound-wise.

The fact that the song is Grand Parade is just an assumption :p

Gandalf de Grijze

#1089 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 16 Jan 2015 12:36

HELL YEAH!!!! SUPER LOVE THE ORCHESTRAL STUFF!!!!

ErHaO

#1090 Post by ErHaO » 16 Jan 2015 13:28

Hell yeah! That part near the end sounds absolutely massive and epic!

Darth Arrow

#1091 Post by Darth Arrow » 16 Jan 2015 14:04

Wizard's Crown wrote:
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:
He doesn't exactly say that it is a drawback...more of a point of consideration..but I have to say that by complex maybe it means that there are too much elements in one song and I believe that it is a common say that too much isn't always right

Edit: also for your previous comment by this "selfish try" he means that the band trying to give an excellent product they exaggerate things (I remind you the 3 choirs which is probably around 250 people singing)..but those are just my assumptions as I have not heard the album
Heh, I have to agree that one of the main points why BG is such a great band is exactly that even after ten years listening to an album, you can still find all kinds of new things in them, which you've never paid attention to before :P I do understand if the reviewer meant that there are too many elements in a song, but otherwise, the complexicity is definitely a plus.

Regarding ATGTSAT, I think it's wonderful that the band actually scrapes together time to produce new mixes of old albums, especialy when the box is definitely aimed at fans who already are familiar with the original albums. Because the box is/was strictly limited to 8 000 copies, it's clear to me that the new mixes are not meant to replace the originals at all, but to offer a different approach to fans who already know the songs through-and-through. As such, I consider the discussion of the originals vs ATGTSAT versions irrelevant, as to me it's clear that new mixes are not meant to replace the originals. The band has my utmost respect that they want to offer something new to the fans, instead of just letting Virgin publish an expensive "collectors box" with no changes whatsoever, in an attempt to just rip off the fans who'd by it regardless. Also I'm sure that the band knew when they started remixing, that some people will consider touching the legendary albums pretty much blasphemy, heresy, terrorism & sacriledge and would warrant a death penalty. They went through with it regardless and in my opinion we now have an interesting alternative to the originals. So there's really no need for butthurt, if you don't like them, the originals aren't going anywhere.

I don't see the original and new mixes as better or worse, but different. I keep enjoying both.

The new trailer sounds intresting, but the orchestral songs are exactly the ones we'll need to hear in their full grandeur before drawing conclusions, these clips are just sneakpeeks.

Feanor l'invincible

#1092 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 16 Jan 2015 19:55

THAT'S WHEN THE ANCIENT GODS RETUUUUUUUUURN!
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Dragonfly

#1093 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Jan 2015 21:04

I'm here to officially confirm your guesses - that mighty orchestral part at the end of trailers 2-5 really belongs to 'Grand Parade'. Rest assured :wink:. Moreover, I believe the whole new trailer only showcases one song...
Oh, and that part from 2:27 to 2:55 just HAS to be the chorus.

Dragonfly

#1094 Post by Dragonfly » 16 Jan 2015 21:11

Feanor l'invincible wrote:THAT'S WHEN THE ANCIENT GODS RETUUUUUUUUURN!
That song is fucking gorgeous. I wish they released a purely instrumental version as well, like 'Wheel Of Time', just to emphasize the godly orchestral parts.

Ryu

#1095 Post by Ryu » 16 Jan 2015 23:44

3:15

"The holy grail's on its way now"

So, likely our first glimpse at anything from The Holy Grail? Or perhaps another song referencing it.
Defiant of destiny

Feanor l'invincible

#1096 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 17 Jan 2015 00:05

Ryu wrote:3:15

So, likely our first glimpse at anything from The Holy Grail? Or perhaps another song referencing it.
Good catch, this is certainly the chorus! We can now guess how Hansi is going to sing on the choirs before the album's release!

I just read a french review that says some songs give a feeling of "unfinished writing" and that Blind Guardian could do better... Now I want this to be wrong.

Edain

#1097 Post by Edain » 17 Jan 2015 00:29

Link to the review? Or is it in a mag?
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Feanor l'invincible

#1098 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 17 Jan 2015 00:33

Edain wrote:Link to the review? Or is it in a mag?
http://www.lagrosseradio.com/metal/webz ... irror.html

ErHaO

#1099 Post by ErHaO » 17 Jan 2015 00:59

I think a lot of parts of the fourth trailer were Holy grail as well (as it fits the song description pretty good).

Edit: just a curiosity, are there any reviews mentioning the songs Distant Memories and Doom? Or do they all have the standard version? I would like to see a song description of those tracks.
Feanor l'invincible wrote:
Ryu wrote:3:15

Good catch, this is certainly the chorus! We can now guess how Hansi is going to sing on the choirs before the album's release!

I just read a french review that says some songs give a feeling of "unfinished writing" and that Blind Guardian could do better... Now I want this to be wrong.
Well, it is not like their previous three albums reviewed perfectly everywhere. BG songs are quite often growers and this album is seemingly more progressive than at the very least the previous two, which is also an aquired taste. I remember when I thought A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater was some random musical bits plastered after each other after the first listen of the so called masterpiece (which I now think it is).

Take this site for example (I like the site): http://www.angrymetalguy.com/blind-guar ... me-review/ He gave ATEOT a 2.5/5. Then, at the end of the year the same author put it in his top 10 because it grew on him quite a bit.

We'll have to hear it for ourselves, offcourse. They seem to pull of some pretty bold moves musically this time around. Hell, I might even think it totally sucks balls and the single was the best by far. But reading too much into reviewers is never worth it, as a band like BG has taken on many directions and thus many fans of different aspects (which you see on this small board clearly too). They will never make an album that everybody like anymore I think (Imaginations and Nightfall, namely).

Ryu

#1100 Post by Ryu » 17 Jan 2015 05:43

I wonder if I can piece together the lyrics of whatever the song is at the end (Grand Parade, The Ninth Wave, The Throne?)

From 3:55

..and don't look back
there's (??) (war in me??)
my hour shall come
THE OLD GODS ARE CALLING
return me (please?)

and straight ahead
a door appears
the tyrant discovered (?)/that time will discover
that's when the ancient gods return

holy shit the "straight ahead a door appears" part.

I simply cannot pin which song this is though. It doesn't sound like a Grand Parade really.. I'm going with The Ninth Wave.
Defiant of destiny