This forum needs a make-over

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
faery

#1 Post by faery » 24 Dec 2008 10:25

Why?

Who is the last new person that actually stuck here? (Chiri I suppose, but before that?) I can't remember anyone else not really new who posts here regularly.
And actually, that is weird and not how it should be, since Blind Guardian is a big band, it has many fans and those should be able to find their way to this forum. But they don't.

What I'm trying to say is: we are one group, one clique, and other people might not want to get in there, or don't see why they should try.

I think putting all the regional topics in a seperate subforum might increase the openness, the clarity, and something like an introduction sub-forum as well. At this moment I don't have other clear ideas, but they might come in time.

What is your opinion?

(and we need the new php software, but that was known already :wink:)

End Of An Era

#2 Post by End Of An Era » 24 Dec 2008 10:45

i thought exactly the same thing a little while ago. almost no new persons register and make themselves known!! Maybe we should accept spambots then? ;)

Putting all regional topics and meeting topics in a separate subforum might be an idea, but we really have to be careful not to overreact and just stick to this one extra forum.. i've seen what such a reaction can do: 25 fora and 50 threads... >.<

Joost

Re: This forum needs a make-over

#3 Post by Joost » 24 Dec 2008 12:19

faery wrote:I think putting all the regional topics in a seperate subforum might increase the openness, the clarity, and something like an introduction sub-forum as well. At this moment I don't have other clear ideas, but they might come in time.
We already did this three years ago or something, for exactly the same reason. The new section for the regional topics and such became the Slaughterhouse (before that the Slaughterhouse and the Coffee Shop together were one forum). (Back then, a lot of people already were against this split, btw.) So what do you really propose exactly: splitting the Slaughterhouse again, in a section for regional topics, and a section for just the spam/game topics? That sounds like overkill to me.

As for the lack of new people: the forum isn't exactly well-advertised on the www.blind-guardian.com main page, maybe that has something to do with it?

Also, we don't need new PHP software (the underlying PHP 5 is just what we need), we at most need a new version of phpBB, but tell me, exactly why? Because of all kinds of fancy features that have not much specific use? How exactly is that going to increase the accessibility of the forum for newcomers?
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Joost

#4 Post by Joost » 24 Dec 2008 12:40

Knightrider of Doom wrote:who needs a forum? meet on server ROGLNOGLFHORTH in WoW (lol sarcasm) :lol:

Me as a total noob (yes I registered here years ago, but I've never been much on this forum, so I'm kinda new) I must say I have no idea what these Holland Herrscht and all those weird other language threads are about and it turns me off xD I don't care much, but for newbies those topics are probably a bit weird^^ so I agree with the first post
Point is: we already made a separate section for them.

And the proposal now is "Hey, let's make a separate section for them."...

edit: Just talked about this with Oro and he basically agreed with me, and made some additional good points

Orodaran says: (11:47:00)
even without the national topics, the slaughterhouse is so random that no noob would ever get a feel of what's going on there

Orodaran says: (11:47:40)
and I  think it's a general rule for all the forums - when you first join, you do so for the in-topic sections of it, then once you're accustomed you start to talk general banter with the other users :P
Last edited by Joost on 24 Dec 2008 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
-- Martin Walkyier

eolas

#5 Post by eolas » 24 Dec 2008 12:48

As a pretty newcomer I must say this forum has a great atmosphere, but for the ones who is inside of it. After a few months one can get into the atmosphere and get used to the jokes like "of corpse", "hersch" or the other ones but slightly few people would like to try it. But I dont know if we can change something to replace it, it's one of the charachteristic feautures of the forum.

Here's another one, the homesite is nearly dead and we cant blame BG for it of corpse; but it's hard to find the forum link in it and it's also boring to surf the homesite. Maybe with efforts of the forum members they can renew it or put some articles (tales, poems, drawings and the other stuffs; but it would be hard because mother language of the most members is not English) to pull other BG fans.

Last but not least, we have too small amounts of subforums and most of them is full of personal "what are you listening at the moment" or "can you suggest a band to me" topics. First 6 subforums are about music or BG and they're far too empty, the Fantasy topic is not enough for all the other topics and except Coffee Shop there's no subforum for all the other people. It's the biggest problem as far as I can see.

I beg your pardon for my English once again:)
You're not dreaming but in a dream...

We're only at home when we're on the run!

The Rider Of Rohan

#6 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Dec 2008 12:51

Splitting up the slaughterhouse is a good idea. I also second the notion that the forum should be better advertised on the mainpage. A big button would do the trick. Thereś a benefit in this for the band too, as it creates loyalty towards the band.

Oh, and I'd like avatars. The forum looks so 1998 without them.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Joost

#7 Post by Joost » 24 Dec 2008 12:53

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Oh, and I'd like avatars. The forum looks so 1998 without them.
"You should impress other people with words, not with pretty pictures." -Jason/webmaster

edit: maybe we need some new moderators? Neither Andrea nor Drew seems very active on the forum as of late, and as for myself, I really never have been that active with regular moderation duties myself.
-- Martin Walkyier

faery

#8 Post by faery » 24 Dec 2008 14:17

but what do the moderators actually do here than? ;)

Advertising might very well do it yes. And I still propose a spot where you can introduce yourself. Maybe one sticky-topic in the coffee-shop? And maybe make the division between the slaughterhouse and coffeeshop more clear, because that is not always the case, I think.

Joost

#9 Post by Joost » 24 Dec 2008 14:32

faery wrote:but what do the moderators actually do here than? ;)
Well, it seems there's right now actually a problem with the registration function, and newely registering people don't receive their registration mails. (Most people who registered in the last couple of months actually never logged in at all, indicating there's probably some sort of problem along these lines.) Now, this is a problem I cannot fix: I have to ask Jason (the webmaster) to do so, and he's lazy as hell, so it can take a while. As soon as the registration problem is fixed, this will probably mean the instant return of another problem, namely spambots.

Right at the moment, most of the forum is pretty much unmoderated.

That will at least give one thing for moderators to do. :P
And I still propose a spot where you can introduce yourself. Maybe one sticky-topic in the coffee-shop?
Very good idea. I'll probably open such a topic tomorrow, as I gotta leave right in a few minutes now. It would be nice though if the existing regulars also posted something in that topic. Also, maybe I have to talk to Annie about the picture site, and how to connect it to the forum as it is now a bit more actively.
And maybe make the division between the slaughterhouse and coffeeshop more clear, because that is not always the case, I think.
I agree about this, but eventually it will always depend on the users, not on the maintenance team. I sometimes try to move topics that are posted in the wrong section into the right section, but to little avail...

Other than this, I just did a few things on the forum:

- Did some pruning in the Coffee Shop (topics older than 1-1-2008) and the Slaughterhouse (topics older than 1-7-2008)
- Deleted inactive users and spambots
- Resynced the post counts

Anyway, I have to go now, and I'll be back later to continue discussion about the future of the forum. I kind of agree that some things have to change, but splitting the Slaughterhouse is not an idea that seems to make a lot of sense to me.
-- Martin Walkyier

Gandalf de Grijze

#10 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Dec 2008 17:11

Just my two spamming cents:
- I don't see the need to again split the slaughterhouse into more seperate parts, the language topics should be the only places to speak with people in your own homelanguage (unless it is english).
- The forum does need some good advertisement from the website (and the website in general might need some more attention to updates and such.)
- I like the idea of fan/user contributions somewhere.
- About the group/clique thing, I guess every forum has that in one way or another. And eventhough we are quite open to newcomers, there are inside jokes they won't immediately understand and there is the fact that many of us have met eachother in some larger or smaller degree.
- Eolas said that there is a too small amount of subforums, but a while ago (same time as the splitting of coffeeshop into coffeeshop and slaughterhouse) the amount of subforums was diminished because there were too many subforums with less than 100 topics and little more posts. you could split teh coffeshop in several subdivisions like politics and games and such, but I fear you'd get the same effect, and/or create smaller cliques with a more closed atmosphere. I am already noticing in the "metal" section that some people who only post there are becoming more closeminded to "new" people posting there.
- About new/extra moderators, I guess that is an idea. I would even volunteer for that, as I generally read through all subforums. Eventhough I like the loose way this forum is moderated in, I think that mainly in the more "on-topic" sections (BG, Tours, Metal) a bit more moderating may be required. Although I am no big fan of strictly closing any topic about a topic that already exists, sometimes there are 5 topics all on the first page about the same thing, and that is a tad overkill to me..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

teo_guardian

#11 Post by teo_guardian » 24 Dec 2008 17:50

we live in 2009...internet is so powerful...i think Blind Guardian can't realize that...they should be active in everything they can online...myspace page,youtube page(almost all bands have youtube page...so many videos to show) and other similar stuff...and most of all their official site..wich is abandoned..of course i don't blame the band itself when i say blind guardian..but the people who must advertise them...
i mean who can change things on their official site?where is he?can't anybody from this forum contact him?i think that if he speak with a member from here and listens to all we have to say something will change...

And all these have to do with the main problem of the few people in this forum...because if the forum was well-advertised not only in their official site
but also on myspace,youtube and all others then i thing that this forum would be filled by BG fans...

sorry for my bad english also..

Orodaran

#12 Post by Orodaran » 24 Dec 2008 18:29

Joost wrote:edit: maybe we need some new moderators? Neither Andrea nor Drew seems very active on the forum as of late, and as for myself, I really never have been that active with regular moderation duties myself.
Well, I consider myself still an active user and moderator... but as weird as it may sound I have other things to do than posting in the DSE thread whenever there's the chance, and with all the spambots now gone, I don't even need to lock and kill the spambots threads :P (not to make it look like I'm a forum saviour 'cause Joost and Curufin did many other more meaningful things, thanks also to their admin powers, but there are so many spambots thread killed with 0 replies and 1 view because I were spotting and deleting them immediately....)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#13 Post by Metal Fan » 24 Dec 2008 18:44

edit: maybe we need some new moderators?
i say Arwen

edit: I believe Hansi has a different user name he posts with, tho we don't know what it is
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

West Virginia Mule

#14 Post by West Virginia Mule » 24 Dec 2008 21:21

Agreed. It should ditch the tired Blind Guardian theme and go with something new. Pepsi, maybe.
KILROY WAS HERE

Skyclad

#15 Post by Skyclad » 24 Dec 2008 22:13

I've always thought there are so few people posting here, even 5 years ago, that there doesn't need to really be separate forums for everything. So few posts are made even if you combined all of the forums into one, you'd be lucky to get one page of new posts a day.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

West Virginia Mule

#16 Post by West Virginia Mule » 24 Dec 2008 23:03

Nobody cares what you think, truebritton.
KILROY WAS HERE

eolas

#17 Post by eolas » 24 Dec 2008 23:24

But isn't it also the main source of the problem? These few people are enough for themselves but in my opinion those subforums or topics will be beneficial with long range goals in a site with more newcomers.

Btw maybe we can arrange Marcus to give some "frei Bier" or Andre to give some "tieing shoes in BG style" lessons :twisted:

West Virginia Mule

#18 Post by West Virginia Mule » 24 Dec 2008 23:39

Who wants newcomers? As long as Skyclad and PKH are here, that's all we need.
KILROY WAS HERE

Skyclad

#19 Post by Skyclad » 24 Dec 2008 23:46

eolas wrote:But isn't it also the main source of the problem? These few people are enough for themselves but in my opinion those subforums or topics will be beneficial with long range goals in a site with more newcomers.

Btw maybe we can arrange Marcus to give some "frei Bier" or Andre to give some "tieing shoes in BG style" lessons :twisted:
A REAL metal band doesn't care about how many fans they have. Hell, a REAL metal band wouldn't even have a website. Or if they did have a website, it wouldn't have been updated since October, 2004.

Gandalf de Grijze

#20 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Dec 2008 01:20

read the FAQ? there is insider stuff in there.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

eolas

#21 Post by eolas » 25 Dec 2008 11:18

Skyclad wrote:
eolas wrote:But isn't it also the main source of the problem? These few people are enough for themselves but in my opinion those subforums or topics will be beneficial with long range goals in a site with more newcomers.

A REAL metal band doesn't care about how many fans they have. Hell, a REAL metal band wouldn't even have a website. Or if they did have a website, it wouldn't have been updated since October, 2004.
I'm %100 agree with your idea that the popularity is just a bullshit for a real metal band but this forumsite is being operated by "other" people. And if there's a website, there must be some link to this forum to drag newcomers and also navigate "real metal fans." They may not be caring the number of their fans of corpse, but at least they (or the admins or somebody) must care their main and "real" fans and the communucation between them. Newcomer doesnt mean the people "just started to listen to BG".

End Of An Era

#22 Post by End Of An Era » 25 Dec 2008 12:22

hmm why exclude other people than BG listeners? i know for a fact there used to be loads of ppl just coming here for the fun, not the band ;)

eolas

#23 Post by eolas » 25 Dec 2008 13:23

You're right I guess:)

Sleeping Dragon

#24 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 25 Dec 2008 17:49

i think we'll settle for Joost dyeing his hair black and growing a moustache...
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

faery

#25 Post by faery » 25 Dec 2008 20:18

Yeah, a faq with the inside jokes is a very good idea :D

And about the new mods thing: if you are going to do that, please let it be known and let people apply or something. I always get very annoyed when stuff like that happens outside of the open view...

Orodaran

#26 Post by Orodaran » 25 Dec 2008 20:27

faery wrote:Yeah, a faq with the inside jokes is a very good idea :D
What's the fun of inside jokes if they are explained to the entire world? By no means I want this forum to be a closed, secret society, but what's the point of writing everywhere for all to see "Heersch means to rock", "Oro always says he does not spam", "Speal english was born because Ferdi made a typo" and so on??
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Sleeping Dragon

#27 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 25 Dec 2008 23:28

"baalrog wings", "creeping *beeps*"...

Curufin

#28 Post by Curufin » 26 Dec 2008 01:11

I do agree that things should be done to get both this forum and the website more exposure. The site is especially lacking when compared even to bands with much lower overall popularity. I'm not sure how much can really be done about the site, though, since it was designed and maintained by friends of the band who volunteer their time (Jason, Pedro, Dennis et al) and not the record label.

The forum, however, could use some doable improvements. The FAQ section should be redone, since we lost the bulk of it sometime last year when it was accidentally auto-pruned for being too old. A lot of good info was lost, and I never got around to redoing. Perhaps we can redo the FAQ section and also double that forum as a place for Newbie Introductions.

I think the amount of forums we have is fine for now. Perhaps if the forum becomes more active we can address that issue, but for now I don't think we have enough activity here to merit making any more forums (especially since we condensed a bunch of the forums earlier this year).

As far as new mods go, I have no problem doing nominations/voting for mods for different sections of the forum. I'm not really sure that there's a whole lot of modding to do, but if others feel that it's needed then we should consider it. I would really like to keep the forum as open and "unmodded" as possible to keep with our history of being a very open forum.

I visit here maybe once a day (if not once every other day), but I don't post a whole lot anymore since life has become frantically busy for me since I moved to LA. This forum is still my favorite forum to be on, since there is such a wonderful diversity of people and it can be way more fun than an Internet forum should be. :P

Maybe we should email Jason and ask him if it's possible to put a direct link to the forum on the BG site's navigation menu? Or maybe change the "Duscussion" (which is hilariously misspelled) to "Community"? I dunno, but considering how big BG is we really should be getting a lot more people on this forum than we do. I guess fixing the registration problems might fix that too...
Official Blind Guardian Forum Tarot Pimp.

Visit http://www.curufin.com/bg for all of your Blind Guardian needs!

Bubbles everywhere, raise your hands into the air, we're bubblers, bubblers of the world!

Periaatteessa se tarkoittaa periaatteessa

Twister

#29 Post by Twister » 26 Dec 2008 01:52

I had a whole well-thought post to put here, since I'm registered here since quite a while but never really posted actively and I've my thoughts about this matter. But accidentally I deleted it, and since I'm tired to death, I'll write that again tomorrow.
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

Joost

#30 Post by Joost » 26 Dec 2008 02:10

After thinking about things a bit more, it seems probably quite a good idea to switch to phpBB 3 as soon as possible: the main problems on this forum, at the moment, are stability problems, and they might be fixed with a change to phpBB 3. I first have to look a bit deeper into e.g. how well the anti-spambot mechanisms work in phpBB 3; after that I guess I'll ask Jason to update the forum.

Other than this, indeed, it might be a good idea to ask for a clearer and more direct link to the forum from the main page of the website.

Other than this, splitting forums does not seem that necessary at all, really, and extra moderators may be a good idea but perhaps also can wait. The thing with extra mods etc. is that there probably also should be stuff like forum policies and rules (which we hardly have, at the moment: most of the time Drew, Andrea just tend to do whatever seems sensible to do, and there never have been any problems so far in reaching agreement on issues between the three of us).
-- Martin Walkyier

West Virginia Mule

#31 Post by West Virginia Mule » 26 Dec 2008 09:29

It is my opinion that Joost unfairly singles out things I write and deletes them. Or sometimes, he alters the content to make it seem as if I’m saying something different from what I’m saying. He's a devious little bastard and I demand justice!

It is also my opinion that there should be a sub forum called The Mule's Hall of Fame, wherein we will save—per chance to cherish—all the nuggets of wisdom and flourishes of literary brilliance I have contributed to this forum since 2001. A shrine to me, in other words, where my words will attain a kind of immortality...until such time as I choose to delete them.

And that’s not all. I have many more ideas—some might even say I have myriad ideas—to improve the Blind Guardian forum. Just ask.
KILROY WAS HERE

Sleeping Dragon

#32 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 26 Dec 2008 10:03

Better|Off|Dead wrote: It is also my opinion that there should be a sub forum called The Mule's Hall of Fame, wherein we will save—per chance to cherish—all the nuggets of wisdom and flourishes of literary brilliance I have contributed to this forum since 2001.
I approve this message.

Orodaran

#33 Post by Orodaran » 26 Dec 2008 11:21

Curufin wrote:As far as new mods go, I have no problem doing nominations/voting for mods for different sections of the forum. I'm not really sure that there's a whole lot of modding to do, but if others feel that it's needed then we should consider it. I would really like to keep the forum as open and "unmodded" as possible to keep with our history of being a very open forum.
The only thing I lately felt the need to do, at times, was the merging of topics with similar content.... but that's not one of the avalaible options so I couldn't do it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Beren Ercharmion

#34 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 27 Dec 2008 12:29

The "problem" about this forum is that most of the regulars know each other since a very long time, met in person on various occasions (festivals/concerts/meetings/whatever), an many people have become friends outside the forum & the internet as well. I've never seen a forum with such a great community so far. But that's a problem for newbies on the other hand, since it's quite hard to get into such a group of long time "friends", and allthough I think new users are welcome to most of us the problem is that so few even try to get in touch with the community.

I don't see why more subforums will bring more activity in here, there weren't much more post earlier this year when we still had a couple of additional sections (like tours and diskographie in the Blind Guardian-Section, or the Tolkien subforum). Most of them were quite deserted all the time anyway.

Splitting the slaughterhouse in two seems strange idea to me as well, we had a split a while ago, creating the slaughterhouse and the coffee shop for serious discussions on the one hand and spam/game/national-topics on the other. And - at least for me - this worked out pretty well. And there is no need to create another subforum for the national topics in my eyes, since that's what the slaughterhouse is there for. As someone pointed out earlier in this topic: The national topics are the only places to talk in your own language, and we got like 9 or 10 of them, if I'm not mistaken. Why should we create another section for those few topics? If you create a whole section to post in different languages you'll most propably loose much of the forums international character, since many people post in their national topics only even now, and if you can open topics about any subject in your own language you may have more users, but there will be more groups who don't really interact with each other. At least that's what I experienced on other forums.

Concerning new mods: I don't know if that's really necessary, we got along quite well without much rules and mods so far, there are barely any topics to close/users to ban and such stuff, so I think our current team can handle that as they did 'till now.
If there will be more activity some time it might be necessary, but now? I don't think so.

A topic for new user to introduce themself would be a nice idea! But I don't think we need a topic to explain all the insider-jokes.
As Andrea said: What's the fun of inside jokes if everybody knows them
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

End Of An Era

#35 Post by End Of An Era » 27 Dec 2008 13:21

bwah. insiderjokes are for listeners of black metal...

No‘am

#36 Post by No‘am » 27 Dec 2008 13:45

well I don't really listen much to black metal but I still get them
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

Orodaran

#37 Post by Orodaran » 27 Dec 2008 14:15

Also, another thing about new people coming: this is a downtime period for Blind Guardian, the latest album was released in 2006, the world tour is by now over, it's no surprise that not many new people are finding out about them. Sure, everyday there's a little metalhead here or there that discovers BG in a way or the other, but it's no surprise to me that in a moment when no album is out and no tour is being made there's not a flooding invasion of newcomers....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Metal Fan

#38 Post by Metal Fan » 27 Dec 2008 19:45

Orodaran wrote:Also, another thing about new people coming: this is a downtime period for Blind Guardian, the latest album was released in 2006, the world tour is by now over, it's no surprise that not many new people are finding out about them. Sure, everyday there's a little metalhead here or there that discovers BG in a way or the other, but it's no surprise to me that in a moment when no album is out and no tour is being made there's not a flooding invasion of newcomers....
Hey I heard about them on Y! Music, 12th December '07 and i just found out a few months ago that they where on tour -_- (and German metal bands on Yahoo?!!?!)
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Led Guardian

#39 Post by Led Guardian » 01 Jan 2009 01:32

We could always create a group on Facebook, though I'm not sure if that would attract new people or just provide another place for the current members to interact. It is a possibility though.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Sleeping Dragon

#40 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 01 Jan 2009 10:32

if you open a facebook group you will never ever see me here again. just a consideration...

Skyclad

#41 Post by Skyclad » 01 Jan 2009 16:48

Facebook is for people who think they're too cool for MySpace. And that makes me laugh and sad at the same time.

Metal Fan

#42 Post by Metal Fan » 01 Jan 2009 18:18

Or they just cant go on>.<

Orodaran

#43 Post by Orodaran » 01 Jan 2009 18:28

Skyclad wrote:Facebook is for people who think they're too cool for MySpace. And that makes me laugh and sad at the same time.
It's not a matter of being cool or not, it's a matter of MySpace allowing to take out the very worst out of people with no knowledge at all about HTML or websites, generating un-openable monsters with horrible backgrounds, stupid songs playing at full volume long before the page even loads, and other eyes-killing atrocities.

http://xkcd.com/134/

At least Facebook does not have sounds and the page is plain text.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Led Guardian

#44 Post by Led Guardian » 02 Jan 2009 06:02

*shrugs*
It was just an idea. But I don't think we really need to get new people, we just need the inactive members to join in. Maybe we could offer them cookies to post.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

West Virginia Mule

#45 Post by West Virginia Mule » 02 Jan 2009 11:22

Worthy members here should form a splinter forum where they only speak in elite tones about elite subjects. That's sure to be a hit. Oh, wait...

In other news, Blind Guardian is an obscure name playing music that's not very popular. They might seem huge to you in your idiot circles, but in the real world they have less weight than a gnat. And I don't mean a fat gnat, either. A regular edition, standard sized gnat.

I have no interest in writing anything about the band Blind Guardian. Shucks, I barely listen to them at all anymore. As far as I'm concerned, this whole forum exists in the Coffee Shop, with only the rarest of peeks elsewhere. Have you ever noticed there's a whole community of names in other sections that never come into the Coffee Shop? It's like living in an apartment building where you know other people live around you, but you never see them. Well, not really so much like that, but..uhm...it's in the..you know...ballpark and stuff. Whatever.

So, to sum up, I hate you all, but in only the vaguest, most meaningless way. I can't go anywhere else 'cause no one understands my psychosis like you. Hugs and kisses, children.

Gawd, I write the weirdest things these days.
KILROY WAS HERE

Sleeping Dragon

#46 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 02 Jan 2009 13:42

Better|Off|Dead wrote: Gawd, I write the weirdest things these days.
actually, that was the sanest thing you wrote in ages... i'm beginning to worry about you.

I.c.e Motion

#47 Post by I.c.e Motion » 05 Jan 2009 14:05

About the no avatars thing.. impressing people with words rather than pretty pictures.. webmaster or no... it's 2009 for crying out loud.. not 2002 (when this forum started...)

No matter what.. it is a factor in new people not sticking here.. the forum looks 'boring' with it's standard template and the only custom picture being the logo at the top.

So you'd have to get into the in-crowd to see the fun of it. And the in-crowd here consists of people as has been pointed out, people that have met on several occasions (wacken, bgoa, other festivals) which is a far stronger bond then most forum-communities have.

Then there's the thing that Blind Guardian hasnt done anything noteworthy for over a year (the Sacred thing is like so not noteworthy).. no new material, no shows.. yeah okay. Hansi did some things on Ayreon.. but what the rest's up to? No one knows. Not even a hint of them working on a new album or anything. Ergo.. no news.. no people coming to check the website.. no people finding out about the forum either.

So does the forum need a make-over? Hardly.. well except for some needed updates to a better version of phpbb 3 and the enabling of avatars, but splitting of coffeeshops and slaughterhouses and all that kind of nonsense isnt needed at all.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl

Joost

#48 Post by Joost » 05 Jan 2009 14:46

I.c.e Motion wrote:About the no avatars thing.. impressing people with words rather than pretty pictures.. webmaster or no... it's 2009 for crying out loud.. not 2002 (when this forum started...)

No matter what.. it is a factor in new people not sticking here.. the forum looks 'boring' with it's standard template and the only custom picture being the logo at the top.

So you'd have to get into the in-crowd to see the fun of it. And the in-crowd here consists of people as has been pointed out, people that have met on several occasions (wacken, bgoa, other festivals) which is a far stronger bond then most forum-communities have.

Then there's the thing that Blind Guardian hasnt done anything noteworthy for over a year (the Sacred thing is like so not noteworthy).. no new material, no shows.. yeah okay. Hansi did some things on Ayreon.. but what the rest's up to? No one knows. Not even a hint of them working on a new album or anything. Ergo.. no news.. no people coming to check the website.. no people finding out about the forum either.

So does the forum need a make-over? Hardly.. well except for some needed updates to a better version of phpbb 3 and the enabling of avatars, but splitting of coffeeshops and slaughterhouses and all that kind of nonsense isnt needed at all.
Good points here. I have absolutely no problems with changing to phpBB3 or enabling avatars, but just keep in mind that Jason (who has the final say in these matters) is conservative as fuck and lazy on top of it in matters like this, in other words, he doesn't really like making changes to the forum.

One question about phpBB3 though: I am now running a very small and unnoteworthy forum on phpBB3 (the #b-g channel noticeboard), and so far, I have not encountered any spambots there. Is phpBB3 still spambot-safe in general, or do phpBB3-forums, just like the old ones, encounter a lot of spambots?

So... what I guess I might/will propose to Jason is the following:

- Switching to phpBB3, and enabling all basic features of phpBB3 forums (including avatars). I see no reason to add lots of fancy add-ons to the forum though outside the basic feature set.

- Keeping the forum structure in general as it is now. In other words, no new splitting or merging of sections.

- Plead for better advertisement of the forum on the main Blind Guardian webpage.

- Keeping the current moderator/admin team for now, and only adding new moderators if it becomes clear that there is real need for it (either by people asking for them, or by the forum becoming too much work for the current team). The 'moderating policy' will also stay as it is, i.e. no needless overmoderating, basically just letting the forum go the way it goes, unless there is a clear need for moderator action.

- Some clarity about which sections of the forum are pruned, and when, and when topics are closed. Right now I am using the following policy: topics in the coffee shop older than a year are pruned away, and in the Slaughterhouse topics older than 6 months are pruned away; in other sections, no prunings take place at all. Topics are closed -- without exception -- once they reach 100 pages.

Everybody happy with this? :P
-- Martin Walkyier

Beren Ercharmion

#49 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 05 Jan 2009 14:53

I'm perfectly happy with this, Joost
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

ThePKH

#50 Post by ThePKH » 05 Jan 2009 14:53

I'm happy with it. :)
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!