Replicant or human?

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.

Was Deckard a replicant or human?

Human
52%
Human
48%

Total votes: 23

Joost

Replicant or human?

#1 Post by Joost » 14 Apr 2009 21:23

This question, of course, is about Deckard in the movie Blade Runner: is he a replicant himself, or just a human? And why?

Personally I'm quite inclined to say 'replicant': at least The Final Cut seems to suggest so, with the origami unicorn combining with the earlier dream sequence. At the same time, I guess I kind of like the ambiguity.

Scott Ridley also says he considers Deckard to be a replicant, but in Philip K. Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep that the movie was based on, Deckard was a human.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

Led Guardian

#2 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 21:42

So what's the point of the poll? In the movie, he was a replicant, and in the book, he was a human.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Joost

#3 Post by Joost » 14 Apr 2009 22:20

Led Guardian wrote:So what's the point of the poll? In the movie, he was a replicant, and in the book, he was a human.
He was a human in the book, yes. But in the movie? There seems to be a lot of disagreement there, Harrison Ford for example maintains that he played Deckard as a human, not as a replicant. I don't think a very simple matter-of-fact answer is even possible to this question.

Oh and... psst, and of course I also made the poll to be able to quote a Blind Guardian lyric. :P

From Wikipedia:
Relevant opinions from those involved in the production:

- Philip K. Dick wrote the character Deckard as a human.[14]
- Hampton Fancher (original screenwriter) has said that he wrote the character Deckard as a human, but wanted the film to suggest the possibility that he may be a replicant. When asked, "Is Deckard a replicant?", Fancher replied, "No. It wasn't like I had a tricky idea about Deckard that way." [15] During a discussion panel with Ridley Scott to discuss Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Fancher again stated that he believes Deckard is human (saying that "[Ridley Scott's] idea is too complex"), but also repeated that he prefers the film to remain ambiguous: "I like asking the question and I like it to be asked but I think it’s nonsense to answer it. That’s not interesting to me." [16]
- Ridley Scott stated in an interview in 2002 that he considers Deckard a replicant.[17][18]
- Harrison Ford considers Deckard to be human. "That was the main area of contention between Ridley and myself at the time," Ford told interviewer Jonathan Ross during a BBC1 Hollywood Greats segment. "I thought the audience deserved one human being on screen that they could establish an emotional relationship with. I thought I had won Ridley's agreement to that, but in fact I think he had a little reservation about that. I think he really wanted to have it both ways."[19] (However, in an interview in Wired magazine in 2007, Ridley again states that he believes Deckard is a replicant, and jokingly says that Harrison Ford may have given up the idea of Deckard being human.)[20]
Also, I have to say that Blade Runner is one of the few cases where I definitely would choose the movie over the book. Sure, there is a lot of stuff left out from the book (the electric animal business and the empathy boxes), but most of the interesting themes from the book (such as questions like 'how reliable can memories be?' and 'what does it really mean to be human?') did find their way into the movie. And the movie also added a lot of new stuff into the script -- in the book, Deckard just shoots Roy Bat(t)y after encountering him, and that's it. And somehow, the new additions seem to actually make sense and add to the depth of the story. And then of course there's still the amazing visuals and the great soundtrack by Vangelis.

The stories are very different though in a lot of ways, so it's quite hard to compare them and to say that one or the other is 'better'.
-- Martin Walkyier

Led Guardian

#4 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 23:37

Ridley Scott didn't just say he considered Deckard a replicant, he said he was a replicant. No ambiguity according to the director. Still, I prefer my Deckard as a human questioning his humanity.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Joost

#5 Post by Joost » 14 Apr 2009 23:51

Led Guardian wrote:Ridley Scott didn't just say he considered Deckard a replicant, he said he was a replicant. No ambiguity according to the director. Still, I prefer my Deckard as a human questioning his humanity.
But is he the final authority? Both Hampton Fancher, who wrote the screenplay of the movie, and Harrison Ford, who played the role of Deckard, think of Deckard as a human.

np: BG - Time What Is Time
-- Martin Walkyier

Kankra

#6 Post by Kankra » 15 Apr 2009 07:04

97% of all science fiction movies are based on short stories by Phillip K. Dick. True story.

Joost

#7 Post by Joost » 15 Apr 2009 11:04

Kankra wrote:97% of all science fiction movies are based on short stories by Phillip K. Dick. True story.
Even the ones that aren't, often still are - in a way. Like The Matrix.

Would be funny though to see a movie adaptation of one of Dick's more twisted stories, like The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I guess it would probably suck though -- I'm not sure if I can imagine a way to make a story like that come to the screen and actually make sense.
-- Martin Walkyier

Skyclad

#8 Post by Skyclad » 15 Apr 2009 16:36

He's a human, and he can do the Kessel run in 12 parsecs and is afraid of snakes.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Hagen von Tronje

#9 Post by Hagen von Tronje » 20 May 2009 17:36

I tend to replicant, too. If you think of the way Tyrrel seems to toy with him, tempting him to discover that his assistant, who also isn't aware that she is a replicant, is really a replicant. She, too, is said to "suspect something". Would be quite ironic if he knew (and he would, right?) that Deckard was a replicant. That would even conform to classic tragedy, then, would it not? Guess what I'm trying to say is that this interpretation, to em at least, adds alot of drama to The Blade Runner.

Kankra

#10 Post by Kankra » 26 May 2009 07:36

That movie has the Old Man. Can't get any better than that.