Multi-Room Music Systems

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
corrupted old gnom

Multi-Room Music Systems

#1 Post by corrupted old gnom » 20 Apr 2009 19:57

does anybody have some experience in or knowledge on so called "multi-room music systems"? be it wireless or a cable-network
i like the idea of having all your music on a single system and being able to control it for the whole house
i have to make a decision before the walls are being built...but i don't really have a clue, yet

sonos seems to be one possible solution
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

End Of An Era

#2 Post by End Of An Era » 20 Apr 2009 20:22

And a network HD and a small PC in every room you want to be able to hear music?

Great advantage of Sonos is a setup specifically designed to have this multi-room experience, and what i state is basically the low-tech do-it-yourself solution :P

corrupted old gnom

#3 Post by corrupted old gnom » 20 Apr 2009 20:38

i don't have that many rooms - and i don't like the feeling of listening to music over your computer; if i don't listen to LPs or CDs...i at least have to make be believe it's a real hifi-solution

so, you know anyone that "works" with a sonos?

Skyclad

#4 Post by Skyclad » 20 Apr 2009 22:08

I rarely have music on as background music or for entertaining people. When I listen to it, I'm always really into it, paying attention, so I have one sole music room.

I don't know much about those sound systems, but I do know you should get one that lets you adjust the echo deal/thing... some let you play music in all rooms at once and if one room is quite a ways farther than others, it can give you an echo effect. Some receivers let you adjust all sets of speaker with no echo, depending on whatever roon you're in.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

corrupted old gnom

#5 Post by corrupted old gnom » 20 Apr 2009 22:21

that seems to be one of the really important issues
sonos claims to be able to deal with it
...it didn't convince me though
i don't need a wireless solution with speaker-cables still being visible
and i don't want my PC/laptop to be my main source

i still have to read some more...but my head explodes soon - i better go offline now; thx for sharing your thoughts

End Of An Era

#6 Post by End Of An Era » 20 Apr 2009 23:14

corrupted old gnom wrote:and i don't want my PC/laptop to be my main source
Strictly speaking Sonos just delivers a custom made computer with some unusual hardware ;)

Well good luck anyway, i know i will later build up a system on a home network with either a network HD or one central computer for all my data. Then i will put a small/old PC in each room i want music, hook up a decent amp and speakers and i'm off :) It will most probably come down to one room which contains all my audio media and will be fitted with some high-end stuff for quality time with my music, and dependend on the size of my income/house ( :lol: ) one or two rooms with regular devices for all day use and enjoyment. :)

corrupted old gnom

#7 Post by corrupted old gnom » 21 Apr 2009 19:46

End Of An Emo wrote:
corrupted old gnom wrote:and i don't want my PC/laptop to be my main source
Strictly speaking Sonos just delivers a custom made computer with some unusual hardware ;)
jap, i found out that sonos is not exactly what i was looking for
it's still a good solution - but the systems seem to focus on their internet-connection and free internet radio and stuff like that

revox seems to be too expensive