The Hunt For Gollum was released last weekend

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
The Rider Of Rohan

The Hunt For Gollum was released last weekend

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 07 May 2009 22:21

This is for all you J.R.R. and P.J.-buffs. And I know I shoulds really post this in the fantasy section, but this link is too good to be left unnoticed. ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/gb/video/x93 ... shortfilms

the Hunt For Gollum came out last week. For those who haven't heard of it... it's a thirty minute, 5000$ fanfilm which leads up to FOTR. Having watched my fair share of Star Wars fanfilms through the years I know these flicks can go from downright brilliant to ashamingly corny. Having seen this one, I'm glad it falls in the first category. The movie was made with a great deal of love for the original books and is put together by an amazingly talented team. Everything, from the clothing to the sceneries and from the ADR to the music is done great.

I really love how it emphathizes on the Ranger-Aragorn from the first movie/book, rather than the Last Action Viggo from the last two films.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Skyclad

#2 Post by Skyclad » 08 May 2009 00:20

I only watched the first 5 mins. of it, but it was pretty damn good. Will watch the whole thing when I get time.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Frozen within

#3 Post by Frozen within » 08 May 2009 17:47

Watched it yesterday. The guy who plays Gandalf is absolutely brilliant, he would have been an excellent choice for the original movies even. But Aragorn ... please, quite a weak performance really. He looks and acts like a wuss and reminded me of little Frodo more than the fearless ranger he's supposed to be. I really enjoyed this little flick though, it was made with passion and dedication and that shows.
Eat more vegetables !

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 08 May 2009 21:16

Hmm... I do agree that he's the weakest link, but I don't think he was that bad. I do see where some of the things you wrote are coming from. My guess is that the makers of Hunt tried to incorporate some of the self-doubt from PJ's Aragorn into this movie.

Still, it remains a pretty impressive piece of work for a dedicated group of fans.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Draugwen

#5 Post by Draugwen » 09 May 2009 13:45

I did see when he resembled Frodo more than Aragorn every now and then, but I don't think he was that bad either. He did look half-asleep a lot though.
All in all... I think it was brilliant. I enjoyed it a lot.
~Merin sa haryalye alasse!~

As a matter of fact... Maglor lives!

Kankra

#6 Post by Kankra » 18 May 2009 07:41

Thanks for the cool link.

How was Aragorn a wuss exactly? When he slaughtered the dozen orcs? Or when he fearlessly searched the wilderness for Gollum?

corrupted old gnom

#7 Post by corrupted old gnom » 19 May 2009 20:39

very well done!
thx for the link, ferdi

aragorn did indeed rather look like a hobbit, but i didn't really mind
but the weapon swinging orc was ridiculous :D

is the sound not loud enough or was it just my notebook?
wisdom starts where knowledge ends