Futurama returning as a TV series in 2010!

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Skyclad

Futurama returning as a TV series in 2010!

#1 Post by Skyclad » 10 Jun 2009 21:23

'Futurama' returns with new episodes
Comedy Central sets sights on mid-2010

In another case of an animated primetime series resurrected from the dead, 20th Century Fox TV plans to produce 26 new episodes of "Futurama."

Comedy Central will begin airing the new episodes in mid-2010. Voice actors Billy West (who played Philip Fry), Katey Sagal (Leela) and John DiMaggio (Bender) have all signed on to return.

Created by Matt Groening and David X. Cohen, "Futurama" originally aired on Fox from 1999 to 2003.

"It's sweet, and basically everybody who has worked on the show wants to come back," Groening said. "I choose to believe it's more than the economic situation. People had a good time working on this show."

After "Futurama" ended its run, 20th Century Fox TV produced four new "Futurama" segs for DVD, which first spurred talk of a series revival.

"It was a little bit of putting our toe in the water to see what sort of response we could get," said 20th Century Fox TV chairman Gary Newman. "We discovered that, like 'Family Guy,' there's a passionate core audience and a tremendous pent-up demand to see more 'Futurama.' "

But it took Comedy Central to seal the deal. The cabler started airing all 72 off-net episodes of "Futurama," as well as the DVD episodes, in January 2008.

Since then, both 20th and Comedy Central have been kicking around ways to make a "Futurama" order make financial sense for both the studio and cable net.

"The animation on 'Futurama' has always been so intricate, and there are costs associated with that," Newman said.

In order to make the deal work some costs were trimmed -- leading to a smaller writing staff and a shorter delivery schedule, among other changes.

"Across the board, everyone is doing a little belt tightening," Newman said. "That's what's necessary to get this thing into production ... no one is going to make a big payday on the show, including the studio."

But for 20th and News Corp., the deal means there will now be enough "Futurama" episodes to potentially drive an off-net syndication sale to stations. The new batch of episodes will also lead to either one or two new DVD box sets.

Meanwhile, as part of the deal, 20th still has an option to license the new episodes' original runs to a broadcast network (such as Fox). If the show does go to broadcast, Comedy Central's license fee will be reduced.

"It's a deal we're all happy with," said Comedy Central programming senior VP David Bernath. "It's a bigger win for us promotionally if we wind up going first ... but if we wind up in second position, then the economics work out for us as well."

Comedy Central's "Futurama" rights run well into the next decade, which is why the net was so invested in the production of new episodes, Bernath said.

"One of the things that excited us even at the time when we bought the initial 72 episodes was the possibility of new production and new episodes," he said.

Twentieth Century Fox TV has called shows back from the grave before: "Family Guy" returned thanks to that show's strong DVD sales. And although not nearly as dead and buried as "Family Guy" and "Futurama," the studio's "King of the Hill" was also canceled and then uncanceled by Fox at least twice in its lifespan.

"Futurama" follows the tale of Fry, a pizza delivery boy who winds up accidentally frozen -- before waking up 1,000 years later. He befriends one-eyed alien Leela as well as cranky robot Bender.

Writing has already begun on the show; Groening said he was inspired by the "Star Trek" movie this summer enough that the updated "Futurama" may take a similar tact to explain the launch of this run.

Beyond that, Groening said he and Cohen already have a pile of potential episode storylines that they never got around to producing during "Futurama's" original incarnation.

"David and I have ideas that we knocked around before we even began the first series," Groening said. "And we haven't gotten to everything yet."

"Futurama" never really went away -- the series' characters had continued to live on via comicbooks.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

ThePKH

#2 Post by ThePKH » 10 Jun 2009 21:29

...And suddenly the result of tonights football match didn't feel so bad.
Fuckin' good news!
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#3 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 10 Jun 2009 21:35

wwwwwwwoooooooo!
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

End Of An Era

#4 Post by End Of An Era » 10 Jun 2009 23:56

all you chumps can kiss my shiny metal ass!! :D

Best news since... i don't know how long! :D

Kankra

#5 Post by Kankra » 11 Jun 2009 15:24

In order to make the deal work some costs were trimmed -- leading to a smaller writing staff and a shorter delivery schedule, among other changes.
Bah. Good news nevertheless I guess.

Skyclad

#6 Post by Skyclad » 11 Jun 2009 15:26

Kankra wrote:
Bah. Good news nevertheless I guess.

It'd be my guess that this would only be for the first year.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 11 Jun 2009 19:38

At long last!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Skyclad

#8 Post by Skyclad » 13 Jun 2009 21:00

This is pretty cool. IGN dot com has compiled a list of their favorite Futurama episodes. It's not just a simple list, but they clips for each episode and a paragraph or two write-up for each one explaining why they thought it should be on the list.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/716/716663p1.html

Aussie_Bard

#9 Post by Aussie_Bard » 14 Jun 2009 02:49

I heard it was in the works to bring the series back to TV. I'm glad its coming back now.

Can't wait.
"The more famous I get, the more I am tolerated, albeit with some head-shaking." - H.R. Giger

http://www.metalobsession.net

Skyclad

Re: Futurama returning as a TV series in 2010!

#10 Post by Skyclad » 21 Jul 2009 02:21

Anyone hear the latest news? Fox and the members of the voiceover cast have failed to reach an agreement on how much each voice actor will be paid per episode, so instead of giving the cast members what they want, Fox is looking for replacement voice actors. That's right, different people doing the voices. But... this happened with The Simpsons a few years ago too, and they came up with a compromise just before new episodes were supposed to start. I think it's just a pissing match and the regular cast will be on board in the end.

Skyclad

#11 Post by Skyclad » 21 Jul 2009 02:39

If anyone wants to sign the petition to get the original voice talent back on the show, you can go here: http://www.petitiononline.com/futura13/petition.html

Don't know if these things help or not, but they can't hurt.

West Virginia Mule

#12 Post by West Virginia Mule » 21 Jul 2009 12:50

I didn't even know it was going to be on FOX again. I thought...who owns the rights to the old shows now? Cartoon Network or Comedy Central or whatever? I thought the new shows would be on there. Guess I should pay more attention. Heh.

No. Sorry. I won't be back without the original voice actors. Why even bother to bring the show back like that? Thanks but no thanks.

The government should regulate how much TV voice actors get paid, therefore eliminating this type of thing from happening. In fact, the government should regulate everything, hearts and minds and bodies, but that's another story all together. What?
KILROY WAS HERE

blind-man

#13 Post by blind-man » 21 Jul 2009 18:22

If you want to ruin a famous animated show, replace the people who do the voices. I remember when it happened to The Simpsons in Brazil. I tried to get used to the new voices, but it was just impossible.
Orodaran wrote:I don't need to look metal in my looks because I am metal in my heart 8)

Skyclad

#14 Post by Skyclad » 01 Aug 2009 23:04

Entertainment: Original Futurama Cast Seals Deal With Fox on Saturday August 01, @09:18AM

Posted by Soulskill Saturday August 01, @09:18AM
from the good-news-everyone dept.
tv
Svippy writes "As we discussed earlier, 20th Century Fox Television was [/u]attempting to recast Futurama[/u]. As it turns out, this was just part of a big negotiation ploy, and the original cast have now completed their deals to return with the show's new episodes. For those of you who did not follow the story, a chronology of the events and reactions from the cast members are available at Infosphere and Voice Actors in the News. Series creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen said, 'We are thrilled to have our incredible cast back. The call has already gone out to the animators to put the mouths back on the characters.'"

West Virginia Mule

#15 Post by West Virginia Mule » 09 Aug 2009 00:11

Yay.
KILROY WAS HERE

ThePKH

#16 Post by ThePKH » 09 Aug 2009 13:54

Don't get your hopes too high. I'm sure Obama will cancel the series and euthanize the cast.
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#17 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 10 Aug 2009 01:46

lol
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

West Virginia Mule

#18 Post by West Virginia Mule » 10 Aug 2009 02:43

ThePKH wrote:Don't get your hopes too high.
I don't have any hopes.
KILROY WAS HERE