Al Wins! (Sorry, Jackson).

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Skyclad

Al Wins! (Sorry, Jackson).

#1 Post by Skyclad » 30 Jun 2009 22:33

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Republican Norm Coleman conceded to Democrat Al Franken in Minnesota's contested Senate race on Tuesday, ending a nearly eight-month recount and court fight over an election decided by only a few hundred votes.

Coleman announced his decision at a news conference in St. Paul hours after a unanimous Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that Franken, a former "Saturday Night Live" comedian and liberal commentator, should be certified the winner.

"The Supreme Court has made its decision and I will abide by the results," Coleman told reporters outside his St. Paul home.

Coleman, appearing relaxed and upbeat, said he had congratulated Franken, was at peace with the decision and had no regrets about the fight, which started almost immediately after the Nov. 4 election.

"Sure I wanted to win," said Coleman, who called the ruling a surprise. "I thought we had a better case. But the court has spoken."

He declined to talk about his future plans, brushing aside a question about whether he would run for governor in 2010.

Franken's presence in the Senate would give the Democrats control of 60 seats, enough to overcome any Republican filibuster if they stay united.

A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the earliest Franken would be seated is next week, because the Senate is out of session for the July 4 holiday.

"I look forward to working with Senator-Elect Franken to build a new foundation for growth and prosperity by lowering health care costs and investing in the kind of clean energy jobs and industries that will help America lead in the 21st century," President Barack Obama said in a statement.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

West Virginia Mule

Re: Al Wins! (Sorry, Jackson).

#2 Post by West Virginia Mule » 01 Jul 2009 00:32

I really haven't followed whatever this is. Busy working 84 hours a week while I still have a job. But if it's something that's bad for me, cool. My pain and misfortune exists for your amusement.
KILROY WAS HERE

Skyclad

#3 Post by Skyclad » 01 Jul 2009 02:29

You should have been paying attention. This means now the Dems have enough votes to stop any filibuster the Republicans try to start and they can push through anything they and Obama want!
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

West Virginia Mule

#4 Post by West Virginia Mule » 01 Jul 2009 17:52

They already do.
KILROY WAS HERE

No‘am

#5 Post by No‘am » 01 Jul 2009 18:00

Does this mean no more "The Body"?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

West Virginia Mule

#6 Post by West Virginia Mule » 02 Jul 2009 04:41

Hide your guns. Obama's Feds are going door-to-door seizing firearms in Houston. The 2nd Amendment means no more to him than the 22nd.

This is the kind of thing that happens in Venezuela, for example. But now here, in Barry's New Amerika, it's a whole new world.

Take the guns away, seize control of the private sector, appointment himself a lifetime term. Osama Obama's got it all. He might end up being the greatest dictator of all time. Hail!

I’ll be in Texas with the secessionist army, what will soon be all that’s left of the real United States. Kind of like the leftovers from GM Obama didn’t want and cast off like afterbirth.
KILROY WAS HERE

Led Guardian

#7 Post by Led Guardian » 04 Jul 2009 19:42

If Texas is the "real" United States, by all means, please let them secede. I don't want a country represented by gun-toting, hypocritical, religious fundamentalists.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

West Virginia Mule

#8 Post by West Virginia Mule » 04 Jul 2009 23:21

Led Guardian wrote:If Texas is the "real" United States
I think they're more Tex-Mex at the moment. But eventually they'll probably be the last bastion of freedom. The saying goes don't mess with Texas. We don't have a catch phrase here in West Virginia, other than maybe can I have some shoes?
Led Guardian wrote:I don't want a country represented by gun-toting, hypocritical, religious fundamentalists.
Well, now, nobody's perfect.
KILROY WAS HERE