Years end.

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Gandalf de Grijze

Years end.

#1 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 15 Dec 2009 01:54

Ah yes, December has come
The first snowflakes fall from the sky
The temperatures drop like dead birds
And people crawl back inside to find that warm hug once again.

It is time for another set of lists
What went good last year? What went wrong?
What were great albums? What was disappointing?
Where did love take us? Where didn't it take us?

All almost useless questions, but every once in a while it pays to look back on your life. A moment to rethink, a moment to learn. For a person who doesn't know his or her past, will never know his or her future. If you don't know where you are, retrace your steps and then you'll see where you were headed.
I like to do just that every year, in December. Mentioning the things that were memorable to me. I used to do it only on one forum, but as I grow, so does my circle of friends and acquaintances. Some people I call by name, others by nickname, and yet others not at all. I'm not passing judgment on people, nor is this a popularity contest. Some people just had more or more specific contact with me this last year, and that can be totally different than last year, and next year will be different again.

Friends/Family
On personal level it has been a roller-coaster again, completely with ups, downs, thrills, spins and loops. All in all a much moved year. There has been an incident which almost cost me a few friends. But that was handled and I'm glad it worked out this way. The last couple of months I have worked a bit more on keeping my family ties tied. The last few years I haven't done much of a job at keeping in touch, and I'll try to better it the next year. Also, due to several reasons, I haven't been able to meet up with all the persons I wanted. I didn't miss the festivals, but I definitely missed seeing my friends.

Work/study
Starting the year working at the Lays factory, and actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. But it finally became time to start my further education. After having failed last year to enter uni, I retried this year to enter through a colloquium doctum. And now, I have beaten the wolf! So, I started Italian Language & Culture at the university of Amsterdam. So far it seems to be going pretty well. I really love the group that I am in, the people are really kind and the motivation in general is pretty high. (Though we need holidays, we're all quite tired it seems). The only real downside was the last presentation I had to do, the first one went quite good, but I had two great persons in my team to pull us through, but this time I was alone, and I've never been fond of speaking publicly. But we'll see what the teacher will give for it. Maybe it will be a nice Christmas surprise.

Love
I've come to realize that even though I haven't been consciously trying to find love again after my last relationship, I have been doing so unconsciously. After a small crush during summer I had decided that I'd give being a single a chance. Or rather, I'd consciously not make any attempt at any relationship no matter how I feel. But as always, love can't be dictated. And though I was trying not to fall for anyone, I did meet someone. She apparently is smarter than me, she had figured my feelings for her out before I had. But alas, it was not meant to be.
It is becoming a bit painful at times, to see all my friends have relationships, getting married, getting kids, all while I am left alone, continuously “fishing behind the nets” as the dutch proverb goes. (Of course, there is no person among my friends that doesn't deserve their happiness, as a matter of fact, I'm really really happy for all of them. Just to make that clear as well ;)) I'm not the kind of person who is cut out to be alone, but it seems that I have to be for some time to come. Whether it is fate, or a higher power.... Who will tell?

Spirituality
On that note, a few years ago I tried meditation, and even though I only mastered only the very most basic parts, it helped me. I wonder why I stopped, but I think it is my lack of discipline. I've become aware of the need to start over again some time ago, but up to now I haven't had the discipline to actually start it. I guess that will have to be one of my new years resolutions. But besides becoming aware of the need to meditate again, the last year I've come to realize more and more that my ideas about the universe and the higher spiritual powers therein just have to be right. It seems so logical, even if some people might laugh at me. But at the same time, I also come to realize that the huge amount of similarities between all religions on the world are not so much messages from god, but more messages from our inner self about becoming a better person.
I find it an important aspect of my own spiritual beliefs to do all within my power to become as good a person as I can be. A friend of mine from university quite correctly described it as 'trying to be the noblest knight.' It has a romantic ring to it, doesn't it?

World
An interesting year in many aspects. First we'll take the economical crisis, last year the banks got billions and billions of government aid in almost all countries. This year it seems that the bankers haven't yet learned their lesson, and they started giving exorbitant bonuses again, only this time from the taxpayers money. How wrong do things have to be before people will finally stop being the greedy bunch they are now?
Greed doesn't only come in the form of money, but also in the form of power. We're seeing a few power hungry people becoming more and more lustful to that power. We might mention mister Berlusconi, who gladly is not immune to prosecution anymore. Although it doesn't change too much unless the trial times get reduced to less than 5 years. His supposed involvement with the mafia is interesting, especially considering the supposed ringleaders that have been captured over the last year.
From corruption it is only a small step to fraud. How many elections have been rigged this last year? Democracy seems far from a common good. Furthermore there are still too many wars in the world. Was there nothing good in this world? Of course there was, but nothing that lingered in my memory.

Sports
It seems a pretty normal year on the sports area, not much special things happening. However, there were some things that stand out, as always. It seems, for example, that the cyclist Michael Rasmussen indeed never used performance enhancing drugs. But the most interesting thing in cyclism is the dutch cyclist Robert Gesink, whose bad luck was unending. A fall in the Tour de France had him quit with a broken arm, and when he was taking over the leader jersey in the Vuelta in Spain, another fall left him wounded again. This time he managed to finish the full race, but he lost his leadership. Impressively he became only 6th.
In speed-skating the last season ended as expected. But this season started very slowly for the dutch teams. It seems there is a large amount of illnesses and injuries. But luckily not only around the dutch teams (though sadly the dutch seem to be more hit by this). The winter Olympics promise to give a lot of spectacle on some distances.
In other sports I've noticed a good dutch trend to win in swimming. Especially the women seem good. Of course the women hockey team has been in top form for years now, and nothing was different this year.

Music
In the area of music it has been a strange year. No multiple day music festival for me, even though I had two planned. Over the course of time I have also grown more and more into the progressive rock scene. Mostly new young bands with original things to add. That doesn't mean I dislike what I listened to before, it just means I listen to it less...
Concert wise it showed that as well, considering that the ones that stayed in my mind the strongest were those from non-metal bands. (except BG's gig at Graspop, but I guess that day was the only metal day this year). Particularly I remember Pure Reason Revolution, not only because it was my birthday, and not only because they were awesome live, but also because they had a good support act that I fell in love with: Quidam.
Other concerts that are memorable were the ones from Múm and Efterklang. Especially Efterklang had a great support act as well. Also Cuby & the Blizzards were awesome, even if they are ancient.

Personal messages
I'd like to send out some personal greetings and thanks to people, a small personal message to those who had a big part in this last year.
Lyza: new friends are always valuable, I'm looking forward to expand that basis in a solid friendship for years to come.
Femmeke: old neighbors just as valuable, renewed contact may bring fortune to both.
Patri: you're a great gal, a great guide. And definitely an Iberian diamond.
Javi: my old friend, even after a few years with scarce contact, your kindness is unsurpassed. And now you have finally done it! Good luck!
Cris: good luck with the old bathtardo! You're a sweetheart. Next time I come around, I hope you feel better.
Mickkay: over the past years we've become closer friends, a process that should not stop. And we definitely need to have another group-holiday, I missed it this year.
Dome and Andrea: both a source of indirect aid in my studies. I hope to see you two again in the coming year, then we can make my practice more direct.
Maria: we've been through several similar phases this last year, helping each other through. As always I'll be here for you.
Joost: I really appreciate our periodical chats over a nice glass of beer. We should try to keep that up.
Arwen and Anna: I had wished to have seen you both last year, but alas, it was not to be, you were both dearly missed.

Resolutions
Last, but not least, I'll share my thoughts, hopes and wishes for the coming year. First of all, I'll continue trying to be the best man I can be. I'll continue being open, honest and fair. I'll always keep trying to think well about everything I do. And I'll try to be more disciplined.
But in general, 2010 might become a year of two extremes. One one hand I feel that a lot of things can and will go wrong in the world. But on the other I feel that I, and I hope you all as well, will be able to face up to those challenges and stand firm. On that note, I'll conclude with an adapted quote from The Count Of Monte Cristo.
Life is a storm, my dear friends. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a friend is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as I do now. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as I know you: as a good person, a true friend.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

End Of An Era

Re: Years end.

#2 Post by End Of An Era » 15 Dec 2009 18:07

Here we go once again! :)

Friends/Family
Made some new friends this year, mainly on the new job. didn't lose any friends, but got out of touch with them. we all go separate ways sometimes i guess....

Work/study
Dammit. Somehow stuck in a loophole at school, terribly hard to break out and finally finish it.. :(

Love
At the end of 2008 i already mentioned her, but i most definitely found a new love in my life in 2009. My new girlfriend is pretty, sweet, cute and lots and lots of other nice things!! :) She has been very welcome in chasing old demons away, something i could not have done alone.

Spirituality
regular meditation, lots of thinking and slowly moving towards an uncertain goal, but moving nonetheless! I've become more emotional stable and some plans for my spiritual and emotional development have crystalized this year. i've learned a lot, that's for sure!

World
Still turning...

Sports
Took up working out once again, feels terribly good to get in shape again. :) It was needed though, i hated the slow decay of my physique over the last two years of non-sporting, but i was financially and mentally not up to it. Until now :P

Music
Had some nice discoveries this year!! Main one being Virgin Steele, but also Amorphis, Jamiroquai, Saltatio Mortis and Moonsorrow.
Furthermore i've recently joined a kick-ass band, and we are definitely going to rock on stage the next year!! :D

Resolutions
Finall finishing this friggin' study
shape my body better
develope myself spiritually
helping persons in need, coaching them towards progress

alleyesonazarath

#3 Post by alleyesonazarath » 15 Dec 2009 19:59

This looks FUN! I wanna do it too!

Friends / Family:
Have been getting in touch with extended family and dad again. Making new friends, and finally making the push to become part of online communities. Best decision ever!

Work / Study
After the mind numbing and stressful events of 2008, I am finally back on track with school. Getting good grades, and will hopefully need only 29 credits after this semester for my B.A.

Love
As Devin Townsend puts it, love is about control!

Spirituality
I have come a long way since my christian days, then my atheist days. Now I'm a henotheist with a pagan belief in multiple gods and mysticism. Thanks Blind Guardian, I blame you for this somehow :wink:

World
I'm still fighting it, one day at a time. Soon I will conquer it all mu hahah.

Sports
I'm begining to work out again, and am gradually picking up gymnastics and different styles of sword fighting. A year from now I want to be able to wield a viking long sword decently!

Music
BLIND GUARDIAN

Resolutions
To have a better year than this, and definently last year, was. To become stronger, more generous, honorable, loving, and an active presence in my respective communities, online and in the physical world.

Lilyael

#4 Post by Lilyael » 15 Dec 2009 22:01

Friends / Family:
still annoying, still there for me

Work / Study
I just think of this: when I retire on full service, my pension will make me rich

Love
Got engaged.

Spirituality
I know where I'm going, and how to get there

World
It's fucked, but I still do my best, a one-woman mission to save it.

Sports
Does arguing count ?!

Music
So many new discoveries. And some inspiration

Resolutions
are just one of those little lies we all tell ourselves. This year, I really will keep mine. I really will.
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Sleeping Dragon

#5 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 16 Dec 2009 08:58

Friends / Family:
still there, still love them

Work / Study
uni's going great.

Love
huh?

Spirituality
not looking for any at the moment.

World
i'm learning deustch.

Sports
got into swimming, going great.

Music
listening.

Resolutions
i made my resolutions a long time ago and have already conquered a few.
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

Sentinel

#6 Post by Sentinel » 16 Dec 2009 10:08

Yay, it´s back again! It´s really a shame that the old topics got lost after the pruning, but you can´t have it all, can you?

It´s been a fast year to me, and I literally mean it. Time flies for me since I´m out of school, and it seems it turns faster with every year I grow older, but 2009 went so fast by....pure madness, I say. Maybe that is because it was the first year, where I really could concentrate on myself and on all those little aspects that make life worthwhile. Maybe that is because I know 2010 will be a year full of hard and difficult decisions, which ultimately result in the loss of a huge amount of free time, privileges and money. Uncertain the future is for me...

I´ll try to stick to the given categories. Here we go:

Friends/Family
I guess, I´ve lost some old friends, mainly because we went separated ways and at one time simply lost contact to each other. Luckily, I made a lot of new friends around my area, something I was wishing for so long, and those guys are a total win! On the other hand, I hate it to neglect other old friendships and I know I´m doing so...the worst part is, it doesn´t even happen on purpose, it´s simply because I don´t have enough time to spend on e.g. ICQ.
Still, it was good to meet up with some of the forumers again. You guys mean a lot to me and my hopes are high, that one day, we will have another great forum meeting!

The relationship to my family is fine, ever since I moved out in 2008.

Work/study
Work sucks and is not a challenge for me anymore. I´m bored as hell but the work brings good money...

Love
Heart is still in flames. :)

Spirituality
I always called myself nature-child. When I´m wandering through nature´s beauty, all of life´s problems seem so far away. For me it´s like diving into another world, when wandering through a forest or at the shores of a lake. The spirit is there, I can almost feel it.

World
Still turning and being abused by the ignorant, stupid and greedy animal that is called "human".

Sports
Dived further into the world of traditional archery, and I´m fucking loving it! The combination of concentration and inner tranquillity, being outside surrounded by nature´s beauty, is so special for me!

Music
Discovered one or two new bands, have been to a load of good concerts and festivals (Amorphis[best fucking birthday-party ever!], SummerBreeze). Also, I managed to spend more time with my piano and bass.

Resolutions
Try to get in shape again and take care of my health
Definately have to work on my self-confidence
Finish my Spanish-lessons
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Frozen within

#7 Post by Frozen within » 16 Dec 2009 22:29

Last edited by Frozen within on 07 Jan 2010 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Eat more vegetables !

End Of An Era

#8 Post by End Of An Era » 16 Dec 2009 22:38

Frozen within wrote: Resolutions
- making more Dutchisms.
there, i fixed it for you :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#9 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 17 Dec 2009 00:14

indeed
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Cerbere

#10 Post by Cerbere » 17 Dec 2009 06:34

Friends/family
Made a few lost a few, nothing unusual though

Work/Study
I hate being a freshman

Love
Not so much

Spirituality
Fuck that

World
A little warmer :wink:

Sports
Golf

Music
Got into a few bands like Iced Earth and Black Majesty. I still listen to some of my favorites like BG and Wintersun.

Resolutions
Uhm... get a wench

Mackasfour

#11 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Dec 2009 10:29

Freinds/Family
Made some great mates through the year, the usual yeah :P

Work/Study
.... Meh, it's getting done

Love
Not really

Spirituality
Lol

World
Still destined for Epic Failure

Sports
Not really for me anymore

Music
Slowly branching out finding new awesome bands

Resolutions
Survive another year
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Mackasfour

#12 Post by Mackasfour » 18 Dec 2009 10:29

Oh yeah and, win that damned game
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

End Of An Era

#13 Post by End Of An Era » 18 Dec 2009 12:46

Mackasfour wrote:Oh yeah and, win that damned game
perfect proof for the theory that resolutions are bound to fail :P

Gandalf de Grijze

#14 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 18 Dec 2009 13:20

intead

Andreas

#15 Post by Andreas » 18 Dec 2009 15:47

Well, let's see, the first time is always the most difficult :P

Friends/Family
I got less contact with lots of friend from school, since I finished it. My best friend and my sister had the honour of witnessing me at my first real metal concert.
Both my grandmothers aren't doing too well... one of them recovered from pneumonia and turned 88 yesterday, the other has a heart that seems to be like a ticking timebomb. Wasn't that much of a nice person for whole her life, but seems to have improved lately. My only grandfather I have left has been suffering from Alzheimer for almost a decade now... it's not in my hands of course, but sometimes I think death is the best solution left for him.

Work/study
Finished my highschool (VWO 6) :D Couldn't find another study yet, but I'm following a course Spanish right now... it's nice :) And a few temporary jobs, I wish I could work more :?

Love
Maybe the most painful and complicated of all, so this one is written last. I've been liking a girl for years, and after the school prom and the final exams all of a sudden she seems interested, and after a few weeks she treats me like shit. After that I keep my distance, and she e-mails from time to time. Like last Saturday for instance, after almost 2 months. I can't stand myself when I notice that that kind of thing still hurts. She hasn't been a nice person for me, so maybe I can forgive, but I won't forget. Now she wants some more contact. Damn, I even didn't send an e-mail back. But I discovered how to handle this situation. I'll stand up for myself and for who I am. I used to care about liking things she wouldn't blame me for liking. But that will change. If she doesn't like that, I know enough. That has always been a point of me that can be exploited: my forgiveness.

Spirituality
Another year that proved me that God can be just and mercyful. "Just" can be read under "love", but I've encountered many good things this year. I'm definately not in the position to criticize Him, so I'll try not to.

World
Holland Heerscht!

Sports
Started at my fourth football season, my second as a team leader. Bad first half of the season, hoping for a better 2nd half. I also improved in playing futsal, making more goals.

Music
I'll try to keep it short. By very great chance I discovered Blind Guardian in the beginning of January, and I discovered many other great bands as well: Rhapsody, Sabaton, Alestorm, Demons & Wizards, Freedom Call and many more.

Resolutions
-Being more consistent in making my homework for my Spanish course
-Try to stand up for myself more, but without harming others
-Finding a study that suits me well

Orodaran

#16 Post by Orodaran » 19 Dec 2009 02:12

Let's have a go at this as well, on a late evening while outside it's snowing 8)

Friends/Family
All fine in the family, even though I lost a second grade uncle to cancer. With friends I can't complain; kept the closest ones I already had, and also made some new ones, with some of them going past the MSN / Facebook thing luckily :wink: this year has been definitively a "medieval" year for me - I've attended more than a palium or medieval / tolkienish faire, not that the interest for the medieval thingie wasn't previously there, but only this year I made it very active by purposedly looking for all those nice paliums and exibitions, ultimately starring in one, and meeting also some interesting people in the process. And as I said, it's nice that with some of them the thing goes past the online contact thing, even though keeping general connections is still useful because you never know what other interesting opportunities may come up, or who else you may meet through people you already know... the more friends you acquire and the more new experiences you have, higher are the chances of having even more meaningful and important experiences, and meeting even more interesting people!

Work/study
Still have my usual job as a technical assistant, and all went fine (especially thanks to my quite high holidays carnet that allowed me to take quite a lot of free days), until they really pulled one over on me... and a very nasty one!! It's 3 years by now that I answer mails from customer, which is a lot better than answering to the phone instead - especially since, from the last time I did it, the phone service got worse and way more stressfull. Well, with a few hours notice in October they took me away from the mails and sent me back on the phone to help! it was not a punishment, on the contrary - they selected me and another experienced guy to help them out a bit since the situation of the phone team work was not that good, and it was clear from the beginning that it was a temporary thing (it eventually last nearly 2 months), but what a stressfull period it was!! thrown back without any hint about it in a situation I did not face since three years, losing my previous habits and readapting them to the worse and more complicated situation of the phone service... it was a dark and stressful period for me and even though I passed it with flying colors (not trying to lick my own ass here or anything, but also denying one's own merits is not nice, so let me just say that as I kicked ass three years ago, I kicked ass again in that period and I left something to remember there), it's something that I would have never ever wanted to happen to me, and I sure do not want it to happen ever again. Just leave me in my nice corner... or give me a team with many girls to lead :wink:

Love
Needless to say, another day has passed away
Yet everything, and nothing, has changed
Awake I lie, my thoughts get lost up in the sky
Needless to say, nothing will change...

Symphony X put it nicely for me... single at the beginning of the year, single now, and anyway it's ages I don't "fall in love" anymore by now... there can be crushes, attractions, desires, interests, but for me love is like a self-revealing situation, a more than evident condition, love is when you say "....fuck, I'm in love!!", and even though I liked some girls, I never came close to that sensation of "damn, I am really in love" lately... it may have to do with being disillusioned with it all, when you're young and naive you meet a girl and you say you're in love and you always will be, later when life makes you sour and bitter you just don't feel the magic of it all anymore and you can't really "love" anymore... I still regard the 2003/4 period as the last time I was really in love, everything that came after just falls into the crush / attraction thing (which is still something, depending on cases, that can drive you nuts just as love does :P ). Anyway, it's not over 'til it's not over so I always leave a window open for new opportunities, and come what may... while the disillusion with it all is there, it would only be auto-lesionist to close oneself in one room and never get out because "it's not worth it anyway", I guess everyone agree on this!

Spirituality
What's spirituality? don't have it, don't feel it, don't need it. I'm an agnostic atheist, or an atheist who is agnostic, whatever - I don't believe in a god, I don't follow any kind of religion, I have no kind of interest, not even cultural, in any religion, I don't care about the possibility that there may be something or someone up there and I personally don't believe it anyway. It's not that I was traumatized by my youth years while I was raised as a catholic, but I think I have more enough of those years of spoon-fed beliefs and the last thing I need is to be subjected to any kind of cult, religion or irrational thinking. There are those who believe and it's fine with me, those who have an inner spirituality and ask themselves existential questions and that's fine with me as well, it's just not what I want I need for me and nothing I ever want to deal with again anytime soon.

World
Same stuff going on, and we eventually come to see another year anyway... let's hope for something useful to come out of the Copenaghen meeting, that the climate won't go completely and definitively batshit crazy on us (more than it's already doing, I mean), and that the economical crisis will make way to a more positive outlook on the world economy... I'm tired and bored with hearing just the same issues on TV: The crisis, the wars in the Middle-East, politicians talking bullshit and doing nothing, the killer flu which is the 21st century Black Plague no wait it's not that deadly anymore, and the random killngs here and there....

Sports
No Soccer World Cup, what happened then this year? probably nothing worth remembering :P sucky F1 year, sucky season for AC Milan, forgot already who won the Giro and the Tour... uh well, I'm sure I enjoyed something here and there, bring on next year and the World Cup mania!

Music
This has surely been an interesting year for me - tied in with the medieval thing, this year I dived a lot (or maybe just a bit, actually) in folk music. Again, it's not that I was oblivious to it, it's just that my attention towards this genre developed a lot... too bad for those gruntled vocals I can barely stand :P Elvenking, Folkstone, Finntroll (...the acustic album), Saltatio Mortis, Eluveitie (again, the acoustic record), Faun, Garmarna are only some of the bands I've come to appreciate this year; I fully know someone may read this tiny list and say "and you call THAT listening to folk metal" but hey, it's a certain kind of sounds that matters, with time I'll expand my tastes even more :wink: for sure this year I've looked for the violin and the hurdy gurdy way more than a double bass drum or a wailing guitar. I've even fell in love with Sigur Ros, a post-rock band from Iceland who make music unbelieavably dreamy and touching, so while my basic love for traditional metal will never die, my current and present tastes are stretching in many directions.

On the concerts side, I've seen: Edguy with Andrè Matos, Blackmore's Night, Iced Earth & Saxon, Judas Priest with Megadeth and Testament, the Gods of Metal festival (main headliners I cared for were Black Sabbath [yes, I call them that way, ok?] and Dream Theater, and let's not forget that a certain Krefeld-based band was also there with a very nice show), a mini folk festival (the consacration of my interest for folk sounds and music) and Sonata Arctica.

Highlights of the year
Why no one ever thought of this category yet? :P in random order:
- The many paliums, medieval and tolkienish faires I attended, with the highlights being a palium in Como where I actually took part in it, dressed as an herald for a whateverking that was cousin to Frederick Redbeard, and the "home game" - the Celtic New Year's Eve here in Milan :wink: what a blast walking around my very hometown all dressed up in a cloaked mantle, hehe!
- Visiting Rome and Venice in the same year, too bad not putting Florence also in it and making therefore the "triple crown" of what I consider italian highlights when it comes to big cities of arts... the Venice one-day trip I particularly enjoyed, I had a bad history with Venice and the weather (as someone who may read here from time to time may remember from first hand experience, hello to you :wink: ) and going there in a totally and completely beautiful day was such a reward for all the previous misfortunes!
- Being able to add at least another country to the list of nations I visited, this one being Croatia - this as a part of a fulfilling and nice summer holiday spent between the sea in Slovenia, and my mountains in the Dolomites (add also the hard trekking to reach the Three Peaks of Lavaredo, three beautiful and majestic, stand-alone peaks, as a very highlight of it all!!!)
- Having met some new people in a conscious process of being up for many opportunities and new things, trying to make the most out of it

Resolutions
Not really resolutions, as more as half wishes... and I don't really add one... but I guess you could put continue to travel, continue to pursue my interest in medieval paliums and faires, star again it at least another one, having at least a meaningful abroad holiday, become a better and more skilled photographer, and find a way to not die alone.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gandalf de Grijze

#17 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 19 Dec 2009 02:48

Aaaaah... Andrea, I am so with you on many levels..

West Virginia Mule

#18 Post by West Virginia Mule » 19 Dec 2009 12:41

Friends/Family

They don't belong in the same category. The premise is flawed. I'm not fucking answering.

Work/study

The oil refinery I work in lost $14 million the past year. Fuck you very much. And study? I've studied new and interesting ways to hate Europeans. You worthless fucks.

Love

I love Pepsi and Rush Limbaugh. Platonically, of course.

Spirituality

God has a sense of humor. He made it snow on the big Copenhagen charade. I forget...is dear Mother Earth in dire, imminent peril from warming caused by those pesky humans? Or was it something else? Ahh, yes, it IS something else: tyranny masquerading as pseudo-environmentalism.

World

Fuck you people. Fucking serfs.

Sports

Who gives a good goddamn flying fuck about sports?

Music

Anything American.

Personal messages

Eat shit.

Resolutions

Fight the good fight every moment, every minute, every day. As the song said.
KILROY WAS HERE

rdyfrde

#19 Post by rdyfrde » 20 Dec 2009 21:42

Friends/Family
Family still ignores me like they usually do. Friends are having troubles that I can't fix :(

Work/study
Work sucked this year. My boss, who used to stand up for her employees, is content to lead us to the slaughter. Bitch.

Love
What love? It's obvious that I will never experience it.

Spirituality
None

World
Busy killing each other like stupid animals. Same old, same old.

Sports
No much in the way of sports this year. I miss watching hockey on TV but I have no cable. Bummer.

Music
One of the more happier things this year. Discovered a lot of cool bands like Sonata Arctica, DGM, Northern Kings, David Garrett, Elias Viljanen, & Domain. A great album by Place Vendome managed to be the best album of the year thanks to Michi's voice.

There was some low points like Trans-Siberian Orchestra's crappy Night Castle album and Dream Theater's less than stellar Black Clouds & Silver Linings. Though next year promises to be huge as damn near all of my favorite bands are releasing new albums :D

Highlights of the year
- Visiting Italy & Switzerland for the first time
- Meeting my longtime online friend Lia for the first time
- Traveling to see Sonata Arctica twice in Italy & Switzerland
- Meeting Sonata Arctica after the Pratteln show
- Seeing Gods of Metal for the first time
- Meeting my friend Del from France for the first time
- Seeing Nobuo Uematsu and Final Fantasy live. Awesome.

Resolutions
None really. I've managed to figure out a way to save money without starving myself this year so I don't really have anything to do next year. Maybe find a new job.
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#20 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 20 Dec 2009 23:42

Friends/Family
ok,i kinda have more friends now than before due to my new job,but i do know that if i get fired those friends will probably disappear.
Now,i do have a couple of "lifelong friends" who,as always,have been there for me.My family is "no more",my wife left me and now the family is just me and my two kids....at first i thought it would be a lot harder,but thanks to my mom and dad who are always supporting us three,things have been going smooth

Work/study
just work,no studies yet.at the begining of this year i was the "boss" of like 10 construction workers,due to the fucking global crisis,my business broke..and now i work at a customer services call center...so yeah,i'm back where i was like ,12 years ago....but i shall rebuild my empire,i'm confident.
oh and as for studies...my plan is to go to college in 2011,i will become a teacher :D

Love
fuck love,my wife left me!fuck her too!

Spirituality
as always,i trust my brain more than i trust invisible things that are suposed to be watching over me or guiding...whatever.what i have learned this year is to thank cristians for when they have prayed for me or give me their "blesssing".Not that i think that it will actually work,i just apreciate the intention.

World
the world is great,it's society that's fucked up,but i couldn't care less.i just enjoy the ride.

Sports
well,this little country made it to South Africa 2010 ranking amongst the top 4 teams in the qualifiers,not only that,they did it playing at a great level,so everyone here is happy,and so am i.

Music
let's see...i fulfilled 2 lifelong dreams:i got to see Opeth in april and Gogol Bordello in november,can't complain.

Highlights of the year

don't know exactly what to say here,but there were a couple of very nice moments i had with a friend of mine(female)whom i hadn't seen in years,we've been there for each other lately and it's nice to know she's there.
Resolutions
ok this is the tricky part,because i usually say stuff that i don't do but,here goes.
_no more drinking
_i will try to make an indoor marijuana plantation in my closet next year,hydroponic and all...i just can't stand having to meet drugdealers in bizarre places to get my stash.
_i WILL NOT have a girlfriend for at least one year...wich does not mean i won't be having sex ocasionally,just partying around.
_i will get a better job next year,that's for sure,i'm on it sending resumes all over the place
and the most important one
_i will continue to be a good father,and will try to be a better one.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

faery

#21 Post by faery » 21 Dec 2009 14:12

(btw, I really think people should write more than one sentence per category, else it is just not worth it... Reflection is important people!)

Here I go!

Family
The relationship with my mom stayed the same, good as ever, and the bond with my dad grew a bit stronger, which was a welcome change. He also started to feel happier this year, which is an extremely good thing, after years of being somewhat depressed.
My grandparents moved into a apartment close to a home for elderly this year, after my grandmother had months of being in and out of the hospital. They are really getting old now, not going outside any more, and memory slowly going backwards. Which is not that strange, since they are 88 and 89 years old. It's already an amazing achievement they managed to live by themselves for all these years.
I also started to get along with my aunt better. She is quite judgemental, which is difficult to deal with sometimes, but I manage to ignore that more and more, and focus on her good sides. We had an amazing weekend in Edinbrough, nicer than most of our weekends away in preceding years.

Friends
I met a lot of new people this year. Some of which I will probably grow closer to and develop a good friendship with in the next year, and some of which will stay at the borders of my life. My old friendships did not get as much attention as I would have liked. One of my friends moved away to another city in the end of 2008, so I saw way less of her than in the years before, and the other 'university'-friends I also saw less, mostly due to busy schedules on my side. The same goes for my metalfriends. I'm extremely happy I'll celebrate new year's eve with them, because I missed them lots the past year.

Work/Study
I started on my master thesis this year, with a very interesting topic: media-influences on gender stereotypes. Everything is going as planned until now, but joining a action-platform against the reducing of funding by the government for education in general and students in particular, will probably cause slight delay next year This year I also started more new work-like volunteer things than ever before: I joined the editorial board for a magazine on gender en feminism, and wrote a few pieces for them as well (first time being published, yay!), I became a ticket-control-person for a music venue (best secondary benefits ever: always going to concerts for free, and more than 50% discount on drinks), and on the verge of this year I also started an internet-forum about bisexuality (which might even broaden itself to the topic of all 'deviant' kinds of sexuality and relationships).

Love
Still together with Tex. There were some problems around the summer, but we solved them, and now we're better than ever. And our future plans are getting more and more shape. Our relationship also became a bit more open this year, on our way to something more polyamourous. I also had a few crushes, and kissed a girl. Or two :mrgreen: Nothing really substantial came from that, relationshipwise, but it was quite note-worthy nevertheless.

Spirituality
I wanted to start meditating more this year, so I recently did a short course, which was quite nice. I still don't do it as often as I would like though... Also, I joined a internet-forum which has a down to earth view on spirituality to have some extra primer to muse on certain things. I'd like to get more into some non-fuzzy (goatwoolsocked, to put in a Dutchism) paganism, I think. Living closer to nature really appeals to me, especially foodwise, but also just in having more attention to the cycles of the seasons.

Music
I got more into medieval stuff, although I can't name any bands, it's more the style in general that really started to appeal to me. No new bands discovered this year, although I did get more into Sabaton, Turisas and Kate Nash than before. This year I visited 2 multiple day festivals (Bang your head and Summerbreeze), 3 one-day festivals (a festival in Osnabrück, Keltisch MidzomerFeest and Fortarock), and to 5 concerts (Anathema, Papa Roach, Textures, Dillinger Escape Plan, PowEnsemble). Actually to more concerts, because of my volunteer work, but these were the ones I really went to because I wanted to see the band.
My favourite performance of this year was Anathema, in my “own” venue. That concert kicked ass. They played all the favourites, came back twice after leaving, and the atmosphere was amazing.

Stuff that should be mentioned but did not fit in any of the other categories

- I moved from a very sucky place to a much nicer place. Although it is a bit smaller, my landlord is way nicer than my former landlady. A relatively small change, that affected my life in a very positive sense.

- (Juice)fasting is not nice, and only makes me think about food. I am never going to try that again...

- More food-related stuff: I started eating meat again, after being a vegetarian for 11 years. I missed meat, but especially fish, a lot, and decided that that craving was too large to be ignored. I still don't eat huge quantities of meat, and usually only when I'm at someone else's place or at a restaurant.

Resolutions
I don't really do resolutions, because I try to change stuff if I come across it during the year, not just at one point every 365 days. But well, since it is sort of obligatory:
- more meditation. My goal is to meditate daily (be it 5 minutes or a full hour), to be achieved before summer.
- paying more attention to my energy-level. I tend to overdo it, because there are so many amazing people and nice things to do in life. This goal is best operationalized as more time for myself without having to have to do stuff: each week, one day without appointments (may also be a day spend at uni, as long as there was nothing planned)
- Write more, for self-reflection, for my dairy, for my blog, poetry, stories, etc. No clear operationalized goal or deadline here, since that will decrease my creativity more than it will benefit from that.
- Spend less time behind the computer and read more, and cook/bake more. Which is also related to the energy-level goal, since the interwebs can grab you and take away all your energy. Mwahahaha! :wink:
Last edited by faery on 21 Dec 2009 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Gandalf de Grijze

#22 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 21 Dec 2009 14:18

i agree with you first sentence a whole lot!!

Sleeping Dragon

#23 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 21 Dec 2009 16:54

faery wrote:(btw, I really think people should write more than one sentence per category, else it is just not worth it... Reflection is important people!)
well, yeah. but those posts are way too long for us to follow, so we keep it short and light.

so i see a long post, i simply skip to the part where two chicks are kissing. :mrgreen:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

rdyfrde

#24 Post by rdyfrde » 21 Dec 2009 20:22

faery wrote:(btw, I really think people should write more than one sentence per category, else it is just not worth it... Reflection is important people!)
Considering the short attention spans of the people on this forum, it's probably better to keep it short :lol:
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Cerbere

#25 Post by Cerbere » 21 Dec 2009 20:44

Yeah, I have only read a little form, gandalfs, oros, and other long ones

End Of An Era

#26 Post by End Of An Era » 21 Dec 2009 23:41

i wholeheartily agree with you, but reflection is something personal, and i am not willing to spout too much personal here on the forum. I try to save that for RL conversations ;)

Mackasfour

#27 Post by Mackasfour » 22 Dec 2009 04:48

Got nothing much to reflect on, boring year as always

faery

#28 Post by faery » 22 Dec 2009 10:39

End Of An Era wrote:
i wholeheartily agree with you, but reflection is something personal, and i am not willing to spout too much personal here on the forum. I try to save that for RL conversations ;)
I was not talking about you, but about the people writing like three words per category. That just doesn't make any sense, nor is it nice to read. Or spend time on it, or don't. And I completely get your point, but at least you spend time thinking/considering that :)

End Of An Era

#29 Post by End Of An Era » 22 Dec 2009 18:41

whoops! then i should add a new resolution: stop thinking everything revolves around me :mrgreen:

Lilyael

#30 Post by Lilyael » 22 Dec 2009 22:22

my reflectionist thought was: hmmmm....did I achieve what I said I would...yes ? Then I rock.
Resolution: totally rock 2010 as well.

I can think of one or two areas of life that need fixing but I'm on the road to fixing them, hence the lack of bitching about what's not happenin, lol
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Sarah

#31 Post by Sarah » 27 Dec 2009 01:37

Needless to say, this list is going to be a bit different for me than the other years, provided that i've been travelling for a bit more than a year now. Which brings reflection to a new sort of level for me too...

But hey, let's give it a try !

Friends/Family
Miss them. Miss the family dearly, especially since i haven't been able to see my nephew grow up. My parents and sister have been a bit lazy at sending me pictures... And friends from home are still close to my heart, even though it's harder now to give/get news that often.
However, the number of people i've actually met and befriended during the past 12 months is probably way over the number of people i met during my entire life prior to that. I have no illusion, most of them i'll never see again, but i know that there is a bond that will make any further encounter easy and really pleasant.

Work/study
Absolute epic failure for the year, since i have not been doing any of those two at all. Or at least not for money. But working for accomodation in the backpacker's bar is really cool. Got to meet loads of people there and have a few interesting experiences. Like being dead drunk on duty, taking over the bar when my ex manager had his drink spiked and got arrested (while on duty) by the police after going crazy on the street. Or stopping a fight yesterday, which caused me a black eye and a lot of sympathy from everyone.
I like it here. I still practice the "nose for news" in being able to know EVERYTHING that is happening in the hostel. I know who's sleeping with whom and all sorts of gossip, and it makes me real happy (i know... sad isn't it ? :D)
But i really need to get some journalism-ish stuff done. And get a paid job. I really need to go shopping !

Love
Interesting year... Started with a sad heart, even though whatever happened before i left was not meant to work out anyway. then started a massive heartbreaking spree, going around the world in 80 dudes.... The whole traveling thing completely turned my sentimental world upside down, allowing me to actually consider, make happen and enjoy one-night stands, or really short stuff based on simply liking each other without ending up in consuming romances. Lighter, easier, simpler, better... Or is it really ?
One thing is sure, i learned that i could be good enough for any guy. I don't feel dwarved anymore when i meet a pretty face, and can put myself together and make it happen, and it's much easier than i ever thought.
At the same time, i've been sort of seeing the same guy for over a month now. He's bad apples, alcoholic and doing too many drugs (like sooooo many people here though), and i'm pretty sure he's not exclusively "mine", but the evolution has been really interesting. He might actually care about me more than i thought. No illusions though, it won't last over a few months. But i'm taking whatever is to be taken, and it's been alright so far :)

Spirituality
Still not believing in any sort of superior power (apart from the flying spaghetti monster). But i've come across a great deal of things made by men to honour their gods. Temples in Angkor, holy mountain in China... I guess i'm more impressed than ever by the power of the human mind and capacity to hope and be passionate. But that's already how i felt before.

World
Lost track of what was happening to see how it looks like. My passport is filled with stamps and visas, and every place has been special. This travel is definitely the best thing that ever happened to me. I love this planet, and i just hope it won't fall to pieces too soon.

Sports
Lost track of it too, especially rugby. And i still need to go through the AFL (Aussie rules football) thingie. Will see.

Music
Absolutely lost track. Encountered a few new things, like some Russian stuff, and local bands a bit everywhere... One of my favourites is the Cat Empire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkHd6eBfoE) and some stuff i randomly got loaded on my ipod.
And i'm more in love than ever with the Guns and Roses. Just can't get tired of it. I know, it's lame.

Resolutions
No fucking resolutions, you only live once, and might as well make the most of it to give your bloody existence a damn meaning.
And maybe stop cursing so much...
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Gandalf de Grijze

#32 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Dec 2009 02:41

I love it when people say no resolutions and then go on saying what they will try to do anyway...

Mackasfour

#33 Post by Mackasfour » 27 Dec 2009 05:04

Sarah wrote: And i still need to go through the AFL (Aussie rules football) thingie. Will see.

The Rider Of Rohan

#34 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Dec 2009 12:46

Friends/Family
It has been a quiet year considering friends and family, not a lot of special things happenned.

Work/study
I had a very busy year, which was really succesful and both spiritually and financially rewarding - although it was a very hectic one. I worked in four different buildings in four months time and unfolded a lot of good projects which - hopefully - played a large part in operational excellence and customer satisfaction of a number of multi-million companies.

Love
No time for it, and I didnt feel the need for it either. I discovered I am an happy single guy.

Spirituality
Again, nothing special.

World
It didnt really change much, did it? The internets became even more important and makes you wonder where it will go in 2010. The tacoflu turned out to be nothing but a hype in the summer and certainly not the disaster some were predicting. Having a terrorist atack on the second day of Christmas is horrible, but fortunately it ended without major disaster.

Sports
It was the year where FC Groningen started to suck. The time is right to ditch half the players, the technical staff, the trainer and the board of diretors, and start over again.

Music
It was the year where Wacken was restored to its former glory. With all the improvements made, the spirit of the festival went back to the 2000 - 20003 era.
I didnt really listen to a lot of metal, but I have been enjoying a lot of great folk/world music and country artists. TSO released the best metal album of 2009.

Personal messages
Thanks for the great time at the forum and at the few meatings I attended.

Resolutions

Couple of them:

- more time with friends
-less cigarettes, more snus
- Learning Pi up to 150 digits (must be doable if I put my mind to it and learn 1 digit every 2 days)
- Making steps towards moving from the big city to a quiet village nearby
- Finishing at least 12 jrpgs (I made the same resolution for 2009 and finished only 9)
- Getting an even better job at the company where I work
- Clean up my house and keep it cleaned up this time
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Joost

#35 Post by Joost » 30 Dec 2009 23:06

2009 sucked. It started out with my mother being taken into the hospital, due to a lung disease (COPD), and it ended with my father dying as the result of a heart attack. The period in between was mostly filled with existential doubt, failure, and exceeding amounts of stress during the new studies I started (after not really being able to find a suitable job with my previous degree, and not knowing what to do in general).

There wasn't any time for spirituality or other fluffy stuff in 2009. It was just me being slapped in the face by the harshness of reality over and over again.

Maybe 2010 will be better.

No resolutions this time, because it appears that, indeed, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::