and thus the derivative sign changed

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
ra me nivar

and thus the derivative sign changed

#1 Post by ra me nivar » 28 Mar 2010 11:51

And my free time stops coming close to zero and goes up again.

So here I am, like this song's title:

http://www.goear.com/listen/2360fef/bac ... ron-maiden

Whenever I thought on this forum I thought of vampires. Not in those new, dirty, hot one os Allan Ball, but in those creepy cheesie ones of Anne Rice, which makes me sick as a side effect but hey, everyone's got to pay his youth sins and reading shit takes consequences.

And I thought in these centuries old creatures who one morning became lazy and said "hey, let's sleep for a millenium", and then come back to life thinking who the hell are these young vampires who jump around and make all that noise. And wondering if any of the elder ones will be stick on the dance floor. And despite the cheesieness of Rice's stuff, that's where I am right now. Waking up, wavering my toothbrush around the fangs and saying "hello, anyone of the old guard still alive?"

In that sense it was quite a relief to enter there, change the password for a decent, hard breaking one and checking that some of the authors of the topics here still ring my bell. So hello boys, the spaniard of the weird accent came back. How's life?

Mine, if anyone wonders, is fine. Since the last time I wrote here my life have changed in a handful of significative ways. For example, I ended my rover life, and moved (or are in the move, still) to my girlfriend's house. Seems like the live-like-a-single-and-punish-your-liver-and-cough-blood times are over, and that I'm gona behave like an adult for now on. Looks about time, so well, let's rock.

Another change is that I wrote a book. Don't bother to ask: it's in spanish, and it probably will never see the light, as it's some kind of odd stuff: it's a compilation of westerns, filled of dusty gunmen and whores doing blowjobs and whisky and Colts Army Model 1860. For a guy like me, that more than being a writer always bitched about having and ending text, it's damn great to have a draft.

And the final change is that after all it seems that I became a photographer, with works exposed and bought by people who aren't relatives or friends.

So here I am, at the souther point of Spain, right now, enjoying some free time, and writing here again. I was missing it more than I realized, people.

Now someone please refresh the memory of an old guy and tell me, where was the beer's fridge?

Gandalf de Grijze

Re: and thus the derivative sign changed

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Mar 2010 12:30

the fridge is in teh slaughterhouse, as always..

good to see you back, there are still a few oldies hiding here and there..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#3 Post by Orodaran » 28 Mar 2010 12:36

Yeah, tell me about it
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

ra me nivar

#4 Post by ra me nivar » 28 Mar 2010 13:29

Hello, couple of two!

Gandie, yeah, I can see that.

And now to the main, subtle point, how are the newbies? Tigh enough for a barbecue, already?

Andrea, hello you too: I'm glad to see from that last link in your signature that you are into the HDR cult!

Awesome, man.

Though from the pictures I saw in a fast look I shall say:

Thou Shall Do Something With The Noise, as it's too loud (ever heard of Noise Ninja, and that each time you put the ISO over 100 God Kills a Puppy?)

Thou Shall Not Be So Rude With The Processing, as it's so hardcore that it borders the unreal and, well, makes more blatant the usual HDR ghosts.

What's your gear, and for how long had you been doing this?

Gandalf de Grijze

#5 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Mar 2010 14:23

some can be barbequed with..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

t.a.j.

#6 Post by t.a.j. » 28 Mar 2010 15:03

How nice. I still sometimes use some of your pictures as desktop backgrounds ;)
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Orodaran

#7 Post by Orodaran » 28 Mar 2010 18:44

ra me nivar wrote:What's your gear, and for how long had you been doing this?
I have a Canon Powershot G10 (since october '08), and I fiddle around with Photomatix and another tool called Dynamic-Photo HDR... I know some of the results are too much artsy and cartoonish, and I'm trying to keep an eye on that to not let it go out of hand :wink: I've used also the RAW files but I did not notice particular improvings, so either I do it wrong, or I am right in staying on the JPG field...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

John T. Berzanske IV

#8 Post by John T. Berzanske IV » 28 Mar 2010 19:32

Welcome back!

A book? That's awesome man. You should let me take a stab at it. It might even be a good excuse to improve my astouningly awful Spanish skills. Besides, I like westerns, whores and whiskey.

Your photography skill is really escalating exponentially. Every time I filp through your photoblog, I'm truely impressed. Are you doing just freelance work? Or are you contracted in with a company? You could easily do National Geographic or Audubon Society type work. Or any magazine stuff. Or books and CD's. For example:

http://www.davidruiz.eu/photoblog/index ... wimage=227
http://www.davidruiz.eu/photoblog/index ... wimage=934
http://www.davidruiz.eu/photoblog/index ... wimage=576
http://www.davidruiz.eu/photoblog/index ... wimage=805

Well done my friend.
ra me nivar wrote:You can be satisfied after making a nice omelette, but I would need more to be fulfilled, like having a son, writting a book or fucking Nicole Kidman.
http://www.LychBand.com

Palantyre

#9 Post by Palantyre » 28 Mar 2010 19:49

Whoah, another dinosaur. HA-OOF for the old guard. There's still some kick left in us, even if the torch is gradually making its way to the hands of the next generation. I myself only retured to the forum fairly recently.

For me, life hasn't changed much. I'm still a lazy, good-for-nothing layabout, the main difference being that I'm not a virgin anymore, and have a girlfriend. Not living with her though.

I'm also semi-aspiring to maybe some day be a writer of some sort, but there's not much happening on that front.

Anyways, glad to have you back, you lousy spaniard.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

ra me nivar

#10 Post by ra me nivar » 28 Mar 2010 20:23

Thomas: One of my longly delayed 'projects' is a screensaver with these shots. I want to do it for free, of course, but considering the grade of sublininal adiction you may have by now, I think I'm going to charge it to you, and you will make me rich.

Which would be fine, as just now I'm coming home after a walk through a sport harbour and I had liked a couple of yatchs. And an Aston Martin DB9 parked next to them.

See? Good taste can be a bitch.

Orodaran, I'll save your answer for below, as it ill be a bit long.

John: thank you very much for your kind words and for the advertising, my friend ;)

I'll send you my draft sooner or later, watch your inbox.

Orodaran, another Commandment for free:

Thou Shall Always Shoot In Raw.

There are several reasons for doing so:

1. It's cool. As almost nobody can, you'll be part of an elite just by doing so.

2. You can put the white balance of the camera to auto and forget it forevermore, as you'll be able to adjust it later with the accuracy no camera can reach.

3. The colour information of each shot will have double precission, 16 bits instead of 8, which means less chance of colour breakups in the processing, which also is damn good when you're into HDR, as contrasts will be quite manipulated in the post-processing.

And 4. You will be able to treat the picture as you want even before starting the post-processing in every way you want and the shot needs, instead of relying any possibility to the software of your camera.

So the first conclusion is that if you don't notice any change from working from jpg to working with raw, then you are doing something wrong with the raw.

Like, I guess it's this, dropping the raw directly into Photomatix, as I once used to do. Try this: shoot in raw, with the lowest possible ISO (if the shot is long, get a tripod), and then treat the raw file with Adobe Camera Raw or a similar program (if you use Photoshop, that's the screen that pops up before the usual interface, where you can change exposure, contrast, light and white balance). There, adjust the white balance for the image, if necessary, and then first make sure that no part of the image is burnt in white or black, by changing the recovery (for the white parts) and fill light (for the dark parts) bars. Then push it a bit towards the light side, as it's were more data is stored in the image and where cameras work more efficiently. The trick is to try to get the lighting histogram to look a bit like a Gauss curve, a bit moved to the right. Then, and this is the step you are skipping, you will have a proper base shot to work in Photomatix. So save it as a 16-bit tiff file, and that's what you open with Photomatix.

And from there watching your shots I think you know how to play.

Orodaran

#11 Post by Orodaran » 28 Mar 2010 22:39

*Scrib scrib*

Anyway, I couldn't drop the direct RAW even if I wanted directly in Photomatix - it doesn't accept it :wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Joost

#12 Post by Joost » 28 Mar 2010 22:55

Welcome back, David! A couple of times, I actually wondered where you went... :P

And I did a few HDR pictures as well, as you can see on my Flickr page... not really as over the top as Oro's ones, though.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

ra me nivar

#13 Post by ra me nivar » 30 Mar 2010 15:11

Palantyre, sorry: it seems that I kept that manner of mine of writting long replies and then forget to check if someone else replied in the meantime.

Dinosaur, me. Yeah, cold blood. With all that ice in all these drinks, I guess that's an achievement I already got.

And write on, man. The shelves of the world need to be filled, someone have to fight Ikea back.

Lousy me indeed.

Oro: oh. But aim for 16 bits anyway!

Joost, man, how's life?

I'll check those hdrs too. It's a hell of a technique, that one.

West Virginia Mule

#14 Post by West Virginia Mule » 05 Apr 2010 07:30

Shut up, Dave.
KILROY WAS HERE

Orodaran

#15 Post by Orodaran » 23 Apr 2010 12:53

ra me nivar wrote:Try this: shoot in raw, with the lowest possible ISO (if the shot is long, get a tripod), and then treat the raw file with Adobe Camera Raw or a similar program (if you use Photoshop, that's the screen that pops up before the usual interface, where you can change exposure, contrast, light and white balance). There, adjust the white balance for the image, if necessary, and then first make sure that no part of the image is burnt in white or black, by changing the recovery (for the white parts) and fill light (for the dark parts) bars. Then push it a bit towards the light side, as it's were more data is stored in the image and where cameras work more efficiently. The trick is to try to get the lighting histogram to look a bit like a Gauss curve, a bit moved to the right. Then, and this is the step you are skipping, you will have a proper base shot to work in Photomatix. So save it as a 16-bit tiff file, and that's what you open with Photomatix.
Well, done this: took RAW files, used Adobe Bridge (even though I had to use a DNG converter to let the preview show), imported them in Photoshop, allowed Adobe Camera Raw to fix the balances (I noticed there's a neat feature in that pop up of Photoshop before it loads the image, showing in blue the areas too much dark, and in red the ones too much white), fixed a bit of things there (but a lot of the job was done by Camera Raw), saved a 16-bit Tiff, used Photomatix, and this is what came out...

http://img638.imageshack.us/i/brera.jpg/

Nothing fancy but not over the top either, uh?

(Joost, you can answer as well :wink: )
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------