South Africa 2010 World Cup

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

Re: South Africa 2010 World Cup

#151 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 17:06

horrible defensive play by slovenia and Donovan scores
2x1
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Lews

#152 Post by Lews » 18 Jun 2010 17:40

Amazing comeback from the US, never expected them to be able to get the two goals against slovenia. Great for the group, depending on what happens this afternoon (and the next ten minutes) the games next week should be very interesting.
*I think they are deadly poisonous zanzibar hamsters*

Lews

#153 Post by Lews » 18 Jun 2010 17:43

Why was that goal disallowed?

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#154 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 17:51

i was wondering the same thing,he said the attacker charged a defender,but they we're both grabbing each other,so ....

bad day for referees,thumbs down,kill kill kill!

corrupted old gnom

#155 Post by corrupted old gnom » 18 Jun 2010 17:55

Lews wrote:Why was that goal disallowed?
nobody will ever know ;)
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Lews

#156 Post by Lews » 18 Jun 2010 17:58

Shame I'll probably not see the match later today, got a long car drive ahead of me. Tomorrow morning getting up early to see the Netherlands, damn the time difference!

Daijin

#157 Post by Daijin » 18 Jun 2010 18:23

Beren Ercharmion wrote:Yes, you can't blame the referee for losing the match.

None of those yellow cards were completely out of place, some tough decisions, sure, but you can justify giving yellow on those occasions.
Are you kidding? The first one for Klose was just ridiculous. The amount of yellow cards makes you think the match was some kind of massacre. But in fact it was quite fair.

26 fouls in the whole game. 9 yellow cards. 5 cards for the first six fouls. This referee was incredibly incompetent.
Germany lost against the referee.
So, supposed a robot wants to kill all the humans that makes him "a radical".
- Bender
Well, the truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
- Elim Garak

Dentarthurdent

#158 Post by Dentarthurdent » 18 Jun 2010 18:33

throughout the championship, the referees have fucked up again and again. The finals will end 3-0 because one team hasn't enough players left.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Beren Ercharmion

#159 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 18 Jun 2010 19:43

Daijin wrote:
Beren Ercharmion wrote:Yes, you can't blame the referee for losing the match.

None of those yellow cards were completely out of place, some tough decisions, sure, but you can justify giving yellow on those occasions.
Are you kidding? The first one for Klose was just ridiculous. The amount of yellow cards makes you think the match was some kind of massacre. But in fact it was quite fair.
I haven't seen the first one against Klose, but the rest, well of course the decisions were quite strict. And yes, he shouldn't have handed ot that many cards, since the match was - as you said - quite fair.

But the referee chose to go that way right from the begining, and at least the second foul of close was jst stupid, if you already have a yellow card, and know that the referee is showing cards for every foul.

And as far as I understood the FIFA told the referees before the WC started that they should hand out cars for a lot of stuff that wouldn't get you a card in most other tournaments/leagues/whatever.

I don't want to defend the referee, don't get me wrong, I think most of the fouls shouldn't have been ounished with a card, but he chose to go a strict course, and that's it.

You can't really blame him for the germans beeing unable to score a goal or two with all the chances they had though.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Orodaran

#160 Post by Orodaran » 18 Jun 2010 19:50

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote:I think that's the basic idea behind a defense in football, to not let the opposing team score, with actions according to the rules. But I may be mistaken.
heh,witty as a forum guy

but really,i dislike that way of playing,i never said it was against the rules in any way,i just think there should be balance in football,that is why there are a number of defenders,midfielders and forwards,come to think of it the most perfect example of balance in football that i can remind now,with clearly defined positions and multi skilled players is Germany,they defend greatly and they attack in an aggressive way,with also great ball control...now...is that too much to ask?"small" teams are never gonna get out of that category if they keep just scoring one goal and falling back to defend their "precious".

anyway,just my two cents.
But what if small teams aren't skilled enough to "attack in an aggressive way", or to have a "great ball control"? now, make no mistake: I'm all for good fun and entertainment in football. I agree formally with you, I don't like defensive playing, I surely don't like to see Italy playing that way, and I quite dislike seing people accusing Italy of just playing defensive and nothing else - especially when those accusations are actually true and deserved :P but, in reality, there's only so much a bunch of players can do, not everyone is skilled the same way, so not everybody can play the way they could or they would if they'd have the technical means.

What should have Greece done back in 2004, when they managed to win the Euro cup?? trying to play an overly attacking game with 5 forwarders? they did the very best out of what they had, and they made history. What should have North Korea done against Brazil, trying to attack fiercely to show them they were not afraid? sure, in 20 minutes they would have been down of 3 goals.

I can only agree with wanting a nice and entertaining game, but I've come to accept that defensive game is here to stay, especially from smaller teams without the technical means to have a great attack or even an awesome and precise work of ball control in the mid field. Italy will play against New Zeleand sunday, and whatever the outcome, you won't hear me moan "boohoo New Zeleand defended themselves all the time, they should have attacked with 4 people and leave on the back highways for our players to attack and score". That's the reality of it all, the good and at times the bad of soccer.

In an ideal world, Spain plays a nice and fantasy-based game with great players and a great mindset, entertains and wins; in the real world, Spain loses against a solid and concrete Switzerland. Welcome to the real world, matches that end 5-4 after both teams fiercely tried to attack or at the very least be awesome in every zone of the field belong to play station games :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Bender B. Rodriguez

#161 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 21:05

Orodaran wrote:
Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:
Desert_Storm wrote:I think that's the basic idea behind a defense in football, to not let the opposing team score, with actions according to the rules. But I may be mistaken.
heh,witty as a forum guy

but really,i dislike that way of playing,i never said it was against the rules in any way,i just think there should be balance in football,that is why there are a number of defenders,midfielders and forwards,come to think of it the most perfect example of balance in football that i can remind now,with clearly defined positions and multi skilled players is Germany,they defend greatly and they attack in an aggressive way,with also great ball control...now...is that too much to ask?"small" teams are never gonna get out of that category if they keep just scoring one goal and falling back to defend their "precious".

anyway,just my two cents.
But what if small teams aren't skilled enough to "attack in an aggressive way", or to have a "great ball control"? now, make no mistake: I'm all for good fun and entertainment in football. I agree formally with you, I don't like defensive playing, I surely don't like to see Italy playing that way, and I quite dislike seing people accusing Italy of just playing defensive and nothing else - especially when those accusations are actually true and deserved :P but, in reality, there's only so much a bunch of players can do, not everyone is skilled the same way, so not everybody can play the way they could or they would if they'd have the technical means.

What should have Greece done back in 2004, when they managed to win the Euro cup?? trying to play an overly attacking game with 5 forwarders? they did the very best out of what they had, and they made history. What should have North Korea done against Brazil, trying to attack fiercely to show them they were not afraid? sure, in 20 minutes they would have been down of 3 goals.

I can only agree with wanting a nice and entertaining game, but I've come to accept that defensive game is here to stay, especially from smaller teams without the technical means to have a great attack or even an awesome and precise work of ball control in the mid field. Italy will play against New Zeleand sunday, and whatever the outcome, you won't hear me moan "boohoo New Zeleand defended themselves all the time, they should have attacked with 4 people and leave on the back highways for our players to attack and score". That's the reality of it all, the good and at times the bad of soccer.

In an ideal world, Spain plays a nice and fantasy-based game with great players and a great mindset, entertains and wins; in the real world, Spain loses against a solid and concrete Switzerland. Welcome to the real world, matches that end 5-4 after both teams fiercely tried to attack or at the very least be awesome in every zone of the field belong to play station games :wink:
the thing is,most of these defensive teams will never be able to repeat their wins constantly and become more respectable.You say that maybe these teams don't have what it takes to play in a more balanced scheme,well,that is a huge problem of the country's football federation,if they are happy playing this way and do nothing to work with kids and teach them how football should be played,well,i guess they just don't care.And this doesn't just apply to defensive teams,there are other teams wich are just bad.

Years ago,Colombia was a horrible team,really,and if it wasn't for the great job their federation have done with all the divisions of the national team,they'd probably still be stuck to the bottom of the qualifiers.Now,i know colombia didn't qualify this time around,but i think you know what i mean(at least if you know football history).

Another good example is Chile,the federation understood the need of a serious change on the mindset of the players,and by this i mean all the players in chile.so ,what they did:they brought in a guy with strong work ethics,at least on what football concerns,and this has brought balance to our team,we qualified second in south america,something really hard to achieve when you have brazil,uruguay and argentina in your zone.

In short:any team can reach this balance and maintain it,just takes a lot of work.

Bender B. Rodriguez

#162 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 21:31

btw,is it just me,or England Vs. Algeria is the worst match so far?

Dentarthurdent

#163 Post by Dentarthurdent » 18 Jun 2010 21:35

There've been worse, but it's certainly no one of the good ones.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

Orodaran

#164 Post by Orodaran » 18 Jun 2010 21:55

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:btw,is it just me,or England Vs. Algeria is the worst match so far?
It may be, thanks mainly to England! geez, I'm really starting to think that if something happens to Messi, Italy can win this Cup again :mrgreen:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Bender B. Rodriguez

#165 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 22:02

Orodaran wrote:
Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:btw,is it just me,or England Vs. Algeria is the worst match so far?
It may be, thanks mainly to England! geez, I'm really starting to think that if something happens to Messi, Italy can win this Cup again :mrgreen:
that sounded like you have a plan...so,do we break his legs or just keeel him?hahaha

Orodaran

#166 Post by Orodaran » 18 Jun 2010 22:04

I'll put my trust in Maradona. Sooner or later along the way he just HAS to fuck something up so bad that even Messi and Higuain can't put a remedy to it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Bender B. Rodriguez

#167 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 22:36

well,that's maradona :mrgreen:

Bender B. Rodriguez

#168 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 18 Jun 2010 23:18

Well folks,'tis been a great day,we thank you for your audience and we'll meet again tomorrow for more South Africa 2010 talk/bash.
I'm Bender Rodriguez
Good Night
:mrgreen:

corrupted old gnom

#169 Post by corrupted old gnom » 18 Jun 2010 23:33

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:the thing is,most of these defensive teams will never be able to repeat their wins constantly and become more respectable.You say that maybe these teams don't have what it takes to play in a more balanced scheme,well,that is a huge problem of the country's football federation,if they are happy playing this way and do nothing to work with kids and teach them how football should be played,well,i guess they just don't care.And this doesn't just apply to defensive teams,there are other teams wich are just bad.
...i guess, that's why switzerland won the u17-wc last year ;)
(if only the federations told the kids how to play...imagine, how good they'd all become)
most of the games i've seen were weak and boring
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

Saurius

#170 Post by Saurius » 19 Jun 2010 00:32

and it looks like the English are going home after round 1 as well 8) Capello is a fucking monkey... gerrard lampard and barry play the exact same position at their clubs (midfield centre) and he just puts em all 3 on the pitch next to eachother.

then he substitutes lennon (fast guy) for wright-phillips... he swaps the player who he fast for a player who is fast, instead of getting barry from the left out of the game and putting wright-phillips there to have more depth and speed... i dont get it and leaving bent and walcott home worst choice ever... fucking monkey
"Sing it you pussies!"

Andreas

#171 Post by Andreas » 19 Jun 2010 00:38

I was already wondering where the hell Walcott was. So Capello didn't select him... strange guy.

Bender B. Rodriguez

#172 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 19 Jun 2010 01:35

corrupted old gnom wrote:...i guess, that's why switzerland won the u17-wc last year ;)
(if only the federations told the kids how to play...imagine, how good they'd all become)
federations dont "tell kids how to play",they bring in proper training teams.
It's terrific that they won the U17,it'd even better if those skills could be passed ahead for future victories on a greater scale.
but,my point had to do with balance,not only winning(i won't talk about greece 2k4 again),so i guess i'm not exlaining myself too good.

Belgarion

#173 Post by Belgarion » 19 Jun 2010 13:00

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:i fully agree,it's a football match,not a tickling competition.some refs just don't get it.this is one of the reasons my favorite league is the Argentinian league,the referees just let them play.
Yeah, football is basically karate. Just let them kick eachother.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Dentarthurdent

#174 Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Jun 2010 13:39

The perfect description of that ref was done by Kevin keegan some years ago already:
'It's like a toaster, the ref's shirt pocket. Every time there's a tackle, up pops a yellow card.'

Orodaran

#175 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 13:42

Today on the forum section of the soccer addicts:

Netherlands vs Japan, they're playing now;
Ghana vs Australia at 16:00 (Italy time :P );
Cameroon vs Denmark this evening

*finds an italian stream and watches the dutchies*
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#176 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 14:00

...and, I'm not paying attention or Netherlands - Japan looks like another match where ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is happening??
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dentarthurdent

#177 Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Jun 2010 14:04

yep.

Mackasfour

#178 Post by Mackasfour » 19 Jun 2010 14:30

If Australia doesn't win they'll be the butt of jokes down here :P
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Orodaran

#179 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 14:35

Well, Ghana already defeated Serbia, and at the last World Cup passed their group arriving seconds behind the future world champions, so with good luck to Australia and all, I would not consider a crying shame or a very surprising event the victory of Ghana....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Mackasfour

#180 Post by Mackasfour » 19 Jun 2010 14:54

Me, personally, think we'll lose. I don't really care, I'm surprised we're 20th on the World ranking. But soccer is becoming very popular down here, a lot of young talent coming :P
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Dentarthurdent

#181 Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Jun 2010 15:06

what a horrible horrible match...

Orodaran

#182 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 15:27

I want 90 minutes of my life back...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Lews

#183 Post by Lews » 19 Jun 2010 15:35

I'm sad to say that match was terrible. It looked at times that it would pick up, unfortunately not. It looked like we were too afraid of Japan to do anything. Hope other matches will be better.

Pathfinder

#184 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 15:41

Definitely one of the most boring matches so far. It was so painful to watch that I have to wonder why I watched it till the end. :o

Pathfinder

#185 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 15:46

Belgarion wrote: By the way, Joachim Löw proved that he is an EMO.
:lol:
Every time I saw him on the screen word "EMO" went through my mind. :D

Though, I'm glad that this time he proved that...cause I was already starting to think that we'll be knocked out from tournament after the second game. Now I can at least hope that we can go through to the next leg after the 3rd game. :)

Orodaran

#186 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 16:14

BWUAHAHAHAHA!

What, they made a change to the rules that EVERY goalkeeper has to fuck up something at least once per match!?!??!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: geez, this is rediculous.... one more goalkeeper suicide, and now Australia is on the lead! (and the japanese goalkeeper surely isn't without guilt for Snejider's goal....)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Pathfinder

#187 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 16:24

I just went to shave and that took me like 5 minutes, and it was enough to miss that goal. :D I thought it wouldn't be important cause it's usually 0:0 at halftime throughout the tournament.

Penalty!!! And a red card! WOW!

Orodaran

#188 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 16:27

Indeed, after the Ghana goalkeeper fulfilled the contractual obligation of one fuck-up by a goalies per match, an Australian defender thought it would be nice to completely ruin Australia's match and used his hand to guarantee a penalty for Ghana, which they scored...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Pathfinder

#189 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 16:29

It wasn't a defender, to be even worse, it was Harry Kewell (midfielder).

And looking from my point of view, it's not goot at all if Ghana now scores a dozen goals or so.

Orodaran

#190 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 16:32

Yeah, it'd mean that either you or the germans would be fucked :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Pathfinder

#191 Post by Pathfinder » 19 Jun 2010 16:35

Orodaran wrote:Yeah, it'd mean that either you or the germans would be fucked :D
Yep. :)

And Germans gained a nice advantage when they scored 4 times against Aussies. So, the thing is to see how Ghana will play Germany, and if Serbia is gonna defeat Australia as well (it would be helpful if they would get a one red card against us as well :D).

Orodaran

#192 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 17:00

Anyway, I'd have to correct myself - from the replays, it seems that the hand touch from Kewell wasn't THAT 100% intentional.... like the Serbian one yesterday for example...
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Belgarion

#193 Post by Belgarion » 19 Jun 2010 17:06

I'm also skeptical about Kewell's situation. It's not obvious that he really could do pull his arm away so fast against such a fast ball coming towards him.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Dentarthurdent

#194 Post by Dentarthurdent » 19 Jun 2010 17:11

There was another foul worth a penalty in that scene, in the middle of the penalty area. Maybe the ref should have given that penalty and a yellow card for the Aussie.

Orodaran

#195 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 17:17

Now Ghana is aimlessly shooting from outside the area in the hope that the jabulani ball will betray the goalkeeper :lol:

I guess this will be the main strategy for this World Cup, "Shoot from wherever you are, sooner or later the goalkeeper will fuck up" :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#196 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 17:46

Anyway, what a match between Ghana and Australia, most likely to end 1-1 anyway.... but they both gave their best!

2nd half of Ghana vs Australia > whole Neterhlands vs Japan AND England vs Algeria combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Saurius

#197 Post by Saurius » 19 Jun 2010 18:00

the dutch arent working hard enough the fucking spoiled tarts :evil:
"Sing it you pussies!"

Bender B. Rodriguez

#198 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 19 Jun 2010 18:41

dammit,i overslept and didn't watch any of those games :evil: on the other hand,judging by the posts here,i didn't miss much.Now i'll cook me some burgers for the denmark match :P

Orodaran

#199 Post by Orodaran » 19 Jun 2010 18:49

Well, you DID miss quite some fun with Ghana and Australia, especially in the second half. For Netherlands vs Japan, just watch on Youtube Sneijder's goal and that's all you need to see from the match (nothing much else happened anyway).
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Bender B. Rodriguez

#200 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 19 Jun 2010 20:43

Denmark just fucked up big and Eto' scored :!: