About linking to youtube

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
The Rider Of Rohan

About linking to youtube

#1 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 15:33

I respect the band's decision. But seriously... Youtube too? I agree that it would indeed be rude to post a torrent - I understand completely. But I fail to see the logic behind that. There are tons of BG-vid's on youtube (including official promo's), and the forum is stuffed to the max with links to different bands.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

Re: About linking to youtube

#2 Post by Orodaran » 26 Jun 2010 15:38

Well, I understand that decision; as of now BG didn't release an official video for A Voice in the Dark, so if you "watch" a "video" (with just a single image for the entire duration) of a new song, that's basically hearing the song for free while the only thing free now are the 30 second samples.

Of course you may reply saying that basically their entire back catalogue is on Youtube now, but at this point I guess nor the band or the label care anymore. I mean, you can hear This will Never End for free on Youtube if you didn't buy A Twist in the Myth - does anybody in the band care by now? but I understand why they would care about a free listening session of a song on an album that hasn't been released yet and on a single that you can legally hear by buying it.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#3 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 15:42

Well, one could even argue that listening to the song on youtube is a great promotion and is more likely to increase sales than decrease them.

But does this mean that from now on we cannot link to other youtube video's of the band either?
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 26 Jun 2010 15:54

Well, I guess there are some distinctions to be made... for example:

- Video of, let's say, Bright Eyes, that is official, it's meant to be seen, no harm in watching it
- Live bootleg video - whenever you perform in public you just have to accept that people may film it or record it, can't imagine the band being bitchy about it
- One-static-image "video" of any old song - well, technically that's a free mp3 streaming with an image to make it look cooler, and as I said before - is the band so Ulrichish to totally hate having most of their back catalogue on Youtube? maybe yes, but I assume not, can't imagine Hansi being bitter and angry at the idea that there's a one-image "video" of Otherland or Carry the Blessed Home on the internet by now.
- One-static-image "video" of a new song whose official video hasn't been released yet and that can be found (legally) only by buying the single - I can see the issue with that, it's a free streaming mp3 that anyone can hear without having to buy the single.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

The Rider Of Rohan

#5 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 16:01

Fair enough. And I suppose by what you wrote it is just a temporary thing, right?

That said... Am I the only one who sees the irony in Curufy's post?
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 26 Jun 2010 16:06

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Fair enough. And I suppose by what you wrote it is just a temporary thing, right?
How can I know? I was just speaking my mind and trying to make the most reasonable and objective assumption, I got no mail or indication whatsover from the webmaster, Curufin or Joost or let alone the bards themselves :P
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:That said... Am I the only one who sees the irony in Curufy's post?
Probably yes, but if you point me out to that, maybe I'll see it too :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

The Rider Of Rohan

#7 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Jun 2010 16:13

Well, first he informs us that we can find the leaked versions on youtube, then goes on telling that it is not allowed to tell where we can find the leaked versions.

But obviously Curufin is so totally awesome that he is above all rules. 8)

Edit: I notice how Curufin disabled his signature for this posting. Guess he didn't want to add a second irony, if you see what I mean. ;)
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Sleeping Dragon

#8 Post by Sleeping Dragon » 26 Jun 2010 17:25

i just found out BG are releasing a new album :lol:
ᛁᚠ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚲᚪᚾ ᚱᛠᛞ ᚦᛁᛋ ᚣᚩᚢ ᚪᚱᛖ ᛏᚱ00!
*Will not be waking up before 2008*

spamel

#9 Post by spamel » 26 Jun 2010 19:32

I think true lovers of BG music would respect the Bard's wishes and should keep links off the forum. If you post links or ask for them, you're obviously just a turd!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Metal Fan
Location: In Angband, chatting with Melkor and learning how to rule the world!

#10 Post by Metal Fan » 26 Jun 2010 21:24

>.< I DID NOT POST THAT FRICKING LINK!
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Is in with Bender on his plan
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

End Of An Era

#11 Post by End Of An Era » 26 Jun 2010 21:31

It's up to the bards themselves to decide what is allowed here and what not. I respect that, but i must add that i do not agree with them ;) But as i am their guest here, i will behave nicely according to their standards. That's called politeness :)

Led Guardian

#12 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Jun 2010 21:51

Metal Fan wrote:>.< I DID NOT POST THAT FRICKING LINK!
Relative?
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Metal Fan

#13 Post by Metal Fan » 27 Jun 2010 02:01

Yes. Damn link was posted, Curufin came up a few hours later saying that.
⋨The Dagor Dagorath, the great final battle at which the forces of the brothers Manwë and Melkor will face one another, and Arda will be unmade.⋩
Blind Guardian wrote:A fairly small but absolutely bravehearted crowd in Tempe has made that a night remember. Marcus(on behalf of the band) says: Thank you:-)

Gandalf de Grijze

#14 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Jun 2010 12:43

I would like to point out that Jason (webmaster) was on the scene directly with that request.. all Curu did was make a topic about it.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Metal Fan

#15 Post by Metal Fan » 27 Jun 2010 17:44

He was?

Just looked DREAMMASTER posted a vid first. And Webmaster didn't post on that thread.

Gandalf de Grijze

#16 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 27 Jun 2010 18:18

http://www.blind-guardian.com/forum/vie ... &start=100

it was in this topic, where jason removed a link from some-ones post
quite soon after that he wrote a mail to curu and joost.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#17 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jun 2010 20:17

Yeah, I admit that was taking it a bit too far.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Metal Fan

#18 Post by Metal Fan » 28 Jun 2010 01:24

Turcomagen (something like that) ripped it from the cd then posted the link..I wonder if the bards have control of what's posted on YT

Desert_Storm

#19 Post by Desert_Storm » 28 Jun 2010 22:46

nope. course not, how should they?
only thing that can be done is that the band (more often the lable of the band) will make a motion so that youtube will remove the stuff completely or remove the audio track, but that happens (if at all) after stuff has been posted.
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

The Rider Of Rohan

#20 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 28 Jun 2010 22:55

Or they should just ask Youtube for money. This way the whole problem would be solved.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Metal Fan

#21 Post by Metal Fan » 28 Jun 2010 23:05

Webmaster wrote:
Dark Jukka wrote:Poor Jason, you've got some work to do :mrgreen:
We are going to get permission from YouTube so that we can control BG content that is posted there. I just need to get the band to fill out the forms.

And like I said I can't stop everyone but the original thing that angered me was a person in the forum buying the single then ripping it and posting a link here. That is a little different than posting a YouTube link.

Just wondering...

I.c.e Motion

#22 Post by I.c.e Motion » 29 Jun 2010 10:08

Personally.. I think asking users of a board to not post such links is quite ridiculous. It doesnt solve the problem.. the vids are still there and links will be shared. Just not here.. and that's rather silly.

The way this should be handled is to have the label contact youtube and have the vids (or audio of it) removed. This happens all the time and in general Youtube is very fast in handling such requests.

The better way to handle this is to get a video of that song up on youtube disregarding the need for other users to post said song. Create a buzz using such sites.. instead of blocking a buzz started by a fan.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl

Desert_Storm

#23 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Jul 2010 15:53

Intrestingly enough:
Hansi wrote: I consider it okay that our fans buy them. I also don’t mind if people trade our music on mp3, because it promotes the band. That's also why I don't like to have copy-protection on our cd’s. The only thing I don’t like is when people make money from our music by selling bootlegs. That’s the problem.

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 01 Jul 2010 16:02

I.c.e Motion wrote:Personally.. I think asking users of a board to not post such links is quite ridiculous. It doesnt solve the problem.. the vids are still there and links will be shared. Just not here.. and that's rather silly.
Well, I think the point was not "Let's avoid completely that this particular album and this particular single leak", but rather "Since all albums and songs leak anyway, can you please have the courtesy to not talk about it right in our face?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#25 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 01 Jul 2010 16:11

Desert_Storm wrote:Intrestingly enough:
Hansi wrote: I consider it okay that our fans buy them. I also don’t mind if people trade our music on mp3, because it promotes the band. That's also why I don't like to have copy-protection on our cd’s. The only thing I don’t like is when people make money from our music by selling bootlegs. That’s the problem.
i had read that before and i fully agree,trading music in any form is fine,making profit out of it,is wrong...here in chile you'll find full discographies on dvd discs at any flea market.The providers of this mp3's,are mostly from argentina and sell them to their "retailers" here,who then sell those to the flea market shop owners...i mean,that's criminal,no different than drug dealing,now THAT i'm against,totally.

as for selling bootlegs,i always remember a DVD bootleg i downloaded,a Pink Floyd fan made one...it had a warning screen wich said something like "This material was made by fans with huge effort and is meant for free distribution among fans,you may copy and trade this...if you're selling this on e-Bay FUCK YOU"
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

The Rider Of Rohan

#26 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 01 Jul 2010 18:11

Desert_Storm wrote:Intrestingly enough:
Hey, that's from an interview I did! That's stealing!

:P
spamel wrote:
Periods.

Desert_Storm

#27 Post by Desert_Storm » 01 Jul 2010 23:55

Oh dear God we had this before, quoting is nearly always legally allowed in western countries. Nice interview, btw :wink:

spamel

#28 Post by spamel » 02 Jul 2010 11:48

I'd never seen that interview, so quoting it was a good thing as far as I am concerned. I see the Orchestral Album was mentioned and so it has been planned for a long time, obviously and four or five songs were complete at the time of the interview, so how much more have they got done by now? With an album about to be released and the Bards on tour soon, will we be looking at another year or so minimum before the Orchestral album gets released or could it be even longer? How much percentage is complete?
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

The Rider Of Rohan

#29 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 03 Jul 2010 13:14

spamel wrote:I'd never seen that interview, so quoting it was a good thing as far as I am concerned. I see the Orchestral Album was mentioned and so it has been planned for a long time, obviously and four or five songs were complete at the time of the interview, so how much more have they got done by now? With an album about to be released and the Bards on tour soon, will we be looking at another year or so minimum before the Orchestral album gets released or could it be even longer? How much percentage is complete?
Honestly, I think this interview was much better: http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showintervie ... 38&lang=en

As for the orchestral album: I wouldn't be surprised if songwriting was nearly finished already. I assume switching recordlabels postponed it indefinitely. When you are Nuclear Blast and you sign a band, you don't want their first album on your label be something completely different from what the fans expect. That would be quite impossible to market, and there's not a great selling back catalogue to compensate potential losses.

And when you discover that the first album on your label doesn't do so well both artistically and commercially, it's easier to say: "hey guys, now release the kind of album we expected when we signed you, and we'll see about the orchestral album afterwards".

So at the earliest I expect the album at the end of 2012. Same time I expect Duke Nukem Forever, actually.
spamel wrote:
Periods.

I.c.e Motion

#30 Post by I.c.e Motion » 14 Jul 2010 16:15

Orodaran wrote:
I.c.e Motion wrote:Personally.. I think asking users of a board to not post such links is quite ridiculous. It doesnt solve the problem.. the vids are still there and links will be shared. Just not here.. and that's rather silly.
Well, I think the point was not "Let's avoid completely that this particular album and this particular single leak", but rather "Since all albums and songs leak anyway, can you please have the courtesy to not talk about it right in our face?"
As I said.. youtube is pretty good at removing vids. Remove the vids, get one up by yourself, create buzz.

Instead of killing anticipation and excitement from your fans.. because that is first and foremost what you want.. to have people be excited about your new material.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl