10 years ago today

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Baby_Kürsch

10 years ago today

#1 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 11 Sep 2011 09:06

Where were you?

I was 15 years old, in the 9th grade (first year of high school in America), in my 2nd period Reading class. We didn't do very much that day in school that day. When I got home our living room had been taken over by large red crates containing various data disk filled with information about the international space station. My dad worked for Nasa at the time and he was one of the few people in charge of protecting the information during an emergency. I played EverQuest all day after school and the attacks on the world trade center and the pentagon where all anyone talked about.

Np - Iced Earth, When The Eagle Cries
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

t.a.j.

Re: 10 years ago today

#2 Post by t.a.j. » 11 Sep 2011 09:47

I was at home, chatting on euIRC when the news came in. I remember being exhilarated and intrigued. There was this sense of vast elation, of everyday crust being broken up by something vast and new and unexpected. The burning and crashing towers were almost a work of art in that sense. People immediately started talking about who did it and within minutes there was a new channel #WTC and it was the busiest channel on the network within a few more. The day after, I was on the subway in Munich, on my way to the language academy I was attending at the time and they stopped to whole train network for a minute, which annoyed me. More people died everyday from poverty and colonial exploitations and wars and I had never seen subways stop for those corpses. Political cabaret picked up on this, too and soon you had calculations how much more the life of an American businessman was worth compared to, say, an Nigerian mine worker.
I for one shrank away from the sudden outbursts of patriotism and panicmongering, having already studied enough history to understand that up next would be special terror laws compromising civil rights, wars of retribution and the rise of a powerful observation structure. A few millions corpses, lost rights and populist abuses of the event later, I felt proven right.
Our chancellor even said that we are all Americans now, a sharp turn after the election of G.W. Bush had turned much of the more enlightened parts of European politics against the US. He was, after all, a psychotic, religious nut job pretending to be a cowboy crusader. But as we would see, we were none too mistaken and talk about God and crusades soon flowed from across the Atlantic.
In the end the events of the 11th of September 2001 were small and minor things, from which vast injustices grew that are far from resolved. It gave the political spin doctors and agitators terrorism as a very effective tool in de-liberalizing private life, it spurred on a still persisting time of misinformed anti-Islamism and cultural "racism" in the form of new conservatism, not to mention all the everyday prejudices about people who happen to be Muslims or from Muslim countries. Then there's Afghanistan and Iraq, slaughter fields of American retribution and fertile grounds for corporate profit. We saw Guantanamo Bay and the privatization of war in the form of Blackwater et al.
Compared to all that which followed, a few broken buildings and 3000 dead rich people don't amount to much.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Joost

#3 Post by Joost » 11 Sep 2011 10:47

Strangest day ever.

Back in those days I played Magic: The Gathering, the trading card game, quite seriously. So seriously that, at one point, I qualified for some international 'Pro' tournaments. I finished 5th at the 2000 European championship in Paris, and went to tournaments in Brussels, Prague, Copenhagen, Manchester and even two times in the US. The week before September 11, I was at Pro Tour New York. A team tournament, at which I played in a team with two other players from Amsterdam (team Raging Goblins). The tournament did not go particularly well (no prize money or anything), but it was nice anyway as it was my first time in the USA, which was at least somewhat of a special experience. After the tournament we stayed in New York for two days, going to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, seeing the WTC towers (but not visiting: another group of Dutchies, however, did go to the top of the WTC towers in that week). All those things you tend to do when you are in New York. Our group left New York on the evening of the 10th of September, taking a nightly plane that would land in the Netherlands early next morning. Which went perfectly fine, although I couldn't sleep much in the uncomfortable plane so I was quite tired when I safely arrived home the next morning.

It was also the time that I had just discovered the Blind Guardian forum and the IRC channel run by Thomas. Just after arriving home, still tired from the trip home, I was browsing Internet a bit, and probably also on the IRC channel. I think at least Thomas (TexasFriedCriminal), Petteri (ThePKH) and David ([KOTNO]Narrot) were there. Then, around 15:00 Amsterdam time, I heard, either on the IRC channel, or on the forum, that a plane had crashed into one of the WTC towers. Shocked, I talked to my mother and put on the television (my parents were both at home at that time, if I recall correctly), and combined with the lack of sleep from the plane trip, this made everything feel quite surreal. From the rest of the day, I remember just the images, the confusion, the fantasizing of everything that this could mean for the world (this being the beginning of a world war, etc...).

One of the other groups of Dutchies, at the tournament, were stuck in New York for a week longer than planned because they planned to leave a day later, but couldn't get a plane back in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

Now, 10 years later, some memories of that day seem almost photographic.
You charge each other for the time and breath it takes to say 'good morning',
But the truth is slowly dawning -- things are getting out of hand,
We all pursue our shattered dreams along the roads to our own ruin --
Watch our empires sink and wash away like castles made of sand.
And so cast off the lies that are your lives and find the truth within.
-- Martin Walkyier

Also, Balrogs have wings.

::.: Homepage .::. last.fm .::. Facebook .::. Flickr :.::

spamel

#4 Post by spamel » 11 Sep 2011 12:24

I was in the empty quarter, a part of the desert in oman. I didn't see anything until a week later on video tape recordings, it was surreal and felt like a movie. I pretty much missed the biggest event to happen in decades, but it has been made up for with the amount of shit we hear about it every year. In britain, we lived with terrorism for years, and their objective is to disrupt life and create fear. We didn't allow it and carried on as normal. I think the annual 911 stuff should be low key, otherwise the terrorists have fulfilled their objective and each anniversary also celebrates the unbelievable job they did of killing thousands, and I think that is wrong.
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Sarah

#5 Post by Sarah » 11 Sep 2011 21:10

I came back from school, turned the tv on to watch the Simpsons, and the Simpsons weren't on. Instead, it was this skyline view of a massive cloud of smoke, with commentators that were quite puzzled and filling up and it took me a while to understand what was going on.

I also remember extensive discussions about it in here, on the forum... I wish they were archived somewhere, that'd be interesting to read again !
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#6 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 11 Sep 2011 21:34

i was sleeping late and my wife(i had a wife back then) woke me up saying that some planes crashed into the world trade center...i didn't really give it much thought and just went back to sleep.after like half an hour i decided to get up and started watching the madness on TV.i was pretty shocked,watching the whole buildings collapsing deal live.after several hours of watching the thing over and over i went to work my night shift,and all people were talking about was the terrorist event on the bus,subway,at work,in the streets...some even were thinking about the end of the world.

bizarre,one hell of a bizarre day that was.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Steffi

#7 Post by Steffi » 11 Sep 2011 22:30

I had started my PhD some weeks ago and at that day my dad called me at work to tell me that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I tried to get more informaton in the internet, but I couldn't load the standard news pages because they were too crowded - it was a very strange feeling not to be able to receive information from the net. So me and my collegues went to our conference room to watch TV - and there I saw the first pictures - on a 2m x 3m screen. We were standing there together in complete silence watching the burning WTC and reading the newsticker about the third plane crashing into the Pentagon and the fourth one still being in the air. It was completely surreal especially as nobody knew what else was going to happen and if there were more hijacked planes in the air.

And today our kids did see all those pictures for the first time and we had to try to explain to them what did happen at that day and why...

Nodden

#8 Post by Nodden » 20 Sep 2011 06:26

11/09/2001 -
I remember I was just keep ignoring the news because
I was playing chess with a friend (of course I beat him),
and I was probably spinning BG - NIME about 2-3 times per day.

In the evening I logged in the old BG forum to spam a little bit, (Non-BB simple Html, black background, any old hugs like me, remember that? Yes, me and Sarah :) I don't think any of these posts are still archived, though I have saved some of my convos in .txt) and then was keep getting excited about my prospective first university year.

I didn't know anything about Global politics (i still don't) so I excuse myself for not bothering a lot with the 9/11-tragedy of my yankee friends. I mean, 15000 African kids die every day from starvation, I still consider the whole 9/11 issue is a bit overrated.
Carpe Diem

Sarah

#9 Post by Sarah » 20 Sep 2011 14:50

Heeeeeeeeeeeey ! It's been a whiiiiile !

Damn we're finally old, aren't we ? :D
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#10 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 23 Sep 2011 14:27

Sarah wrote:Damn we're finally old, aren't we ? :D
you can say that again

Dentarthurdent

#11 Post by Dentarthurdent » 23 Sep 2011 22:55

he already has hearing problems ;)
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » 24 Sep 2011 00:53

I was 11 years old at the time. Still remember my father coming home around 4PM and telling us about it. We went to the neighbours to watch TV (we didn't have TV, still don't have it). I can't say I liked it very much.

Bender B. Rodriguez

#13 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 24 Sep 2011 06:51

Dentarthurdent wrote:he already has hearing problems ;)
heh heh :mrgreen:
i really didn't see that one coming

Dentarthurdent

#14 Post by Dentarthurdent » 24 Sep 2011 13:44

short-sighted as well? deary me... you've got one foot in the grave, mate!
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect