Orphaned Land, politics, and Israeli/Turkish tensions

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Sarah

Orphaned Land, politics, and Israeli/Turkish tensions

#1 Post by Sarah » 12 Sep 2011 01:32

Hey guys, i'm on night shift today and just got this Reuters feed. I'm sorry i can't put the video in here but the descriptive sheet should do for now. I'll push the mag people to get it on the air next week, and if they do, I'll be able to link it here.

Still, that's quite an interesting interview, as tensions in this regions are more and more concerning each day, and it's feeling quite awesome to see that musicians can at least be trying to make a difference, whether they succeed or not.

It's quite long, but feel free to read bits and let me know what you think :)
Reuters wrote:
Despite diplomatic crisis, Jewish Israeli band "Orphaned Land" performs in front of hundreds of Muslim fans in Istanbul, hoping to convey a message of peace through heavy metal music.
Shotlist

ISTANBUL, TURKEY (SEPTEMBER 10, 2011) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)

1. VARIOUS OF JEWISH ISRAELI METAL BAND 'ORPHANED LAND' PERFORMING IN ISTANBUL, IN FRONT OF A HUNDREDS OF HEAVY METAL FANS FROM TURKEY AND OTHER ARAB COUNTRIES

2. FANS HOLDING EGYPTIAN AND LEBANESE FLAGS DURING 'ORPHANED LAND' CONCERT

3. 'ORPHANED LAND' LEAD SINGER KOBI FARHI PERFORMING ON STAGE

4. FANS CHEERING AND CLAPPING

5. VARIOUS MORE OF CONCERT

BAT YAM, ISRAEL (RECENT) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)

6. VARIOUS OF FARHI HOLDING A PAINTING GIVEN TO HIM BY A TURKISH FAN, AFTER THE 2010 FLOTILLA INCIDENT

7. (SOUNDBITE) (English) ORPHANED LAND LEAD SINGER KOBI FARHI SAYING:

"I think that music has the power to enter your heart like a bullet and it could enter your heart before you judge. Usually we judge, usually we stereotype, usually they will not connect. I am Israeli, they were raised the whole time not to connect with me. I am the enemy, I'm the bad guy and music has the power to break it."

8. FARHI ON STAGE, SAYING 'SALAM ALIKUM MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS. I SEE HERE PEOPLE FROM IRAN, PEOPLE FROM LEBANON, FROM EGYPT, FROM TUNISIA, FROM BAHRAIN'

9. FANS HOLDING FLAG ON WHICH 'PERSIAN' IS WRITTEN

10. FARHI ON STAGE SAYING 'WE ARE ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN PEACE AND WE LOVE YOU, SO HAPPY TO BE HERE'

BAT YAM, ISRAEL (RECENT) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)

11. (SOUNDBITE) (English) ORPHANED LAND LEAD SINGER KOBI FARHI SAYING:

"I love metal music, I can sing about how shitty everything is, which is probably true. I can sing about all the dark in the Middle East, all the wars, all the bloodshed, all the revenge, all the holy wars. But I will be just one among dozens that already do that, and how will I contribute if I will spill more darkness into the darkness?"

12. VARIOUS OF PHOTO ON FARHI'S WALL, SHOWING FEMALE FAN HOLDING LEBANESE FLAG ON STAGE WITH THE BAND

13. (SOUNDBITE) (English) ORPHANED LAND LEAD SINGER KOBI FARHI SAYING:

"For us its easy to walk with our skull-Metalica-slur t-shirt on the street to express ourselves. Freedom of speech it exists here, and it doesn't exist in, I would say, even in very advanced Arab countries like Egypt, like Jordan. Its still very hard to be a heavy metal fan in those countries, because you are automatically stereotyped as a Satan worshipper, anti-religion and so on. I know about a fan of ours that was thrown to jail in egypt for six months because authorities found in his home a CD with our song, that we used part from the Koran."

14. VARIOUS OF FARHI SHOWING A BOOK WRITTEN BY AN EGYPTIAN IMAM, DESCRIBING SATAN WORSHIPPING IN EGYPT

15. PAGE OF BOOK DEALING WITH 'ORPHANED LAND' FAN SENT TO JAIL OVER HOLDING A CD WITH THE BAND'S SONG

16. MORE OF CONCERT

17. HEAVY METAL FANS IN AUDIENCE

18. FARHI SINGING

19. FANS CLAPPING

20. MORE OF FANS BANGING THEIR HEADS TO THE SOUND OF MUSIC

21. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH 'ORPHANED LAND' FAN GAMZE SALMAN SAYING:

"Music doesn't recognize closed doors. Once again, this has proven to be true. I believe all people here are supporting them and their performance is really good"

22. MORE OF FANS DURING PERFORMANCE

23. (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH 'ORPHANED LAND' FAN DENIZ KARATOKA SAYING:

"It takes courage to do what they are doing, coming here and performing for us. We will always be here with them and sing with them."

24. MORE OF CONCERT
Story
Tattoos, long hair and black t-shirts with skeleton prints are not what one expects to see on Middle Eastern peace envoys, but Israeli heavy metal band "Orphaned Land" feel this is their true calling.

Performing in Istanbul on Saturday (September 10) in front of hundreds of Turkish and Muslim fans from Middle Eastern countries hostile to Israel, 'Orphaned Land' received loud applause, an almost unbelievable phenomenon at a time of crisis between Israel and Turkey.

Ankara has downgraded diplomatic relations with Israel and has suspended defence trade following the Jewish state's confirmation last week that it would not apologise for the deadly 2010 assault on a boat challenging its Gaza blockade, in which nine Turks were killed.

Formed in 1991 under the name 'Resurrection', the band has been credited with inventing 'Oriental Metal', now a recognized offspring of heavy metal and there are now hundreds of bands of this genre throughout the Middle East.

In writing and performing "Jewish-Muslim metal", 'Orphaned Land' has recorded four CD's dealing with cultural and religious myths like the war between light and darkness, the myth of the flood, and resemblance and unity among the three monotheistic religions.

Many of the band's songs include prayer lyrics from Jewish liturgy, the Koran and other religious texts.

Relatively unknown in Israel, the band has gained thousands of fans across the Arab and Muslim world, who regularly post comments on its FaceBook and MySpace pages. Because the performers cannot enter most Arab states, the band performs several times a year in Turkey, enabling fans from other non-friendly countries to come to their concerts.

Arab and Muslim admiration for the band has become more surprising, as Israel's international image continues to deteriorate in the light of the stalemate in peace talks with the Palestinians, the occupation of land Palestinians want for a future state and incidents such as the 2010 flotilla interception.

In an interview with Reuters at his house in Bat Yam, south of Tel Aviv, lead singer Kobi Farhi tried to explain 'Orphaned Land's' unlikely fan base.

"I think that music has the power to enter your heart like a bullet and it could enter your heart before you judge. Usually we judge, usually we stereotype, usually they will not connect. I am Israeli, they were raised the whole time not to connect with me. I am the enemy, I'm the bad guy and music has the power to break it," he said.

Farhi also addressed the alleged contradiction between metal music, perceived as 'violent', and the band's message of peace and unity.

"I love metal music, I can sing about how shitty everything is, which is probably true. I can sing about all the dark in the Middle East, all the wars, all the bloodshed, all the revenge, all the holy wars. But I will be just one among dozens that already do that, and how will I contribute if I will spill more darkness into the darkness?" the singer said.

Farhi said that the group's success among fans from different cultures was due to their belief that music transcends politics. But despite the acceptance of many fans, others have not been so accepting and politics caught up with the band last year when a scheduled concert in Turkey alongside the world-famous Metallica band was cancelled due to fears of retaliation for the flotilla incident after the organizers noted that some 2000 people had joined a Facebook page opposing it.

This did not deter the band and six months later it held its own concert in Turkey has been performing there ever since.

Later this year 'Orphaned Land' will tour Europe accompanied by metal bands from Algeria and Tunisia and will issue a DVD of their shows. Farhi and band members are also considering holding a concert in Egypt, after a FaceBook poll they held showed 83% of their fans think they should do so. In the meanwhile, they dream of a Middle East where being a "metal head" is not considered a crime.

"For us it's easy to walk with our skull-Metallica-slur t-shirt on the street to express ourselves. Freedom of speech it exists here, and it doesn't exist in, I would say, even in very advanced Arab countries like Egypt, like Jordan. It's still very hard to be a heavy metal fan in those countries, because you are automatically stereotyped as a Satan worshipper, anti-religion and so on," Farhi said. "I know about a fan of ours that was thrown to jail in Egypt for six months because authorities found in his home a CD with our song, that we used part from the Koran," he added, showing a book written by an Egyptian Imam dealing with Satan worship and describing the case.

In Istanbul on Saturday, 'Orphaned Land's' fans did not let them down, with some coming all the way from Iran and Lebanon, waving their national flags. "Music doesn't recognize closed doors. Once again, this has proven to be true. I believe all people here are supporting them and their performance is really good," one Turkish fan told Reuters. "It takes courage to do what they are doing, coming here and performing for us. We will always be here with them and sing with them," another fan said.
Dreamland turned to realland and we faced a new frontier
We lost the world
Sometimes we hold it but it's slipping away
When we add reality it doesn't taste like our dream

No‘am

Re: Orphaned Land, politics, and Israeli/Turkish tensions

#2 Post by No‘am » 26 Sep 2011 01:50

Hmm, they had a couple of shows lately in the area didn't they?
Male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo

イン ウィーノー ウェーリタース

ra me nivar

#3 Post by ra me nivar » 11 Oct 2011 10:51

Sign of dark times, when a (at least partly) death metal band have to sing hippy cheesy themes instead of chants for blood and fire! :(

somnia

#4 Post by somnia » 18 Oct 2011 21:44

Performing in Istanbul on Saturday (September 10) in front of hundreds of Turkish and Muslim fans from Middle Eastern countries hostile to Israel, 'Orphaned Land' received loud applause, an almost unbelievable phenomenon at a time of crisis between Israel and Turkey.
Well, not really. Even if it isn't apparent from out there, unfortunately there's always a significant dislike towards Israel and Jews in out culture. In spite of that Orphaned Land has had at least one show here every year for almost a decade now, and every single one of them was great afaik.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz