ETA quits: Terrorist bands = Terrorist bands - 1

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
ra me nivar

ETA quits: Terrorist bands = Terrorist bands - 1

#1 Post by ra me nivar » 20 Oct 2011 20:32

For all of you to know, about one hour ago the most persistent terrorist band in Europe, ETA, had send a message saying that they stop the violence.

Until today, between soldiers, policemen, reporters, politicians, university teachers and people who just passed by, they had killed 829 people.

As you can imagine, everyone is jumping here in Spain.

Just wanted to share.

Orodaran

Re: ETA quits: Terrorist bands = Terrorist bands - 1

#2 Post by Orodaran » 20 Oct 2011 23:23

I'm happy too, I'm just a bit baffled at how they all just... quit. Any explanation given? There are some things that I remember already from my childhood, like they were always there: Queen Elizabeth II (still there), Pope John Paul II (no longer there), Gheddafi (kicked the bucket on this very day :twisted: ), and ETA was one of those things I always heard they've been around.

And now? decades of killings and they just got bored and said "uh, whatever, we're done"?
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

ra me nivar

Re: ETA quits: Terrorist bands = Terrorist bands - 1

#3 Post by ra me nivar » 21 Oct 2011 09:19

Hello Oro.

Well, they didn't "just quit": people who were watching this closely (politicians in Euskadi and so) were talking about this since exactly one year ago (ETA hadn't kill anyone since two years ago). Nobody really believed they by then, by the way, but yesterday they were proven right.

There are two explanations:

1. The hooded band members who read the band's statement came to say that this was the proper time to stop killing as the society in the Vasque Country is now ready to decide on their own and such (it was a bit hard to understand as for example they spend some time talking about how oppresion is bad, which is odd coming from people who spent decades blackmailing, threatening and killing people through bombs and shots in the back of the head), and had a memory for their dead and jailed partners (not a word about the hundreds of deads, though). As every public statement of them it sounded a bit like words coming from a paralell universe but, at the end, their drop the big new that they declare violence ended definetively, that the peace conference holded this last weekend in Euskadi formed a good international frame of referee, and that they want to hold peace conferences with the government.

2. And the other explanation is that for one side is that their political branch no longer supports violence and killing, as after all these years they gained nothing from it but a huge bad reputation. For another side, police is beheading the band every few months, always catching their leaders, chasing their members and intercepting guns and explosives (they probably were crowed by police moles, seeing the rythm of police interventions), which is what virtually have ended with the band, not having the possibility of taking a step without getting people arrested by the police and all plans of attacks gone in the wind. And for the last side, the peace conference of the last weekend, even being basically a bunch toasts to the sun, gave ETA the excuse of surrendering with an excuse, with some honour remaining for the hardcore crew.

And now? Well, I guess they should surrender their weapons and so, but mainly now they have to negociate.

Due to the political and police pressure, they can't ask for much (they can forget anything about turning Euskadi into a soviet independent state, which was their goal): I guess that the things they can ask for and get done are two, first, the rearrangement of the ETA prisoners in jails, who are scattered all through Spain and that they want to have placed in nearer prisons, and second, the legalization of a separatist political party formed by their political branch, which shouldn't be any trouble as long as we already have a few of independent parties and it's ok as long as they don't have a private army shooting people.

The main problem is how to do that without the victims and the families of the victims gettint really pissed off. But as everyone thinking cold realizes, one thing is revenge and another justice, and as long as everyone involved in a blood crime pays it (and doesn't get an amnisty or an unfair and off the radar time cut), that should be fine.