RHAPSODY

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.

What do you think of Rhapsody?

Awesome!
22%
They're ok
40%
I don't really like them
16%
They suck major balls
17%
I have never listened to them
5%

Total votes: 63

Cerbere

RHAPSODY

#1 Post by Cerbere » 29 May 2009 00:18

What do you guys think of them? I have the whole emerald sword saga. I like it a lot.

Orodaran

#2 Post by Orodaran » 29 May 2009 08:56

Every album is worse than the previous one... actually I think that for the genre the first three are quite nice and enjoyable, then they went the boooooooring and exagerated route of Ultra Symphonic Cinematografic Hollywood Bombastic Multi-Choired Over-the-Top metal becoming incredibly boring and stale in the process (churning out a pretty folkish ballad every one and then). I've lost interest in them (and the very silly lyrics) quite some time ago and actually the band is on life support courtesy of Joey DeMaio, so it will be a while before we hear of them again, if we do at all...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Sanctuary

#3 Post by Sanctuary » 29 May 2009 09:39

I think the Symphony of Enchanted Lands Pt. 2 is one hell of an album. The interaction of the orchestra with the guitars is just amazing.
the rest is just, well, okay, gnah.
yes.

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#4 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 29 May 2009 14:23

i think i can enjoy about 4 of their songs,the rest is just boring to my ears.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Tanelorn

#5 Post by Tanelorn » 29 May 2009 14:43

I enjoyed their first 3 albums.. and after.. I never really liked SOEL II and Triumph or Agony.. the albums got boring.
Not now...

rdyfrde

#6 Post by rdyfrde » 29 May 2009 19:04

I like them but I wouldn't call them awesome. That's left for bands like Queen and such ;)
"And the seer of fish heads said before he went blind"

http://rdyfrde.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/hansikursch/

Scion

#7 Post by Scion » 30 May 2009 16:23

I've been listening to them from time to time. Symphony of Enchanted Lands 1 is an album i used to spin a lot. But i don't know, i think at the end of the day that while it's good for what it is, it's not great music.

Like Orodaran or someone said it gets too bombastic and hollywooodish. I mean after you've heard two albums or so you start to expect the same from the next album, songs that are usually just driven by a lot of double bass drumming and a huge epic chorus, with the usual drawn out cheesy narrations in between them.
Unlock the door, and see the truth.
Then time is time again.

Draugwen

#8 Post by Draugwen » 31 May 2009 20:58

I actually rather like Rhapsody, though I have no intent of getting any more than the two albums that I have (Legendary Tales and Power of the Dragonflame). They were kind of my door to metal, and I enjoy the songs that I have quite a lot, but I heard some of the rest, and I think it gets boring rather soon.
~Merin sa haryalye alasse!~

As a matter of fact... Maglor lives!

corrupted old gnom

#9 Post by corrupted old gnom » 31 May 2009 23:18

Orodaran wrote:Every album is worse than the previous one... actually I think that for the genre the first three are quite nice and enjoyable, then they went the boooooooring and exagerated route of Ultra Symphonic Cinematografic Hollywood Bombastic Multi-Choired Over-the-Top metal becoming incredibly boring and stale in the process (churning out a pretty folkish ballad every one and then). I've lost interest in them (and the very silly lyrics) quite some time ago...
bingo

back then, especially their debut fascinated me because it brought something to metal i didn't know before - legendary tales sounded "fresh" and inspired...but after a while, the only new thing in rapsody was when they discovered the 's as an alternative to the of in their titles
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

corrupted old gnom

#10 Post by corrupted old gnom » 01 Jun 2009 00:25

nono, it would have to be doom's knightriders ;)

i have that one, too
there are indeed some nice tracks on DoV

most hated? can't tell...
wisdom starts where knowledge ends

rdyfrde

#11 Post by rdyfrde » 01 Jun 2009 05:32

Knightrider of Doom wrote:btw, which Rhapsody song do you hate most? (besides all, for the haters^^)
I think anything with that crappy announcer guy in it are on the hate list. I don't mind him appearing a little but there are a few songs where he has a ton of lines. Ug.

Orodaran

#12 Post by Orodaran » 01 Jun 2009 22:13

Knightrider of Doom wrote:btw, which Rhapsody song do you hate most? (besides all, for the haters^^)
Well, hate is a strong word, but I'd say that after Power of the Dragonflame, I dislike and have no interest at all in any song that is not a folk or acoustic (or piano) ballad, basically....
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Naurbereth

#13 Post by Naurbereth » 03 Jun 2009 16:16

I love Rhapsody ;<
I hate that they are going through issues right now..
Carved in the stones lies my tribute to universe

my words speak in vain for a silent poetry

hear me all mighty I ask for your wisdom

Your path will be mine when I reach eternity

CJones

#14 Post by CJones » 13 Jun 2009 05:53

Rhapsody was the band that made me realize I don't hate all metal as I had previously assumed. Actually as it turns out I like a lot of metal. I blame my father for sucessfully convincing me that metal, and in fact all modern music, was for stupid people only. Thank God I got over that.

For that reason if no other, I still love them. I own every album, and still listen to them occasionally. The only one I particularly don't like is Triumph or Agony. SoEL2 did a good job of combining the actual band with the orchestral elements. ToA did not. It practically ignored the band itself.

But yeah, I absolutely hate the voice overs. I hate voice overs in music in general, but the ones in the Emerald Sword albums were particularly awful.

End Of An Era

#15 Post by End Of An Era » 13 Jun 2009 11:44

meh, rhapsody is one of those bands i listened once or twice, then totally hated the music. :P

Palantyre

#16 Post by Palantyre » 13 Jun 2009 12:08

I used to like them a lot as a teen, back when Symphony of Enchanted Lands or whatever the second album was called was new. Then I kinda got bored with them. Well ok not just kinda, I REALLY got bored. And nowadays they actually aggravate me with their cheap cheesy shit, and Lione's abysmal English. (I dunno if he's developed after Unholy Warcry which is the newest I've heard, but I don't really care.)

Now the thing is, I really like fantasy. Books, games, music, no matter as long as it's well done. And that's one more reason I dislike Rhapsody so much, they're a friggin' disgrace to the fantasy genre. How they got Christopher Lee to go along with their farce is beyond me. Maybe old age has impaired his judgement, or maybe he just did it for shits and giggles. I guess when you're that awesome you can afford to make a clown of yourself for a bit. :P He sure would have the potential to make absolutely friggin' kickass intro speeches or whatever narrations, but of all the bands out there he had to tag along with Rhapsody. Sigh.

Disclaimer: I know some of my arguments (if they can be called that) here may be a bit dodgy, but I don't really care. Rhapsody is pretty damn dodgy too, and I just wanted to vent for a bit.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Catanduva

#17 Post by Catanduva » 14 Jun 2009 17:19

Good band. In the 5 first albums, there's always at least 3 or 4 good songs each.
They have some underrated songs, because of prejudice, I think.
My favorite song is Rain Of A Thousand Flames, the title track, very powerful.
Last edited by Catanduva on 14 Oct 2018 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
#@╣#¢%ç @#°#▓®▒▓

TheLastCandle

Re: RHAPSODY

#18 Post by TheLastCandle » 30 Jun 2009 16:46

I like them a lot, but their first album remains my favorite. I can easily listen to the whole thing beginning to end.

Count Draztikus the Wise

#19 Post by Count Draztikus the Wise » 01 Jul 2009 16:10

Rhapsody was awesome

Rhapsody of Fire sucks balls

voted for "they're ok"
Mighty Jihadi Warrior against the Cows of Hades
Sleeping Dragon wrote:Draztik does not hide behind spam, Draztik IS spam.

The Rider Of Rohan

#20 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 04 Jul 2009 13:05

Good band, although a bit repetitive.

Actually, I read on their website that they're disbanded.

Anybody know more about this?
RHAPSODYOF FIRE’S ACTIVITY SUSPENDED
Posted on 2008-10-04

Hi to all, we would like to inform everybody that actually the RHAPSODY OF FIRE band activity relatively to album releases and touring has been suspended, independently from our will, for an unspecified period of time. We are sorry for that. Further news will be made available as soon as we will be in the conditions to release them. Thank you for understanding.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

#21 Post by Orodaran » 04 Jul 2009 13:10

They didn't disband properly, but they're in a legal fight with Joey DeMaio for reasons that, as far as I know, haven't been disclosed not even unofficially to the public, and evidently until they settle on whatever they have to settle with Magic Circle Music, they can't tour or release new albums... (or maybe they just can't release new albums and the lack of tours is just a direct consequence, why touring if you have nothing to promote)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Perpetual_Burn

#22 Post by Perpetual_Burn » 04 Jul 2009 13:47

Does anyone have any ideas to why Rhapsody are in a legal battle with Joey de Maio?

Palantyre

#23 Post by Palantyre » 04 Jul 2009 18:10

I'd like to imagine DeMaio has (rightly) sued them for being a discrace and sucking balls at doing epic fantasy hero metal. And the judge (R J Dio) will sentence them to a lifetime of polishing other bands' prop swords and such paraphernalia.

Hey, a man can dream, eh?

West Virginia Mule

#24 Post by West Virginia Mule » 04 Jul 2009 23:29

I have never listened to them.
KILROY WAS HERE

Perpetual_Burn

#25 Post by Perpetual_Burn » 05 Jul 2009 00:41

Palantyre wrote:I'd like to imagine DeMaio has (rightly) sued them for being a discrace and sucking balls at doing epic fantasy hero metal. And the judge (R J Dio) will sentence them to a lifetime of polishing other bands' prop swords and such paraphernalia.

Hey, a man can dream, eh?

Jesus that's a bit extreme :lol: I think they're a good band :)

Palantyre

#26 Post by Palantyre » 05 Jul 2009 06:03

Extreme, yeah. See, my life is so empty and drab I have to compensate with the occasional hyperbole.

:)

Spectrum

#27 Post by Spectrum » 08 Jul 2009 11:56

Palantyre wrote:I'd like to imagine DeMaio has (rightly) sued them for being a discrace and sucking balls at doing epic fantasy hero metal.
I don't think Joey D is one to talk here.
- Spectrum
Did someone apply the "Half-Moron" template to your base creature?
Source: Order of the Stick

Palantyre

#28 Post by Palantyre » 08 Jul 2009 14:21

You think wrong!

rdyfrde

#29 Post by rdyfrde » 08 Jul 2009 16:39

Perpetual_Burn wrote:Does anyone have any ideas to why Rhapsody are in a legal battle with Joey de Maio?
They want to leave the label and he's claiming that they're breaking their contract. Or something along those lines. So basically he's locked them out of doing anything under the Rhapsody of Fire name. Kind of like what happen to Helloween in the early 90's with Noise records.

DiehardBGfan

#30 Post by DiehardBGfan » 10 Jul 2009 01:06

I happen to be a fan of Rhapsody and I think they are a great "Fantasy Metal" group, Besides I'm glad that Symphony Of the enchanted Lands II had Christopher Lee on it.

The Rider Of Rohan

#31 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 10 Jul 2009 21:47

rdyfrde wrote:
Perpetual_Burn wrote:Does anyone have any ideas to why Rhapsody are in a legal battle with Joey de Maio?
They want to leave the label and he's claiming that they're breaking their contract. Or something along those lines. So basically he's locked them out of doing anything under the Rhapsody of Fire name. Kind of like what happen to Helloween in the early 90's with Noise records.
Makes you wonder why. Rhapsody owes a lot to DeMaio imo. He made a lot of dreams come true for the band. Working with full orchestration, hooking them up with Chris Lee, getting them on a European and American tour opening for Manowar.... That's a lot of effort put into one band.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Dreamflight

#32 Post by Dreamflight » 11 Jul 2009 20:58

I like them, specially the long epics and ballads, however they get boring after a while.
End Of An Era about bullfights wrote:like my mother used to say: "quit playing with your food!"

Andreas

#33 Post by Andreas » 11 Aug 2009 01:25

This is actually one of my favourite bands. Even my elder brother, who looks down a bit upon everything that's not classical (he's not the only one) likes them.

Only thing I don't like is their fantasy bullshit. Fantasy is OK, but their stories are way too cheesy.

kalrhael

#34 Post by kalrhael » 14 Aug 2009 11:12

Rhapsody I can appreciate their style and influence, love most of their songs. But it breaks my heart they're having trouble with MCM, I mean we're metal heads! Wheres our comradeship? Brothers of metal! Hail and kill, the templars of steel, crush the infidels, death to false metal, etc. etc. I MEAN CMOOON! :evil:

Imo, we should take a lesson from history, you know how kingdoms would sometimes wed their princess to some monarch of another nation to preserve the peace? That's how Joey and Rhapsody should do business.... wed their children, then form a band together. How this will solve their legal issues I've not an idea, but something tells me if it can preserve the peace between raging empires, It can fix whatever trouble these guys are having!

Orodaran

#35 Post by Orodaran » 14 Aug 2009 12:40

Well, sorry to break your "Santa Claus does not exist" bubble, but music is a business - even for Manowar and for Joey De Maio :wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Spectrum

#36 Post by Spectrum » 15 Aug 2009 18:51

It is no great surprise that Rhapsody and Manowar would end up fighting, if you think about it. Both bands have lyrics expressing a very fanatic black-and-white ideology, where everyone who does not agree with "us" is labelled as evil/traitors/cowards, someone to be hated. This ideology is probably not pure fiction, but based to some extent on the band members' actual beliefs. With such a judgemental outlook I imagine it is easy to make new enemies: "I can't believe Joey/Luca did that. I thought he was a True Brother of Metal (TM), but I see he was just faking it. Now I hate him."
- Spectrum

Orodaran

#37 Post by Orodaran » 15 Aug 2009 20:18

Well, Manowar have that attitude, but not Rhapsody; they've always been about peace and love and emerald swords and silly and cheesy fantasy stories written in poor english. Manowar has a lyric in a song going "If you're not into metal you are not my friend", Rhapsody never wrote something about "if you don't believe in peace and love and unicorns you shall be damned".
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Spectrum

#38 Post by Spectrum » 16 Aug 2009 11:29

Orodaran wrote:Well, Manowar have that attitude, but not Rhapsody; they've always been about peace and love and emerald swords and silly and cheesy fantasy stories written in poor english. Manowar has a lyric in a song going "If you're not into metal you are not my friend", Rhapsody never wrote something about "if you don't believe in peace and love and unicorns you shall be damned".
Rhapsody's lyrical ideology is friendlier than that of Manowar, but it is still very black-and-white. It is a story of PURE GOOD! versus PURE EVIL! and only a single gray character (Dargor) among the bunch. Besides, the Rhapsody ideal of "good" is not only about love and harmony, but also about hating the evil ones and craving bloody revenge.
- Spectrum

Orodaran

#39 Post by Orodaran » 16 Aug 2009 11:50

Well, the way you put it I'd tend to agree with you, but for me it's really not a case of ideology, but just of bad writing and insufficient storytelling skills :P which incidentally translates in the "ideology" you described :wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Palantyre

#40 Post by Palantyre » 16 Aug 2009 20:46

I still rather see it as a clash of Manowar's ideology of being Awesome, clashing with Rhapsody's ideology of sucking ass. :)

Cerbere

#41 Post by Cerbere » 26 Aug 2009 04:05

lucky... Yeah I really don't like Manowar

Palantyre

#42 Post by Palantyre » 28 Aug 2009 21:35

Captain, sensors are detecting epic amounts of fail in this thread.

Blastbeat

#43 Post by Blastbeat » 28 Aug 2009 21:51

true, too much about Manowar in a Rhapsody topic :?

Palantyre

#44 Post by Palantyre » 28 Aug 2009 22:16

Hmm, yeah, you're right, that does kinda feel kinda insulting towards Manowar. I'll stop.

Gandalf de Grijze

#45 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 28 Aug 2009 23:28

both bands suck badly
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

Orodaran

#46 Post by Orodaran » 29 Aug 2009 00:03

But only one of those bands wrote these songs:

Mountains
The Power of Thy Sword
March for Revenge (by the Soldiers of Death)
Blood of My Enemies
Guyana (The Cult of the Damned)
Gates of Valhalla
Dark Avenger
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Blastbeat

#47 Post by Blastbeat » 29 Aug 2009 00:55

Orodaran wrote:But only one of those bands wrote these songs:

Mountains
The Power of Thy Sword
March for Revenge (by the Soldiers of Death)
Blood of My Enemies
Guyana (The Cult of the Damned)
Gates of Valhalla
Dark Avenger
Sorry, I can't remember, are they on Symphony of Enchanted lands? The titles sound more like they're from Power of the Dragonflame... hmm

Andreas

#48 Post by Andreas » 29 Aug 2009 09:38

I'm pretty sure it's not Rhapsody. Even for them, the song titles are too lame.

Orodaran

#49 Post by Orodaran » 29 Aug 2009 11:46

Now seriously... you can't really tell that those titles are worse than "The Myth of the Holy Sword", "Sacred Power of Raging Winds", "Steelgods of the Last Apocalypse" or "Triumph for my Magic Steel"....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Spectrum

#50 Post by Spectrum » 29 Aug 2009 16:36

I think both bands have many cool song titles. "The Power of Thy Sword" is a great title. So is "Steelgods of the Last Apocalypse".
- Spectrum