Earthquake in Italy - Italian forumers please be save

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Sentinel

Earthquake in Italy - Italian forumers please be save

#1 Post by Sentinel » 06 Apr 2009 12:40

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512623,00.html

Please tell us you´re okay! Oro, Gimli??
:|
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Gandalf de Grijze

#2 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 06 Apr 2009 12:46

most italian forumers live north.. so i guess they are fine
just hope that out of the few that don't live north none live in that region
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

End Of An Era

#3 Post by End Of An Era » 06 Apr 2009 12:47

get your hairy or skinny ass online!!!!

Belgarion

#4 Post by Belgarion » 06 Apr 2009 13:21

I never thought Italy was even earthquake prone. I hope Oro and Gimli are okay.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Orodaran

#5 Post by Orodaran » 06 Apr 2009 15:11

Thanks for your concerns folks.... as Gimli already said we're most northeners, he's in Turin (north / weast) and I am in Milan (north / centre), the closest to the earthquake is Twister but he lives in Rome and everything is ok there...

I just checked the news, right now the death toll rose to 100 and it's bound to go up again I'm afraid... I hope they can delivery all the best help possible 'cause people there are in a bloody mess right now :?
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Gandalf de Grijze

#6 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 06 Apr 2009 15:15

i know i am big, but i am by far not as hairy as Dome!
Plus, a white wizard is a far cry from an axe wielding dwarf
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

Luna.Dome

#7 Post by Luna.Dome » 06 Apr 2009 16:40

Here!!

I'm fine, and noone i know was involved, but it seems a complete mess down there
No'am wrote:
Quoting Antinowhere League's 'So What', I wrote: I drunk that, i drunk this, I've spewed up on a pint of piss....
That's because you drink Heineken
---

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 06 Apr 2009 17:10

I can imagine.

Beren Ercharmion

#9 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 06 Apr 2009 19:03

Belgarion wrote:I never thought Italy was even earthquake prone.
The European and African meet there, and they are splintered into a whole lot of smaller ones. And those small parts cause some earthquakes from time to time.
The most well known earthquake was most possibly the on in 1997, when the Basilica di San Francesco in Assisi got partly destroyed.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Orodaran

#10 Post by Orodaran » 06 Apr 2009 19:31

And that was not even the deadliest - I believe that the one that razed to the ground Messina and Reggio Calabria (one is in Sicily, one on the mainland and they both face each other divided by the strait that legend made already famous with Scilla and Caryddis) one century ago was the worst.... and still, there have been also in not so distant decades serious earthquakes, so, all in all, Italy is *definitively* a very sismic zone....

EDIT: Adding the Wiki page that lists the earthquakes, as you can see in century or little more there has been some very serious ones...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ea ... s_in_Italy
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Skyclad

#11 Post by Skyclad » 06 Apr 2009 19:58

I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I heard the earth's crust there is actually pizza crust. It was just a mtter of time before the magma at the earht's core caused the pizza crust to rise and expand. If there's any Italian women that need a place to stay and are between the ages of 18 and 19 1/2, drop me a line.
"The Simpsons is not real life"-Skyclads mom.

My My... MySPace: http://www.myspace.com/thetruebritton

Deliverance

#12 Post by Deliverance » 06 Apr 2009 20:19

Skyclad wrote: I heard the earth's crust there is actually pizza crust.
Typical for Italy :P

Nah, seriously, I'm glad you're ok guys!!! Although it's sad for the people who lived there.......
"Young knight learn, to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows.
Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars.
Wrestle well and wield lance, spear, sword and dagger manfully; whose use in others’ hands is wasted."

www.sabaton.nl

Sentinel

#13 Post by Sentinel » 07 Apr 2009 08:26

It´s a relief to hear from you guys!
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

Luna.Dome

#14 Post by Luna.Dome » 07 Apr 2009 16:00

Reggio Calabria is the main city of the region i came from, and the 1908 Messina/Reggio heartquake was just one of the many happened there. Down there we're waiting our personal 'big one'
No'am wrote:
Quoting Antinowhere League's 'So What', I wrote: I drunk that, i drunk this, I've spewed up on a pint of piss....
That's because you drink Heineken
---

Wicked Child

#15 Post by Wicked Child » 13 Apr 2009 16:08

I'm so sorry for Italy and your people, specially because I am an Italian descendant (my last name is Bevilacqua).

I hope noone of you guys or your families have had any damage to your lives or properties.

I hope also that the UN and solidary countries manage to send help for the affected people.
You're going to hell. But not the cool one, that's where I'll go.
You go to the crappy hell.

(old wise) bombadil

#16 Post by (old wise) bombadil » 14 Apr 2009 00:38

Orodaran wrote:Thanks for your concerns folks.... as Gimli already said we're most northeners, he's in Turin (north / weast) and I am in Milan (north / centre), the closest to the earthquake is Twister but he lives in Rome and everything is ok there...

I just checked the news, right now the death toll rose to 100 and it's bound to go up again I'm afraid... I hope they can delivery all the best help possible 'cause people there are in a bloody mess right now :?
Final death toll is 293.
Last friday in l'Aquila they celebrated the funeral for most of them, seeing 205 caskets in the same square is far from what we are used to see in Italy, this is of course one of the biggest tragedy Italy has faced across the last 2 centuries. May they have peace now, many of them were students, some musicians, some were new born babies and some old people.

Oro, I guess the closest to the earthquake is Sguaina, Marche region is next to Abruzzo, but no injured people were reported there, so he should be fine.
You're not going to change the world by hating music you don't like... I'm the Stranger

(old wise) bombadil

#17 Post by (old wise) bombadil » 14 Apr 2009 00:57

Luna.Dome wrote:Reggio Calabria is the main city of the region i came from, and the 1908 Messina/Reggio heartquake was just one of the many happened there. Down there we're waiting our personal 'big one'
That was the deadliest ever happened in Italy. And don't forget Neaples and Sicily still have active volcanos.

A part from the earthquake itself, a big issue is that most of the buildings in southern italy are not earthquake proof, while italian laws say builders have to proceed that way. It's too late now to start with trials, when nearly 300 dead and 30.000 homeless already happened.

BTW, as you worried for Dome and Oro, be sure this will never happen to them (and me too), unless they will move from north of Italy :wink: Milan, Turin, Venice are based on a sedimentary plane, far from the dangerous crust, whenever earthquakes happen here are often very soft quakes.
You're not going to change the world by hating music you don't like... I'm the Stranger

Led Guardian

#18 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Apr 2009 03:43

And Berlusconi leaps to the rescue of the homeless, pulling all stops to aid them. He feels their pain. Or maybe not.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Wicked Child

#19 Post by Wicked Child » 14 Apr 2009 18:04

Led Guardian wrote:And Berlusconi leaps to the rescue of the homeless, pulling all stops to aid them. He feels their pain. Or maybe not.
That's another reason to feel sorry for Italy.
You're going to hell. But not the cool one, that's where I'll go.
You go to the crappy hell.