Cannibal Holocaust

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Led Guardian

Cannibal Holocaust

#1 Post by Led Guardian » 27 May 2010 08:03

This movie is vile and repugnant. I feel a degree of self-loathing just for watching it.

Anyone else seen it?
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Belgarion

Re: Cannibal Holocaust

#2 Post by Belgarion » 27 May 2010 09:37

I haven't, but now that you mentioned it, I checked it on the internet and some people say it's a masterpiece. Nevertheless, I won't watch a sick film where animals are really tortured and killed just for the sake of entertainment.
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Andreas

#3 Post by Andreas » 27 May 2010 13:15

+1

Led Guardian

#4 Post by Led Guardian » 28 May 2010 23:09

Good answer.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Baby_Kürsch

#5 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 08 Jun 2010 07:20

I actually own the special edition 2 disc dvd set and have gotten 13 different people to watch this movie. Let me explain this. When my friends and I discovered this movie in high school the contest was to see how many people each one of us could get to watch the movie. My friend Anna is still winning I think with about 17 people. Its hard for me to watch now and shows an era of irresponsible film making I hope we never see again. But the storyline is amazing and would love to see a remake of this film that isn't so brutal and offensive. All in all I would say its worth watching once. If your disgusted by animal cruelty I would suggest getting the special edition dvd because there is an animal cruelty free version. But if you like watching monkeys getting the tops of their skulls chopped off, piglets getting shot in the head, musk rats getting their throats cut, massive snapping turtles getting gutted, and snakes getting chopped in half the animal cruelty version is right for you.
Last edited by Baby_Kürsch on 09 Jun 2010 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
wade-newb wrote:It was just me, Blind Guardian, and a whole lotta awkward D:

End Of An Era

#6 Post by End Of An Era » 08 Jun 2010 23:44

Baby_Kürsch wrote:I actually own the special edition 2 disc dvd set and have gotten 13 different people to watch this movie. Let me explain this. When my friends and I discovered this movie in high school the contest was to see how many people each one of us could get to watch the movie. My friend Anna is still winning I think with about 17 people. Its hard for me to watch now and shows an era of irresponsible film making I hope we never see again. But the storyline is amazing and would love to see a remake of this film that isn't so brutal and offensive. All in all I would say its worth watching once. If your disgusted by animal cruelty I would suggest getting the special edition dvd because there is an animal cruelty free version. But if you like watching monkeys getting the tops of their skulls chopped off, piglets getting shot in the head, musk rats getting their throats cut, massive snapping turtles getting gutted, and snakes getting chopped in half the animal cruelty free version is right for you.
Thanks for this answer, this is by far the most helpful one ATM :)

Baby_Kürsch

#7 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 09 Jun 2010 07:01

Here is a little bit on the movie in case you where wondering before you set off to watch a film that will forever mar the halls of film history. If you are at all interested in films like this Salò/1000 Days of Sodom is another obscene vulgar movie in some what the same fashion.
Cannibal Holocaust (1980) is a controversial exploitation film directed by Ruggero Deodato from a screenplay by Gianfranco Clerici. Filmed in the Amazon Rainforest, the movie tells the story of four documentarians who journey deep into the jungle to film indigenous tribes. Two months later, after they fail to return, famous anthropologist Harold Monroe travels on a rescue mission to find the group. Eventually, he recovers and views their lost cans of film, which reveal the missing filmmakers' fate. The film stars Robert Kerman as Monroe, Carl Gabriel Yorke as director Alan Yates, Francesca Ciardi as Alan's girlfriend Faye, Perry Pirkanen as cameraman Jack Anders, and Luca Barbareschi as fellow cameraman Mark Tomaso.

Cannibal Holocaust is a well known exploitation film because of the controversy following its release. After premiering in Italy, the film was seized by a local magistrate, and Deodato was arrested on obscenity charges. He was later accused of making a snuff film due to rumors which claimed that certain actors were killed on camera. Although Deodato was later cleared of these charges, the film was banned in Italy, the UK, Australia, and several other countries due to its graphic depiction of gore, sexual violence, and the inclusion of six genuine animal deaths. Many nations have since revoked the ban, yet the film is still barred in several countries. This notoriety notwithstanding, some critics view Cannibal Holocaust as a social commentary about civilized society.

t.a.j.

#8 Post by t.a.j. » 09 Jun 2010 08:29

Ok, I know I shouldn't take Baby-Kürsch seriously, but there really is an "animal-cruelty free" version out there? Where the just cut out those scenes? See no evil, indeed... goodness. The shallowness.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Baby_Kürsch

#9 Post by Baby_Kürsch » 09 Jun 2010 16:41

t.a.j. wrote:Ok, I know I shouldn't take Baby-Kürsch seriously, but there really is an "animal-cruelty free" version out there? Where the just cut out those scenes? See no evil, indeed... goodness. The shallowness.
lol there really is an animal cruelty free version and yes they literally just cut those scenes out of the film. The movie just kinda jumps forward and its a tad bit confusing.

T3hOverlord

#10 Post by T3hOverlord » 04 Jul 2010 18:56

wow, i thought EVERYONE has seen this movie, guess I was wrong, shame on youa ll for not seeing it, :?

Andreas

#11 Post by Andreas » 01 Aug 2010 13:55

You're funny :)