South Africa 2010 World Cup

In this section, you can talk relaxedly about everyday matters, and also engage in more serious discussions. Please try to keep this place accessible to everyone and write your posts in English.
Orodaran

South Africa 2010 World Cup

#1 Post by Orodaran » 08 Jun 2010 19:58

Hey, the big event is nigh, no thread about it? as a reigning world champion, I claim the right to open it :P

So, new Blind Guardian album on the way, and as usual, a World Cup to distract us just a tiny bit from the wait... this time in South Africa, after Italy won in Germany 4 years ago, and I think that the worst World Cup to witness is the one after your team won :P not only because it's always hard to repeat yourself, but also because I don't see Italy as strong as 4 years ago and I just can't see a long road for them. Furthermore, there's always a bit of comforting wickedness in seeing the champions fail (who didn't rejoice in seeing France coming back home at the first round in 2002 or seeing Brazil kicked away from France last time?), and people will be there waiting for Italy to fail, and we WILL fail, they'll want to see us fall and we WILL fall..... at least I hope we'll go down fighting :wink:

For the final victory, I think Spain, Argentina, Brazil and England are all set up either for big failures, or the final victory; I see all of these teams potentially winning all matches, or falling ingloriously at the round of 16... and let's not forget the germans who are always diehards (and I will root for them should they outlive Italy, ha!)

Now let the month where nothing else but soccer matters begin!!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Rob The Wise

Re: South Africa 2010 World Cup

#2 Post by Rob The Wise » 08 Jun 2010 20:08

Yeah, was also thinkin about making a thread about this. Anyways, I think Holland wins.. Even though Robben is a bit weak, they still have a really strong team! GO HOLLAND GO!

Frozen within

#3 Post by Frozen within » 08 Jun 2010 20:39

There's no possible way for Holland to seize this cup with a defense as solid as diarrhea in a hurricane (visualize this, it's fun !). I'm sure the Dutch will provide a great deal of entertainment and memorable moments, as always, but winning the world championship has hardly ever been as unrealistic as it is this time. Spain is likely to go for gold, probably meeting either Brazil or Germany in the final match. In which case I'd like to see Spain claiming victory.
Eat more vegetables !

The Rider Of Rohan

#4 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 08 Jun 2010 21:34

Well, if all is sure I am pretty confident Holland will give Deutschland a good beating. 8)
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Rob The Wise

#5 Post by Rob The Wise » 08 Jun 2010 21:36

Uh, their defence isn't THAT horrible. There are worse, and whats wrong with using some young players in the defence, maybe they will shine thru? And hollands offense is.. to say the least.. Impressive. They will easily get through the group plays.. Maybe it will be hard for the defence in the quarters.. but with an offence like theirs it would be no hard to score some goals :lol:

I do not think Spain win, if not Holland I think Germany or perhaps Argentina..

EDIT: THE HELL.. NO YOUNG PLAYERS IN THE DEFENCE EXCEPT VAN DER WIEL.. well then I say : there's no wrong in using some of the clasics.. but hell.. their defence is like in median 27years + :/ should take away Ooijer and Mathijsen and put in some fresh blood.

Orodaran

#6 Post by Orodaran » 08 Jun 2010 21:43

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, if all is sure I am pretty confident Holland will give Deutschland a good beating. 8)
If it happens, it won't be before the semi-finals :wink:
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Rob The Wise

#7 Post by Rob The Wise » 08 Jun 2010 21:48

Orodaran wrote:
The Rider Of Rohan wrote:Well, if all is sure I am pretty confident Holland will give Deutschland a good beating. 8)
If it happens, it won't be before the semi-finals :wink:

Well then we shall wait, :P Prepare germans, the flying dutchmen are coming (lol)

Beren Ercharmion

#8 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 08 Jun 2010 21:53

Germany is playing with its youngest team since 1930 or so.
I'm really courious how the team will perform, with a couple of good players missing (Ballack, Adler, Rolfes, Westermann). But the team definitely has the potential to go far.
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Little Dragon

#9 Post by Little Dragon » 09 Jun 2010 08:04

Frozen within wrote:There's no possible way for Holland to seize this cup with a defense as solid as diarrhea in a hurricane (visualize this, it's fun !).
i did it. and it's no real fun when you visualize it while you have nutella for breakfast. :P
YEE-HAW MOTHERFUCKER!

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which
I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
it’s a very very...

...Mad world

Mackasfour

#10 Post by Mackasfour » 09 Jun 2010 09:23

Don't really like soccer but... AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!! OI OI OI!!!
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Saurius

#11 Post by Saurius » 09 Jun 2010 12:54

I'm not sure at all. Saw Germany playing a friendly a few days back and good fucking damn... They played very very very well. High tempo, lots of chances, really attractive football. It was against Bosnia-Herzegovina and they played in line-up most teams would be playing against the Germans at the WC. The first 60 minutes Bosnia could keep up (Germany attacking relentlessly, Bosnia countering all the time) but after that the Germans just kept on attacking relentlessly and won eventually. My dad and I were both in awe of the nice football of the Germans... which well is not so good for the Dutch.

Though I think if Germany and the Dutch meet, it might be like Barcelona - Arsenal. A very very nice game 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » 09 Jun 2010 14:13

I already told a Spanish friend of mine that Spain will not win the World Cup. They'll make it easily through the group stage, but they won't become champions. My bet is either on Brazil or Germany. Not Argentina, Maradona is too weird to become a successful coach.

ThePKH

#13 Post by ThePKH » 09 Jun 2010 16:57

Hmh. No interesting teams there. ;)
Well, I made the whole thing more interesting for me by doing some careful betting. :)
I still am the terror that flaps in the night!

Orodaran

#14 Post by Orodaran » 09 Jun 2010 18:51

Andreas wrote:I already told a Spanish friend of mine that Spain will not win the World Cup. They'll make it easily through the group stage, but they won't become champions. My bet is either on Brazil or Germany. Not Argentina, Maradona is too weird to become a successful coach.
Well, it has to be said that Spain has a global history to start as kicker of everyone's asses, and then failing more or less miserabily... it's only in Euro 2008 that the expectations have been finally met...

And from Argentina I expect everything, from winning the final 7-0, or going back home in the first round :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Thorin_Eichenschild

#15 Post by Thorin_Eichenschild » 09 Jun 2010 21:00

Orodaran wrote: Well, it has to be said that Spain has a global history to start as kicker of everyone's asses, and then failing more or less miserabily... it's only in Euro 2008 that the expectations have been finally met...
And because of that I think that they'll win the world cup. Saw them yesterday vs poland....aweseme football again and if you how many great player are only substitutes....maybe Torres or Fabregas.

For germany, I expect that they will reach the quarter final and there should be the end. It's a good team, that's for sure, but I think their time will come in 4 years and there are some other great and young players Löw (that idiot) not even nominated for this wc.

And I'm curious how the netherlands will play in this championship, especially in the ko round. The game vs hungary was pretty impressive.
HAIL TO THE GRAIL Grailknights Battlechoir \m/ :twisted: \m/

-Mitglied der 3 lustigen 2-
*other 1 of the 2 Jay's*

Belgarion

#16 Post by Belgarion » 09 Jun 2010 23:49

Go Greece!
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

God gave men a brain and a penis and only enough blood to work one at a time.

Saurius

#17 Post by Saurius » 10 Jun 2010 00:34

Torin, so was Germany against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Spain vs Poland...

Then again it has to be said, the players of Poland, Hungary and Bosnia-Herzegovina all haven't been really focused on football the past month after the end of the competitions... we'll see from Friday onward 8)
"Sing it you pussies!"

Daijin

#18 Post by Daijin » 10 Jun 2010 11:43

I'm glad that I don't know anything about football anymore since I stopped playing myself, because in my calculations Germany gets kicked out in the quarter finals and the Netherlands win the cup. I'd hate to be proven right, though the latter (Holland winning) seems acceptable to me.
So, supposed a robot wants to kill all the humans that makes him "a radical".
- Bender
Well, the truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
- Elim Garak

Maglor's Fate

#19 Post by Maglor's Fate » 10 Jun 2010 12:56

A
South Africa: Playing in their own country the hosts may progress to the knock-out stages, but it will be difficult to go further on. They need key player Pienaar in good shape...
Mexico: Pace and fantasy in front. If the appear solid in defence too they can go far.
Uruguay: Solid team, but i think that they'll get knocked out from the group.
France: I don't believe them. Some top players there. To the quarter-finals i think.or maybe knocked out from the group??

B
Argentina: They can make it to the final. But will lose there. :wink: They can tear you apart on their day, but they appear anxious at the final stages. Plus the coach maradona effect.
Nigeria: Very athletic and stong in attack. With luck they can progress.
Greece: All that matters is our defense. Hit on the counter and set-pieces.
S. Korea: ?? Strong team spirit and pace.

C
England: They have some world class players and can make it to the end. And capello is on the bench.
USA: Good strong team, some players can make the difference.
Algeria: Good footballers, can make the surprise.
Slovenia: I don't expect much of them..

D
Germany: A "new" team but the mentality is always there.i believe will not go sooo far.
Australia: In this difficult group the Aussies will have difficulties to progress.
Serbia: A lot of talent and they can make the surprize.
Ghana: The enthousiasm can do miracles. Will cause problems to the others i think.

E
Netherlands: Another team that can tear you apart on their day. But they have to be cautious at the final stages...
Denmark: They tried to refresh the team..don't know what to expect..
Japan: Don't expect much more than passion from these lads.
Cameroun: They''ll fight with the danish but it's difficult.

F
Italy: Aged, but Italy is Italy. Find their rhythm and can make it far.
Paraguay: Talent and they can deliver some solid performances on the pitch.
New Zealand: Surprize if they take a point. :|
Slovakia: Don;t know. I think they are weak.

G
Brazil: They can win it again.
N. Korea: Not sure what to expect.Underdogs in this group.
Ivory coast: Strong and tall boys, run all the time and they have some players that can carry them too far.
Portugal: I think that the portugese will make a good tournament. Semis??

H
Spain: I don;t think they'll take it. We'll see.
Switzerland: Good team but they need to put out their best to progress from this group.
Honduras: I think they''ll play some good football.
Chile: This team can make it through. Some fantastic players there.

Andreas

#20 Post by Andreas » 11 Jun 2010 15:49

Only 11 minutes...

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#21 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 11 Jun 2010 18:17

Mexico should've scored a couple of goals in the first half,same goes for south africa in the second half.now let's just wait for the really interesting match of the day!Uruguay vs France.i think uruguay will win.
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

Dorian Falkenmond

#22 Post by Dorian Falkenmond » 12 Jun 2010 12:06

Orodaran wrote: and people will be there waiting for Italy to fail, and we WILL fail, they'll want to see us fall and we WILL fall.....
I always wait and hope for Italy to fail :wink: (at least since the semifinal in 2006 :? )

No, seriously I'm really excited about which team will make it in the end. As for Germany I fear it won't work so fine. They have the potential but they are very young and unexperienced. Nevertheless I do hope they'll play a great tournament!
I really liked to watch the Netherlands in 2008. Pity they didn't make it further.

I'd go for Argentinia or Spain as new champion. But we'll see...
Tears from my eyes.
Blood from my heart.
Wash away all these lies,
And tear me apart!
Purifying pain

Jo HANNES! aka Cid aka True Banana-Slayer

nerjal

#23 Post by nerjal » 12 Jun 2010 23:22

Starting matches have been boring me...

Messi played nice but Argentina is an average team... but still fear them a bit

About England: Shame on Green... not the kind of thing to let happen in a World Cup
Bravery is not a function of Firepower - JC Denton

Orodaran

#24 Post by Orodaran » 12 Jun 2010 23:24

I watched it live, and when I saw Capello turned away from the cameras, I was imaging all the cussing blasphemies he was pouring out in anger :lol:

Not justifying Green in any way but could it be that all the complaints about the ball were somehow true? I remember Buffon (Italy's goalkeeper, you know) criticizing the ball too....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

nerjal

#25 Post by nerjal » 12 Jun 2010 23:46

Perhaps... I don't think so cause that's a recurrent incident for weekend-only players lol. But even if it had slipped, he should crouch his body in such a way for the ball to stop on his chest or legs. That's what pro keepers do to avoid this embarassment
Bravery is not a function of Firepower - JC Denton

Saurius

#26 Post by Saurius » 12 Jun 2010 23:59

a lot of keepers have complained, but damn... england and argentina contenders for the cup? fuck no... argentina, only messi was pulling strings. with those players, its not a team at all. then england, no one really stood out. still cant understand that monkey of a capello not bringing bale from tottenham and walcott of arsenal?! but i don't see them going further than quarter finals.
"Sing it you pussies!"

Daijin

#27 Post by Daijin » 13 Jun 2010 13:37

It's always the same ritual: goalies complaining about the new ball and its erratic spin in the air. I remember this kind of complaint from the World Cup of 1990 and it has been repeated ever since.
So, supposed a robot wants to kill all the humans that makes him "a radical".
- Bender
Well, the truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
- Elim Garak

Belgarion

#28 Post by Belgarion » 13 Jun 2010 17:58

The most boring WM ever?
In this world there are two tragedies, one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it. Oscar Wilde

Frozen within

#29 Post by Frozen within » 13 Jun 2010 18:30

So far definitely yeah, haven't seen a decent match yet, but I know this will change once Germany hits the field tonight. As always I expect them to go far, and with good football. The Australians aren't pushovers though, a draw is the most likely result imo. Nice to see that Ghana spanked the Serbs, what another huge letdown the latter team proved to be this afternoon ... It's time for some football on a higher level, it has been awful basically. Go Deutschland !
Eat more vegetables !

Beren Ercharmion

#30 Post by Beren Ercharmion » 13 Jun 2010 21:06

is there as much complaining about the vuvuzela's going on in other countries as well?

Over here athe news are filled with it...
Ludwig Ganghofer wrote: Wen Gott liebt den lässt er fallen in dieses Land.

Orodaran

#31 Post by Orodaran » 13 Jun 2010 21:12

It's not a national case but definitively everyone is pissed off here as well at hearing those infernal things :P

btw, Germany is winning 2-0 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Desert_Storm

#32 Post by Desert_Storm » 13 Jun 2010 21:36

Belgarion wrote:The most boring WM ever?
I guess you aren't watching Germany playing right now :P
I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine
Also, a stupid europeoid with snake primitive language

Orodaran

#33 Post by Orodaran » 13 Jun 2010 21:58

How can you call boring a match that ends 4-0? :P (and Germany may still score again!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Desert_Storm

#34 Post by Desert_Storm » 13 Jun 2010 22:25

No you got me wrong there, that's what I meant, this years world cup isn't that boring after all when you watched the game

Orodaran

#35 Post by Orodaran » 13 Jun 2010 22:32

Mh, yeah, re-reading now it's clear what you meant. For whatever reason I mis-interpreted your post as if it was saying "If you think so far it's boring, watch Germany, it's even more boring"... but I was wrong :wink:

Well, Germany is the first of the big teams so far that didn't let down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Belgarion

#36 Post by Belgarion » 14 Jun 2010 00:21

Germany's gameplay made me enthusiastic for the future games. It was really great.

We can easily say that this match started the WC 2010.

Über Alles versus Down Under? No big surprise there :)

Saurius

#37 Post by Saurius » 14 Jun 2010 02:08

dutch viewers are bitching about the vuvu's as well
"Sing it you pussies!"

Mackasfour

#38 Post by Mackasfour » 14 Jun 2010 04:32

Not surprised, I knew we'd lose that one, easily
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#39 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 14 Jun 2010 04:35

i really expected more from you aussies ya know!shame on you!

Mackasfour

#40 Post by Mackasfour » 14 Jun 2010 04:43

We're not hyped and we're still over rated :P Kewell didn't play either for dumb reasons.

Andreas

#41 Post by Andreas » 14 Jun 2010 08:47

Thorin_Eichenschild wrote: For germany, I expect that they will reach the quarter final and there should be the end. It's a good team, that's for sure, but I think their time will come in 4 years and there are some other great and young players Löw (that idiot) not even nominated for this wc.
Shut up man. Germany will probably make it to the semifinals at least :P

Saurius

#42 Post by Saurius » 14 Jun 2010 11:39

kewell didnt play cause he isnt fit enough, and why risk him getting injured in this match when you are 2-0 down and left playing with 10 men?
"Sing it you pussies!"

donkeyB

#43 Post by donkeyB » 14 Jun 2010 12:22

I wish to have enough money to have a chance to visit South Africa this time. It's a huge ceremony, specially for a crazy fan of football like me.
But watching football over TV with friends is really good memories and I now am happy with it. Hopefully England will be the champion

Mackasfour

#44 Post by Mackasfour » 14 Jun 2010 13:07

Saurius wrote:kewell didnt play cause he isnt fit enough, and why risk him getting injured in this match when you are 2-0 down and left playing with 10 men?
Oh he's fit enough, he needs time to play, but they're being overprotective of the little girl :P he played in a lead up match against New Zealand me thinks.

Desert_Storm

#45 Post by Desert_Storm » 14 Jun 2010 21:20

Belgarion wrote:Germany's gameplay made me enthusiastic for the future games. It was really great.
Me too. And now Italy gets my hopes down again.

Bender B. Rodriguez

#46 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 14 Jun 2010 21:30

italy's getting some of their own medicine i'd say,they're losing against a pretty defensive team who took advantage of the only real chance they had to score.

The Rider Of Rohan

#47 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Jun 2010 21:35

Great match, Denmark didn't get a chance.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Orodaran

#48 Post by Orodaran » 14 Jun 2010 22:25

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:italy's getting some of their own medicine i'd say,they're losing against a pretty defensive team who took advantage of the only real chance they had to score.
Again with this myth that ALL Italy EVER does is playing defensive... sure they're not the most attacking team ever but to make it a trademark it's a bit too much IMO....

Anyway, 1-1 and a somehow nice Italy, I think qualification is quite at hand, I'm afraid however for when the knockout part will start :?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Bender B. Rodriguez

#49 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 14 Jun 2010 23:04

Orodaran wrote:
Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:italy's getting some of their own medicine i'd say,they're losing against a pretty defensive team who took advantage of the only real chance they had to score.
Again with this myth that ALL Italy EVER does is playing defensive... sure they're not the most attacking team ever but to make it a trademark it's a bit too much IMO....

Anyway, 1-1 and a somehow nice Italy, I think qualification is quite at hand, I'm afraid however for when the knockout part will start :?
Lippi was pretty pissed at the end,think he said something like "all they did was control the ball".Paraguay really disapoints me,they always qualify first in South America,great team during the qualifiers...then when they get to the one place where they have to show some balls,they especulate most of the time...

The match overall seemed boring to me,the two goals scored after a foul and a corner,and in both cases due to defensive mistakes,not much football to see between those two teams.But then again,they'll probably both qualify as 1st and 2nd to the next round as the other teams in the group aren't really that good.

Orodaran

#50 Post by Orodaran » 14 Jun 2010 23:07

Yeah, some teams qualify for the goals difference rule, Italy often qualifies for the "Thanks God other teams suck more anyway" rule :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------